HELP!!! My P4 just arrived and I need help

The Kindle Fire will work, but not as good as a Ipad. You will be seeing a lot of green screen. I started off with one. So when it happens, you will know where the problem is.

I got to fly it tonight. It is a freaking awesome quad! Best quad. I took a oucif it hovering, but this is the first time I've tried to upload a picture and it wants a URL. Guess I'll have to read the FAQs. I tried the RTH, I flew about 100 yards down my pasture. Pressed the RTH button and it rose above tree tops, flew back to me and stopped over head. I tried out the camera, took a few still and a couple of videos.

I've got a lot more to learn. There was a menu that popped up on the Kindle. The top option has red letters on black background. I'm partially color blind and I can't read it, and can't get it to go away. So I just kind of flew manually and enjoyed it. The RC started beeping at me. I could hear a voice but I'm hard if hearing too and couldn't understand it. I got the P4 close to me and it was down to 2 green bars on the IFB and the 3rd was blinking. It was cold outside so I called it a day. Great first flight.

Thanks fir all the tips and advice. I'll have to save up for an iPad next. Might have to register with the FAA first so. I can make a little money with it THEN get the iPad.

Soji

I got to fly it tonight. It is a freaking awesome quad! Best quad. I took a oucif it hovering, but this is the first time I've tried to upload a picture and it wants a URL. Guess I'll have to read the FAQs. I tried the RTH, I flew about 100 yards down my pasture. Pressed the RTH button and it rose above tree tops, flew back to me and stopped over head. I tried out the camera, took a few still and a couple of videos.

I've got a lot more to learn. There was a menu that popped up on the Kindle. The top option has red letters on black background. I'm partially color blind and I can't read it, and can't get it to go away. So I just kind of flew manually and enjoyed it. The RC started beeping at me. I could hear a voice but I'm hard if hearing too and couldn't understand it. I got the P4 close to me and it was down to 2 green bars on the IFB and the 3rd was blinking. It was cold outside so I called it a day. Great first flight.

Thanks fir all the tips and advice. I'll have to save up for an iPad next. Might have to register with the FAA first so. I can make a little money with it THEN get the iPad.

Soji
I would suggest that you watch as many HOW TO videos as you can. Also, when as a newbie with my Mavic Pro, I flew 1.5 miles over a lake to take videos on the other side. Coming back the Mavic stopped dead over the middle of the lake. Say what??? At that time, like you now, I was a spanking brand new newbie. I didn't know all of the controller screens.

Turns out the obstacle avoidance was on and the reflection over the water fooled the Mavic into thinking there was an obstacle over the middle of the lake. Meanwhile as I'm trying to figure out what is going on the clock is ticking down as the battery winds down as I was on my way home not on my way out. There were a number of things I could have done if not in panic mode or if I knew more at that time. Instead, I flew back to get over land and followed the shoreline home with no water reflection. It was a big risk, the long way home and the drone landed with only 7% battery power left.

My wife, who hadn't flown at that time, suggested afterward - "why didn't you just fly backward?" Duh - why didn't I? I was only a half a mile from home. Or if I knew the screens better I could have just turned the obstacle avoidance off. This is how accidents happen and fortunately nothing did. Most of my flying is over this lake to get to the other side where the action is. I've had my Mavic almost a year now and have many, many hours on it with no serious issues. But I still like to look at videos to prepare for the unknown issue ahead and be ready for them. Also, I printed cheat sheets with all of the screens so that I knew where things were in a pinch.

Last edited:
Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
I've read the quick start guide. I've watched all the videos. I'm on page 40 of the user manual. I unpacked the P4, charged the batteries, took off the gimbal clamp, hooked up my phone with USB, turned on the RC, turned on the P4, I started my DJI GO 4 app, it wants me to choose my device and opens up a WIFI window. The drone isn't listed. I tried my Kindle, same thing. I can move the camera up and down. It is flashing RED / Yellow which I think means the compass needs to be calibrated. I held it by it's legs level, turned around (in my house) then nose down, turned around and it's still flashing RED / Yellow.

Got ideas? What am I doing wrong? The motors wont start. I haven't put the props on yet.

TIA!
Create a account and then sign in and it will find your Device..

MavicBobG thanks for sharing the story. I'm a 107 pilot, so my flights will all be VLOS. Flying the drone is easy, the GO app some of it's quirks are proving to be a challenge. In another post I started about my IMU error and it won't callibrate sits for 20 minutes and stays on Step 1/6. I'm getting a Data Error on the ACC1. Someone suggested I call and return it. When I called they said update the firmware. After reading all the firmware update problems I'm more than a little nervous cause the updates seem to cause more problems than they fix.

jayBird, I already had n account. The problem was a pilot error. I goofed and went mini USB to mini USB. Once I figured out I needed to use the regular USB to mini I was able to activate the drone and go fly. I still haven't been able to get it out of beginner mode even though I have it turned off. I my have a solution for that too, I will find out when I get to fly it next.

Captain47, thanks for the tip. The RTH is one thing I was planning on learning. And experimenting with. I'm gonna use it to make money, so long distance flights aren't really my thing. Up close to take real estate photos is my plan.
IF.......you are going to use the Drone to make money....Your going to need a different type of FAA licence.....You need to look in to that ....the guys here will sure guide you the right way with the FAA links......Fly safe and have fun....Opps i just seen that you are a 107 type drone pilot So ?

IF.......you are going to use the Drone to make money....Your going to need a different type of FAA licence.....You need to look in to that ....the guys here will sure guide you the right way with the FAA links......Fly safe and have fun.
More info can be found on the FAA's website here.

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
Oh........Im sorry i seen that now...and Thought Ok well i will leave the post up..just incase some body else reads it....and needs it....And thanks to Msinger..he posted a FAA link !

Ah yes the newbie that wants to fly out of the box..Oh yea that was me last year..So it wants WiFi so you can register the a.c...So do that..Then make sure you have correct cable.Just because it plugs in doesn't mean it will work.I just got my p4 a few weeks ago after flying p 3s for a year.This is definitely different than the p3 set up.It should be easier to set up..You will most definitely get compass warning when inside.And calibrating it inside a bad idea.So recalibrate it outside once you register it.hope this helps ya.

Sojourner wants someone to do everything for him instead of reading and watching videos first. Any bets on how long it’ll take him to lose the thing?

I took it outside. Turned on RC, my phone, turned on P4, still get flashing red/yellow. I do NOT get a WiFi signal so I can't select my P4 in the DJI Go app. I tried calibration again but still the lights stay on.

I'm running out of ideas.

Is the drone linked to your phone/iPad!

This all sounds like a wind up to me.
Wonder How many guys helped him get his FAA 107 LICENCE ?..... LOL maybe a few hundred like here to TRY to get him flying ! i 100% agree .

Reactions: Norry.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart