Horizon level

Reaction score
How is everyone's horizon with the Phantom 4?

Im finding my horizon is ok at the start, but the more I move around the worse it gets at recover.

I seem to have a constant right side lower than the left - is this the same for others?

Mine is not great. Not as good as my P3P. Have done several calibrations. Seems to be off about .5 degrees.

Same issues here. Hoping it gets dialed in on an update soon. I have calibrated 3 to 4 times myself. It seems ok at times and then misses.

Good luck..p3 has had that problem for a long time and Dji still hasn't fixed it

yah...it kinda comes and goes...gets a little cocked after a turn...then levels out after a couple seconds... Im surprised the P 4 hasnt had 10 updates yet! hehe

Reactions: maseman88
I find the "Wandering horizon" a little more prominent than it was in the P3, it is easily correctable in post but it shouldn't need to be. I find the problems is made worse when the bird is fired up while not perfectly level so I try to make sure to start it up on the ground and let it sit for a few moment while it finds its level, this doesn't always work but it does make it a little better. I also find flying in FPV mode exaggerates the problem. For the time being I can take solace in the fact that there are very few perfectly flat horizons in the Tucson mountain areas where I have been doing the majority of my flying.

I too find it strange that we haven't been seeing a lot of updates, I'd assume that would be the norm for a new platform especially when there are all these little nagging issues that you would think would be easily correctable for DJI at this stage...I mean they are no longer a fledgling company new to all things "Drone"...

Last edited:
This is from Lynn Phan. I remembered this being a bigger more discussed thread. Well anyone with the issue (I'm not having a problem *knock on wood)
The Most Recent Phantom 4 Mods and Tips
Today’s Tip 3/24/16

Reducing the famous tilted horizon of your gimbal and camera.
1. Do cold IMU calibration on a flat surface on the ground floor.
2. Do Gimbal Cal on the ground.
Let it sit for 2 minutes before initial flight.
3. Do gimbal Cal mid air if it continues to tilt.
Ignore the message in GO saying gimbal Cal has failed.
Enjoy and safe flying.
Lynh Phan

Reactions: KevMo Photog
This is from Lynn Phan. I remembered this being a bigger more discussed thread. Well anyone with the issue (I'm not having a problem *knock on wood)
Today’s Tip 3/24/16

Enjoy and safe flying.
Lynh Phan
Sorry I'm new to this cold calibration of the IMU's. Details on best way to do that would be awesome. I calibrated them last night after update. But I'm not sure what cold means. LOL

Sorry I'm new to this cold calibration of the IMU's. Details on best way to do that would be awesome. I calibrated them last night after update. But I'm not sure what cold means. LOL
Cold IMU calibration is running the IMU calib either in the cold or right after being in the cold. For example, in Cali if it's 50 degrees at night I just run the calib. If I was in Michigan and it was 20 I would probably bring it inside and let it warm for a minute. There are people that say they just put it in the fridge but I couldn't get myself to ever do that.

The IMU (internal measuring unit) and there are two of them in the P4 work in tandem with the two "compasses" but they are not compasses they are electromegnemeters and the two of them working together when properly calibrated, let you and the bird know where you are in relation to the world.

One of the benefits of a "cold calibration" and as far as I know, the only real one (unless you do a too hot calib) is that you have to wait less time for the IMU to warm up to its initialized temp.

That is what a "cold calibration" of the IMUs is.

Today’s Tip 3/24/16

Enjoy and safe flying.
Lynh Phan

I've never been able to do a Gimbal Calibration whilst in the air. is this referring to an automatic or manual calibration?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl