Help! DJI Repair Quote - Am I being robbed?

I surmise this is a Brendan Shulman move to have deniability if the craft fails and causes major damage to someone or something. If there is no proof of craft failure, it's the pilots liability. Minimizing liability exposure for DJI is Brendan's job. This also makes the craft cheaper to manufacture, as a side benefit.

Brendan
View attachment 92390
Makes sense! It also makes it impossible to prove warranty coverage, which saves millions/billions by denying all warranty claims, and helps promote sales of DJI Care/Refresh! Follow the money, both in terms of profit and liability! Saves $5 per aircraft, too, and untold time extracting and reviewing incriminating .DAT files, proving warranty coverage should apply!

Same here. My P4 flipped upside down and powered into the ground. I tried for a month to determine why and how it was possible and DJI Customer Support would not answer! I followed my drone through the "repair process" after I paid the #$283 repair bill and then they swapped drones on me. My replacement even had the retaining springs removed so that the propellers could not be installed but afterall, it only took five more weeks to get them to mail them to me. Talk about DJI Customer Support, you'll get a ton of responses like mine. My biggest problem was that I knew all this before I bought the P4. I checked them out throughly and knew what I was risking but just hoped I'd get lucky. I didn't.
Good luck,
Jim
WA5TEF

Same here. My P4 flipped upside down and powered into the ground. I tried for a month to determine why and how it was possible and DJI Customer Support would not answer! I followed my drone through the "repair process" after I paid the #$283 repair bill and then they swapped drones on me. My replacement even had the retaining springs removed so that the propellers could not be installed but afterall, it only took five more weeks to get them to mail them to me. Talk about DJI Customer Support, you'll get a ton of responses like mine. My biggest problem was that I knew all this before I bought the P4. I checked them out throughly and knew what I was risking but just hoped I'd get lucky. I didn't.
Good luck,
Jim
WA5TEF
Once DJI started selling DJI Care, the handwriting for denying all warranty claims was on the wall, to help sell DJI Care insurance. Now, all those chickens have, unfortunately, come home to roost! :eek:

It's this kind of support from DJI that make customers resort to other means of getting a good flying craft under warranty. In this situation you want to stick it up DJI's ****. I've known pilots to order a new P4P from Amazon, then swap the new craft with a broken craft (that looks like new of course) and ship it back to Amazon for credit, saying it's non functional. I think Amazon is used to such a high return rate on P4P's because of the inconsistent quality DJI ships. I've mentioned this before, DJI doesn't test or even visually inspect their drones before they box them to ship. This particular problem @brendon_c is reporting could have easily been found by DJI when they powered up the drone to link it to the RC. But they don't bother, hence the high DOA (defective on arrival) rate we see.

I love my P4P, but I too got a defective one. In my case DJI replaced my gimbal/camera assembly, and it has worked great ever since.. I didn't have to resort to gorilla warfare tactics. :rolleyes:

that'slikely why the first two P4Ps I got from Amazon were defective out of the box. Both returned. The one I got from B&H Photo was perfect (and still is).

Probably the reason why everybody is still buying them is because when they work, they're one of the best on the market.

Probably the reason why everybody is still buying them is because when they work, they're one of the best on the market.
Absolutely! It is the first DJI drone to actually deliver on the marketing hype for range and battery life, when used in Auto 5.8Ghz with OA turned on. The 100mbs 4K video is stunning in 3860x2160! Horizon stays level on the latest FW. Most of the bugs have been ironed out over the last year! :cool:

is there a way to tell when the aircraft was actually manufactured. And whether I should do updates?

is there a way to tell when the aircraft was actually manufactured. And whether I should do updates?
There is, and the FW is never updated after the date of manufacture, so it is incumbent upon the buyer to update it to the latest FW, to fix all the early bugs. Only reason not to update, if the P4P FW is currently 1.03.0509, is for parameter modding, but I'll take a level horizon over ability to exceed 500m in height above the launch point!

There is, and the FW is never updated after the date of manufacture, so it is incumbent upon the buyer to update it to the latest FW, to fix all the early bugs. Only reason not to update, if the P4P FW is currently 1.03.0509, is for parameter modding, but I'll take a level horizon over ability to exceed 500m in height above the launch point!
I'm new at this so please forgive my ignorance, but what is parameter modding?

easy-to-understand terms please, I' new.

DJI customer support lied to me numerous times when telling the truth (which I later discovered) would have been easier. Not only did they lie they didn’t even remember the nature of any previous calls or emails!

Totally incompetent!
Jim
WA5TEF

DJI customer support lied to me numerous times when telling the truth (which I later discovered) would have been easier. Not only did they lie they didn’t even remember the nature of any previous calls or emails!

Totally incompetent!
Jim
WA5TEF
It's been my experience that they just totally make up scenarios, that couldn't possibly have happened, just to justify denying any warranty claim! When confronted with the facts that prove them wrong, they just make up yet another scenario, which also couldn't possibly have happened. Then they just go dark, and completely stop responding, and upper management ignores all further communication! :eek:

It's been my experience that they just totally make up scenarios, that couldn't possibly have happened, just to justify denying any warranty claim! When confronted with the facts that prove them wrong, they just make up yet another scenario, which also couldn't possibly have happened. Then they just go dark, and completely stop responding, and upper management ignores all further communication! :eek:

Sounds much like my dealings with EchoStar (Dish Network). BBB and threatened lawsuit finally got my situation worked out.. Of course, that didn’t get back my 10+ hrs on hold and repeat for 4 months... Ah those were the days...

Sounds much like my dealings with EchoStar (Dish Network). BBB and threatened lawsuit finally got my situation worked out.. Of course, that didn’t get back my 10+ hrs on hold and repeat for 4 months... Ah those were the days...
Indeed! The worst is that the entire DJI customer support call center has been moved to South America, and their only communication with the actual repair center in Cerritos CA is via email, which is ignored, when the facts don't fit their made up conclusions! You can no longer reach anyone that has any interest in helping! :eek:

Reactions: AndrewCCM

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnndyManuka