Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

How many batteries do you have?

Discussion in 'Phantom 2 Discussion' started by dptcalvin, Dec 14, 2014.

1. dptcalvin

Just got my Phantom a couple weeks ago and I have 2 batteries total. Thinking about adding a 3rd, but they're so **** expensive. How many do you guys have and do you normally use them all on most outings?

2. jason

I have five batteries two 30 recharges three with 6 or less recharges. No I do not use all of them on any flight

3. RobertMfromLI

3 with 2 6,000mAh on order

4. p fandango

i've got 2 at the minute, but looking at 2 more after Christmas. I've got a big meet coming up so want to be in the air filming as much as possible which should be alot with a car charger

5. knuckles

I have 4. I thought it would be handy to not have to go back to hotel etc especially when I'm driving through some areas on vacation

6. sdtrojan

Bought 5 spares. Will not know if that is enough until I go out for a few flights after I get the Phantom 2 for my Christmas present. Coincidentally, I created a flight log in Excel that I will attached to this post. I know there are Apps out there now to track this stuff, and I almost added a Flytrex system to my set-up when they were building it, but decided I just don't need to drain more battery with it, plus if FAA is looking at that we don't need them in our business. The calculated fields in this are all done for you and are identified as being shaded gray, fields that have drop-down boxes associated are shaded in burnt orange.

Well apparently you cannot upload Excel files? PM me if you want a copy.

David

7. Fyod

If you really need to fly a lot get a good car inverter for the charger and 4 batteries will do.
    Since the charge time is about 45 mins, you'd have the first empty one charged by the time the fourth originally charged one is flown to empty.

8. d4ddyo

2. but with 3 you can almost fly continuously when you charge out on the field. with 4 definitely. but i'm sure you want to take a break LOL.. 3 gives you almost 1.5 hours of flying.

9. nhoover

I have 2 old dead ones (12 months old) that I've retired, 2 more that are ok but not great (over 50 flights on each), 1 newer DJI one, 1 almost new Limefuel and 2 more on order with my new P2 V2.

10. Fyod

I agree. This is why I have three.
    Four would be nice, but I have yet to use all three on one shoot. The most I've done is ~2.5 batteries worth or about 40mins of footage. Chopped that up into a nice 3min presentation.

11. mendezl

I am currently using a 100w car DC to AC inverter to charge my battery using the stock charger. Seems to work well. Should I use a larger inverter? Maybe 120w or is this one ok.

12. Nicodema

Why not get a 12v DJI charger, cut out the inverter/PSU losses?

13. dptcalvin

DJI rates these batteries for 300 cycles, if I'm not mistaken. What are your guys' experiences? I'm thinking it's much less than that.

14. Zeeener

I had a 75w inverter that I used for a two month road trip and it worked just fine. I believe I got it on special for around $17, which was a lot cheaper then the DJI 12v charger going for $99 at the time.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/camo- ... JEnHmSUfD8

15. badbrad97

I have 8. 3 new with less than 10 flights for commercial work, 1 Limewire and 4 older ones that starting working ok after the firmware update that I use for emergencies for flying around the yard. They only last for about 10 minutes or so.

I also have one of the NukeRC batteries that I don't count because I charged it and flew with it once and then it stopped charging.

16. Couchie

I'm just rocking three stock DJI batteries. I'm finding that the advertised 25 minute flight time with the P2V+ v3 isn't quite working out.

I've also updated firmware, but still no 25 minute love!

I too use an inverter in the car for now. Already had it, so it wasn't really an added cost. My wife's SUV has 120v plug in the back too so I can charge there.

17. ianwood

ianwood Taco Wrangler
    Staff Member

Sending my first two batteries back to DJI. After 50 cycles, they last about 7 minutes. The other 5 work fine so far. if I need more, they'll likely be Limefuel 6,000mAh.

18. Hughie

Have you had any info that there will be no firmware incompatibility issues with these ?

19. ianwood

ianwood Taco Wrangler
    Staff Member

I am waiting on the 6,000mAh ones in January. If DJI is foolish enough to try again to make them not work, they will never hear the end of it. It's one thing to have a closed system if everything works really well. But if a 3rd party battery works better, DJI had best not get in the way.

20. Artur H

Too much is never enough :)
    [​IMG]