False accusations of voyeurism, from a cop caught shinning my drone with laser !

Status
Not open for further replies.
The sad thing about this story, and the reason i shared it here is that police officers can now claim a Voyeurism complain in order to arrest any drone pilot lawfully or not...
Possible perhaps however argaubly extremely unlikey. And not an issue for anyone not flying over private homes at night.

Reactions: snerd
Possible perhaps however argaubly extremely unlikey. And not an issue for anyone not flying over private homes at night.
I agree flying at night over residential area can be cause of concern, but it is easy to claim a sunbathing watch complain, shower window watch complain, during daytime, etc...Also if you knew the area you would notice that my flight was over the commercial and park/river/city hall area, the residential area is about 100m in front of me, it is true that i did reach it to find who was shinning my aircraft, but the flight plan was not originally including, getting directly over houses at low altitude, it is why im always at 60-70m, the aircraft noise at this altitude is quite low, and there is not way i could be peeking in someone window...Also i rarely fly at night, only once in a while, and it's always about trying to get a nice long exposure of the city lights.

I would find a lawyer and discuss the possibility of both a civil complaint and criminal charges for abuse of authority and the physical abuse. Officers like this need to be disciplined or removed from the force. In the future he could actually kill someone and get away with it or be caught. But someone would still be dead.

Sent from my SM-T810 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: erkme73
I would love to kick the *** of this MFKR cop myself for abuse of authority. But, once again, as a member here you should know better. People don't like to see drones around houses and some are doing crazy things such as shooting them or like this scumbag making your life miserable for now and probably a few years until you digest your rage. So they dropped the charges? Put this idiot in front of a judge is the minimum of retaliation he deserves. Even if you get nothing, show him that you're not taking the blame and you piss on him. Now why don't you go filming your town hall or something at night? then you 'll know why you're arrested... :). I'm with you!

First of all, i'm a well known photographer in town, and did lot of day/night aerial footage before, that became loved and viral in the area.
I was taking some night photos of the circle in town while showing off the aircraft to two friends, when suddenly i see a green flash on my right side creating a lens flare, and blinding my camera, so i quickly thinked this is "shinning an aircraft" and can cause an accident, it is highly illegal here in canada and passible of a 100 000$ fine, and prison if it cause a crash.
So i quickly started recording a video in order to be able to trace where the laser came from, and gather evidence, and as soon as I located the laser shooting location, stopped the recording, and moved back to land and pack-up, while thinking if i should go straight to the police and maybe ruin some teen life, or go knock at their door and warn them of how dangerous this behaviours was.
So my 2 friends and I, decided that we shall go look for the person shooting the laser. When we arrived at the location there was two thug looking guys there, and one of them was holding a device that looked like a green laser pointer, so i asked him if he was the one shooting it at my aircraft, he then said "why ?".
So i started explaining him how illegal and dangerous this was, and this is when he pulled out a provincial police badge and started telling me that i was doing voyeurism in his window, and that he was arresting me(the closer I got to his house was about 150m). Then he continued saying that if I would of be alone and he would of saw me, he would of shot me for invading his privacy, and that he believed this was legal (shooting an aircraft is illegal obviously, and he was obviously trying to set me up for catching him on the act).
Thinking the situation was going bad, i gave my friend the sd card with the recording, telling him to not give it to the cops under any circonstances or they could delete the video evidences i had(this saved my ***).
They arrested me seised my aircraft and charged me with mischief, voyeurism and resisting arrest...
I spent 24 hours in jail, until i explained them that i had video evidence of the laser shooting that i was ready to spread to the media(i did radio interview about my drone flying and video editing skills, thanks to this forum), i got lucky there was one good detective in there who really looked into the file. And the charges of voyeurism and mischief got dropped, they released me under bail, and i still got charge of res sting arrest, because i got scared for my life and did try to run to get support from real non-guilty cops...
I would love peoples opinion on what just happened to me...
My only question is: How can he charge you with voyerism f you were 105m away? There's no telephoto capability on most of these cameras unless you're a real spy and have some special equipment.

Just a word, in some part of usa

. You may be a live target for people who are developing anti drone devices. Laser is just one of the options.
It might help to note that a laser can DESTROY the sensor on your camera. It appears this did not happen because you were able to record video after the incident but I can show you first hand how a laser can destroy the camera sensor. Of course you'll have to donate your camera for the test but it will destroy it if it's direct and powerful enough. I've got a green laser that will wipe it out in .00001 sec.

As a foreigner, we learned very quickly not to confront or interference with the law.

Frankly, many drone owners have the attitude that they can fly anywhere and anytime they wanted in any manner they wanted. As a result, it creates negative publicity for all drone operators

I would love to kick the *** of this MFKR cop myself for abuse of authority. But, once again, as a member here you should know better. People don't like to see drones around houses and some are doing crazy things such as shooting them or like this scumbag making your life miserable for now and probably a few years until you digest your rage. So they dropped the charges? Put this idiot in front of a judge is the minimum of retaliation he deserves. Even if you get nothing, show him that you're not taking the blame and you piss on him. Now why don't you go filming your town hall or something at night? then you 'll know why you're arrested... :). I'm with you!

Reactions: snerd and BigAl07
How you proceed going forward is your call, and your call alone. It's easy for a bunch of forum guru's to pontificate, and talk of legal action, violence, and all other manners of retribution. It's another thing to actually go through with it. I don't envy you with the decision, especially in a small community that you'll still be living in once the dust settles. Sometimes it's better to use a carrot, rather than a stick.

Reactions: isopro and BigAl07
1. Talk to a lawyer - preferably one with experience suing the police over civil rights violations (i.e., maybe not your criminal defense lawyer);

2. Stop talking about it on the internet. It's not much different from talking directly to the police. Seemingly innocuous statements you make can cause issues later.

It may well be the case that he had to have probable cause to make an arrest before a resisting arrest charge can stick. If that's the case, not only are you in the clear, he's liable for assault and battery - on top of anything else. They probably left the resisting charge on just to discourage you from taking other action.

In the U.S., I think you'd have a pretty good case for substantial compensation and punitive damages.

Reactions: sergekouper
I can't believe I read all 5 pages of posts. It's pretty clear that there are multiple camps here. Drone issues aside, I think a number of those commenting are either in law enforcement, or they are strong advocates for them.

In the US, the police culture has been progressively becoming more aggressive, intolerant, and abusive towards citizens' rights. As someone who has immediate family in (and retired from ) LE, my perspective is slightly broader than just the endless supply of police beating videos on YT. For example, one family member, a retired sergeant (detective), openly states that he FEARS any contact with today's LEO due to their aggressive posture, and 'itching to dole out a beating' mentality.

The feeling on entitlement and invincibility by those wearing a badge stems from the complete lack of accountability and oversight by fellow brothers in blue. While an officer can be (and usually is) cleared of the most blatant abuses of citizens (i.e. beating suspects while in handcuffs, shooting unarmed suspects in the back, etc), a guaranteed path to career suicide is to 'snitch' on a fellow officer for doing something illegal or against policy. A 'good' cop who sees a suspect being beaten by a 'bad' cop who is in a blind fit of rage will rarely step in to help the suspect. And they'll never report it to their supervisors. If they do, they'll be scorned, and run out of the department for not being a team player. Look up the name FHP Trooper Jane Watts to see what happens to a good cop who tires to protect the public (take note of what happend to the offending cop as well).

My point is, the culture of policing has become one of self preservation, and protecting one another (i.e. the blue wall of silence). From the first day at the academy, recruits are indoctrinated with an US vs. THEM mentality. Cops can only depend on other cops, and civilians are the enemy who may kill them at first opportunity. With union-driven "police officer's bill of rights" it's nearly impossible to hold bad officers to account. After decades of this type of training, behavior, and lack of accountability, you get results like what the OP experienced.

Ask yourself this... Had the drone operator been an off-duty police officer, and the laser pointer operated by a civilian, does anyone think for a second, the results would have been even remotely the same?

I've all evidences required about this ready, but will not share what they are for obvious reasons.
As for documents, I went to the station to get documentations, and they say i must do a freedom of information act request, and wait weeks, anyway my job warning other drone users that this type of situation is done, and i do not have to proove anything to anyone here, also obviously in order to protect my evidences, i will not share any other evidence...
Also I knew some peoples would be negative about this post, but it was important for me to warn others, that this can happen, and that if they gather evidences of someone flashing them with a laser, go directly to the police or just land and do nothing, because if you go to someone door to warn him about the dangers of doing that, bad surprises could happen like it did to me...

Thanks everyone

Go to Internal Affairs & file a complaint. Had you not run you would have him by the cojones/cohones, but he was still wrong. Share the link to the youtube video "can you spy with a drone" it'll help educate them.

A complaint at IAD is similar to what you endured, you can beat the rap but not the ride.

My wife & I are both retired cops, sorry you had to go thru this. **** shame officers & people are so biased & misinformed.

I don't know about Canada, but in the US shining a laser towards ANY aircraft except the tiny toy drones is a federal offense.

I don't know about Canada, but in the US shining a laser towards ANY aircraft except the tiny toy drones is a federal offense.

Simply shining a LASER into the sky near an airport, is an offence in Canada. It is against the law under the criminal code. It doesn't need to be directed at a plane. Transport Canada regulations require you to be granted permission before shining a LASER into any navigable airspace. This is because LASERs are frequently used by the astronomy community.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Why would he point a laser at anything?
Was it a gun sight?

I just wonder where, at every step along this bogus charge of 'contempt of cop' was the 'good' cop? You know, the one that says, "This is a bogus, CYA charge. Shame on you Officer XXXXX for putting this citizen through this ordeal". Sure, they buckled after you threatened to expose the illegal behavior of one of their own. But resisting arrest? Wouldn't your arrest have to be based on a legitimate illegal activity? In other words, how can they charge you with resisting arrest if the arrest itself was false?

It's clear to me you challenged this guy's ego. Knowing that his fellow blues and department would back him, he abuses his authority and makes up some bogus charge. He knows, even if the charges are dropped, you will still suffer significant consequences for daring to challenge an officer. And he, the ticked-off officer with the bruised ego, he suffers ZERO consequence. Police even have a term for this. It's goes "You may beat the charge, but you won't beat the ride". IOW, even if the charges are dropped, the disruption to your life (attorney fees, charge on your record, work time lost, etc) will be plenty of punishment, and cop is happy to have ruined your life just a little bit. Sick, but get to know any cop personally, and you'll see this happens everywhere. The only thing that actually challenges this corruption and abuse are civilian cameras (smart phones, surveillance cameras, etc) - and it explains why so many cops aggressively go after witnesses who are recording their actions - despite it being completely legal (in the US, at least).

I was thinking he was going to kick my ***, and maybe kill me, once alone with him and his friend, I did try to run away(to try to get some non-crooked police on the scene), bad decision, he kicked my ***, now my knee is all blue, my face all scratched...
How old are you? YOU NEVER RUN FROM A COP!!!!

Reactions: BigAl07
Criminal law vs. Civil law.
You'll beat any criminal charges they are dumb enough to actually file.
Then in civil court, sue everyone. Vicarious liability. This yahoo excuse of a police officer, his supervisor, the chief, the city stupid enough to hire him in the first place.
I am an old time former police officer and I am seeing more and more of this idiocy from the authorities that ought to know better. My theory is that they either have too much time on their hands or are too cowardly to go after real law breakers. Either way, make and example out of them.

I read this thread this morning and didn't comment but after thinking about it I wanted to comment (question?) this whole story.

First off, I have never been in trouble or arrested so maybe I'm way off base, but I cant imagine you can be arrested and then let out and not be given a single piece of paper, a single official document, nothing laying out the charge(s) against you and any info of what happens next as far as court or anything else. Even if that were true, I find it hard to believe you cant go online to Canada's equivalent to our circuit of the courts and see the charge and print something out. I also find it ridiculous that you cant get something in writing about your own personal arrest record without going through some freedom of information hoops. Sounds fishy to me.

Second, he mentions the 3 charges and 2 were dropped after a night in jail but the third was still being charged. Doesn't make sense to me that they would still attempt to charge after dismissing the first 2. Again, fishy.

This is only a couple of the many questionable parts of the OP's story...never mind the parts about his equipment being seized but he was able to give his friend the SD card, the fact that he says he and his 2 friends went to the persons house to confront him (so as not to ruin his life!!), where were the 2 friends when you got 'scared' and attempted to run...did you just leave them and run? Where was the equipment when they caught you from running and how did you access equipement and the sd card?

I think there is much to this story the OP is leaving out and/or twisting. None of it makes any sense.

My crystal ball is a bit cloudy, but I would bet it went down more along the lines of...OP was out flying at night, someone shined a laser at drone. OP and 2 friends were feeling tough and went looking for the person with the laser pointer. The person they went after either turned out to be a policeman or that person called the police. IMO there was never a voyeurism charge...

I could be wrong, but the OP's story doesn't sound believable....

Reactions: Toyz
Criminal law vs. Civil law.
You'll beat any criminal charges they are dumb enough to actually file.
Then in civil court, sue everyone. Vicarious liability. This yahoo excuse of a police officer, his supervisor, the chief, the city stupid enough to hire him in the first place.
I am an old time former police officer and I am seeing more and more of this idiocy from the authorities that ought to know better. My theory is that they either have too much time on their hands or are too cowardly to go after real law breakers. Either way, make and example out of them.
To much time on their hands, that night i was the only one in the cell block, and was said only 2 peoples got booked in the last 24 hours and i was one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20