Hello! Looking for advice...

With the key word being photography I'm surprised more wouldn't say P4P. The camera is so much better. I have a P4 I was gonna hold onto as a back up but not anymore. I could never go back to shooting that camera. With that said the P4 camera is amazing as well...but in my book P4P is superior. I was in your shoes this summer, p3p or p4 I went with P3P and had it a month before getting the P4...If you get P4 now and then decide you want Pro, you will lose a good chunk of change selling the P4...much to think about.

Reactions: PhantomWetSuits
I've read that the Mavic doesn't handle the wind as well, and in my opinion it seams as though it would not hold up as well in a crash (the more moving parts the more stress points and opportunity for failure).
Not everything you read on forums is accurate.
Although it's been said plenty of times that the Mavic might not handle as well in wind, actual use has shown that it does handle wind very well.
When it comes to crashes, it's a(n) (un)lucky dip.
Sometimes you can get lucky and have a 40 ft fall that does no damage and sometimes a 6 ft fall can do a lot of damage.
It just depends on how it lands and how fast.

The P4/P4pro and Mavic are all good choices though.
Whichever you go for, you should have a great machine.

Its all down to what you can afford along with what type of work you want to do and what the customer wants. You don't need a top end camera for general photos But if your going to be making top quality films then you might want to look at the inspire 2. One of their cameras cost more than the drone at over £3,600.
Drones are a bit like computers, a few months down the line they are out of date as a newer model has just been released.

Just an update: I ended up ordering a P4 with 2 extra batteries and a charging hub. It should be delivered tomorrow. I'm very excited, hopefully the weather will cooperate so I can give it a whirl this weekend.
I've already read the manuals and watched more than my fair share of YouTube videos! Now I just need that hands on training.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots
If you don't mind me asking where did you order it from. I am getting ready to purchase one to replace my P2 and trying to figure out who has the best deal.

Thanks,

Hal

If you don't mind me asking where did you order it from. I am getting ready to purchase one to replace my P2 and trying to figure out who has the best deal.

Thanks,

Hal

Hi Hal!

I just ordered mine from Amazon (got gift cards for Christmas). The bundle I ordered came with 2 extra batteries (3 total) and a 3 battery charging hub for just under $1200. That seamed like the best deal for what I was looking for. Hope that helps, happy shopping!

I bought a Phantom 3 Advanced in December 2015 and it was $999 (my first drone). Almost at the same time they announced the P4 and by January, the P3 had come down in price (drats !). I flew the P3 for a year and loved it. Last November I parked it at the top of a 160 foot tall tree ! My wife was so sympathetic that she immediately told me to order a replacement. This was right around the time that DJI released the P4 Pro and somehow I managed to convince my wife to spend $1800 (over $1900 with tax) for a P4Pro+ rationalizing the extra obstacle avoidance as a means of avoiding a similar disaster and brighter display was worth it. I ordered it from Amazon with a ship date of January 15th.

Then the feces started to hit the fan ... our clothes dryer died, our HVAC system took a dump, our septic tank backed up and I had an unexpected $1000 dental bill. Suddenly, money was tight, especially in light of the new Lumix FZ300 I got for Christmas. I had always liked the video I got from my P3A (2.7K) and figured if I was happy with that, the P4 would still be a big upgrade. It shoots 4K to match the Lumix so all is sweet.

We saved over $800, my P4 arrived this afternoon and after a bit of consternation, managed to get everything updated, calibrated and in the air. This in spite of the 36 degrees and slight break in the frozen precip ! Shot a quick sample video and considering the sky was solid dark grey (snowing at the moment) the video came out beautifully :p

Working on an introductory video at the moment and will include some footage in the morning with the fresh fallen snow :D

Reactions: True
The P4 was delivered yesterday, spent the night charging batteries. Woke up early to setup and download all updates. Was hoping to get out and go for a first flight, but the weather made me rethink that plan. We had a high of 2 deg F with a wind chill of -15 deg... gotta love winter in WI. I'll hope for tomorrow! Might give the simulator a try tonight to hold me over.

Reactions: True
The P4 was delivered yesterday, spent the night charging batteries. Woke up early to setup and download all updates. Was hoping to get out and go for a first flight, but the weather made me rethink that plan. We had a high of 2 deg F with a wind chill of -15 deg... gotta love winter in WI. I'll hope for tomorrow! Might give the simulator a try tonight to hold me over.

Wisconsin here too. Waiting for my P4P+ from Amazon. At least the weather should be breaking soon. Might be warmer but the rain today sucked!

Sent from my LGUS992 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Finally, after a week I was able to take my new P4 out for a test flight. It was cold and windy, and I only lasted about 10 minutes before I couldn't feel my fingers anymore... The P4 on the other hand, was rock solid and so much fun! I posted a short clip from my first flight. I still have a lot of work to do, but I think the video turned out pretty good for a first flight.
I look forward to many more flights to come!

Also, here's a picture from my first flight, I played around a little with editing, but still learning.

4f144c86eed02ca6f7bd1ea533faa1c0.jpg

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT