How many people went straight to DJI instead of smaller drones first?

My first drone was the P3P. Bought a second one for backup. That was a year ago. Finally flew the backup this week, as the first one finally had a motor mount fail after over 1 million feet flown. Also just got the Typhoon H and having a blast with it! I tend to jump in the deep end on most things.

Started out on the cheap flybar copters, moving to a MSR 120 fixed, then to a Dromida drone and Syma XC5 which is still awesome for the 35.00 price which I've gotten so high up I can barely see it, and it's super stable compared to many, moved to a p3s, then a p3p, built a f550 which I almost love more than the phantom because you have to fly it but has options similar to the phantoms when engaged by remote, now I'm playing with a 260 FPV racer (it's a whole new level to control!!).
I can say that the basic drones didn't really teach how to fly the phantom because they are so attached to the app and basically fly themselves unless a error occurs, but the basic drones did teach better use of the sticks for taking pictures and video by combing roll,pitch,yaw movements

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Syma X5c (two of these), Syma F1, Latrax Alias, P3A

Since DJI maintains altitude flying it is a piece of cake compared to the others IMHO.

P3P first real drone, if you take it carefully and don't try anything you're not yet capable of you shouldn't run into any problems.

Keep 'em coming guys I find it interesting to see how everyone progressed to get here.
FlightOne I also have my pilots license, and other than the similar view I don't really see any correlation.
I think it's funny that the FAA is requiring a pilots license to fly these commercially, seeing as there's really nothing remotely related (except where not to fly).

Syma X5c (two of these), Syma F1, Latrax Alias, P3A

Since DJI maintains altitude flying it is a piece of cake compared to the others IMHO.

Agreed, the ability to just let go of the sticks and carry a conversation with the person next to you is so nice! Try that with the syma and see where you end up!

Reactions: Zeprider
I flew RC Gliders when I was a kid and then switched to RC off road cars. I continued to use the stick controller with the cars because it was more comfortable for me than a wheel controller. I am blown away at how easy the P3 is to fly. I am grateful to have some prior flight experience. It definitely helps to have the awareness when flying back towards me when controls are reversed. I think that's where most inexperienced pilots get in to trouble if having to make quick decision maneuvers.

Yeah i have and hope I don't regret it. Was standing outside one of those 'mankind' type shops yesterday and said to my wife that perhaps I should have started with something in the £100 mark. I just got one of those looks and quickly changed the conversation.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

The DJI Phantom 3 Pro was my first drone ever. I watched a few videos when I got it on how to fly and watched others fly their phantom. Flying doesn't get easier than this IMO. I was able to lift up to 100ft and land smoothly on my first attempt. I've never used the auto land feature.

Syma x5sw, and like many of you I have slammed this little quad and it keeps on ticking. I still like to fly this bird, it keeps me on my toes. I try stuff with this thing that I would never risk with my P4. My youngest son is coming home soon and he wants to fly the P4. He will have to learn on the x5 first. Like I have heard it said before " there are pilots who have crashed and there are others who will crash"

Reactions: ObiDon
The Parrot AR Drone 2.0 was my drone Genesis.
Actually, my Phantom 3 Pro' was my second last drone purchase.
See my SIG, for the fleet.

RedHotPoker
My first drone was a SYMA S5. No altitude control. I spent most of the time learning to control it while the head faced different directions. In pilot talk that is called situational awareness. Lack of situational awareness seems to be the cause of many crashes I read about on the forum. People get confused when they are looking at the drone and hit the stick without knowing instinctively that if it moves a certain way then the head is pointed a certain way. My next was a JXD 509 G. It had a barometer which was an amazing improvement. More time was spent understanding situational awareness. I did lose it in high winds. My big buy was a Hubsan H501S. I was frustrated with the short distance and spent a lot of time learning about the problems with wifi and 5.8ghz signal. Started using a spiral antenna and it improved a lot. Finally had a flyaway after a firmware update. They refused to do anything about it even though the forums were full of the same complaints and they removed the update from their website a week later while telling folks there was no problem and no complaints. I began dreaming about the DJI and saw they were the only one NOT using 5.8ghz wifi for image transmission. The Lightbridge technology is on no other drone and I appreciate it. Given my experience, I still needed a good bit of time learning about all the settings and capabilities of the DJI 3. I think that is why many novices have problems with the P3. They are overwhelmed and don't have the experience to deal with emergencies.

Practice makes perfect us musicians often tell each other. ;-)
Thumb or pinchers muscle memory, craft orientation, understanding mod values, camera functionality, intelligent flight battery knowledge, antenna placement, the list goes on. But if one shall actually spend the precious time wisely and RTFM!! Ha
The Phantom 3 Pro' may very well be one of the easiest drones to fly. But basic knowledge will make that happen, care free.
I love my drone. . . ;-)

RedHotPoker

My Dad bought me a HAK909 for my birthday last summer. It was bigger than a Phantom although it was mostly styrofoam. I liked it so much, I began watching youtubes and bought my P2V a few weeks later.

My first, I should say my son's 1st was a UDI quadcopter. He got it for Christmas. We both learned how to fly with that and got used to orientation and how to land and takeoff safely. He is a pro with it now. I upgraded in March to a P3S, which I love. I do fly it in ATTI mode sometimes. For take offs and landings, I do it all manually. It makes me feel like I have a little more control. I have recently been trying to hand catch and release. That takes some skill but is great for wet mornings or on a boat.

1st quad? P3P running version 1.1.9

gaui300sx : most unstable. almost flying like a flybarred heli
2. nano qx
3. 350qx(issues wid gopro on video)
4. p3a flown 4x since 6 months ago
lots of helis
and land rc
and water rc

I bought an RC airplane trainer ARF kit years ago...it never made it past it's maiden flight! Then I bought a Dura-Plane kit and transplanted all the electronics from the trainer to it, and taught myself how to fly it. I crashed that thing a bunch of times and it sure lived up to its name by being durable. It didn't have landing gear...I used to hand launch it, and shut the engine down to belly land it. It finally bit the dust when I clipped a tree branch and it crashed in the road and smashed the engine...luckily there wasn't any traffic. Bought my P3A in January and it's a blast to fly...I did a lot of studying and reading beforehand . It definitely helped having prior RC experience, even though it was an airplane.

I have 2 other quads a SYMA X8W that I hung A GOPro under. I crashed a few times, nothing serious, but learned quickly that the wind is not your friend. I also have an AirHog Millennium Falcon, of course, that I learned how to maneuver flying in close quarters. It is also great on bad weather days. Great training for avoiding obstacles and doing figure 8s. I don't fly the X8 much but the Falcon still gets used a lot. It's good practice.

P1 - P3S.... Still flying the p1, because its just nice playing around with it and because my phantom 3 standard is in for RMA... P1 may one of the sturdiest phantoms i have seen.. Ive crashed it once quite hard (fell from around 50 meters because a prop broke mid air... And it was completely ok, even the other props were alright. Going to play around with it a lot more :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik