Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Help me track down someone who lasered a drone?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by theTastyCat, Jul 22, 2016.

1. theTastyCat

Hey all - way back on the night of July 4th, someone in my neighborhood shined a green laser at my P3P. No permanent damage was done, but in hindsight, I *would* like to know approximately where it came from at least so I can be aware and avoid in the future.

I do have the SD card video and flight log, but have been regularly clearing the DJI GO cache - besides trying to estimate where it came from visually (at night, with erratic movements), can I somehow use my flight logs combined with the SD video to figure out where it came from?

Thanks all!

2. Squirrel!

What difference does it make? What do you mean "permanently damaged"? It's a light. Isn't going to melt or cause any other calamity to occur unless it was being shone in your eyes.

3. tcope

Laser Pointer Safety - Laser effects on cameras, camcorders and DLPs

The degree of damage can vary widely.

• We have seen cases of minor damage, such as small areas of a few pixels which no longer work. The pixels are not noticeable unless in an area of uniform color such as a blue sky.
    • In more extreme cases, there may be larger or more extensive dead-pixel areas. Or there may be "burn in" of a laser image. The damage is readily noticeable in most photos or videos. In this case, the camera is ruined for quality use. The image below shows numerous laser-caused spots on an HP Photosmart 945, a 5-megapixel camera. Click on the image to see the full-size (100%) original photograph. (Photo courtesy Aljaž Ogrin.)"

4. Squirrel!

Got the video where the laser was in your camera?

5. Traveler

I looked that up too. Here is the sample picture.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Squirrel! likes this.
  6. Traveler

Honestly I had never given it any thought, but after a small amount of searches, I wouldn't want to test it on my equipment. Maybe an older one, just for kicks.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Squirrel! likes this.