Hello! Looking for advice...

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

So here is the scenario: I am in the market for a drone, and I'm trying to decide if the Phantom 4 or the Phantom 4 Pro would be a better option for me.
I have also considered the Mavic, but I hear it doesn't handle as well with wind and the durability seams like a possible issue (more so than the phantoms).
I have been flying smaller quadcopter for a few years. (I have a Blade Nano QX, Hubsan X4, a Cheerson CX10, and a JJRC H8C). I'm ready to take the next step up, and make a phantom my first "big boy" quad.
I am interested in getting into photography and have been reading through the Part 107 material in hopes of one day using my drone commercially. For this reason I'm leaning toward the P4P.
On the other hand, I have a wife and two young kids so I know that all of this sounds good on paper, but the reality is I never have as much time as I would like. For that reason I'm considering the P4, to use as a cheaper training tool. Then one day when my kids are bit older, I can devote more time and maybe upgrade to a newer model.
With all of that said, what do guys (and gals) think? Maybe those of you with experience can help me shed some light.
Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I have a wife and two young kids so I know that all of this sounds good on paper, but the reality is I never have as much time as I would like. For that reason I'm considering the P4, to use as a cheaper training tool.
I'd personally buy the P4 if I was in your shoes. There's no sense in getting a camera with features that you'll likely never need. The camera on the P4 is still a great camera for hobbyists. If you decide to start a business, you can upgrade later and write it off on your taxes.

Thanks msinger for your reply! This is kinda the way I was leaning, but sometimes it's hard to look past all the fancy "features" of the latest and greatest! I'll admit I sometimes tend to want more than I need...
It would be nice if they had an in-between option, like a "P4 Advanced" that came with the camera from the P4 and the extra obstacle avoidance of the P4P.... something like that would be a great option for someone like me!
One question, I know the P4P can take the P4 batteries, but can the P4 take the higher capacity P4P battery for longer flight time?

Reactions: TedN
Thank you both for your replies! I appreciate your input! I will start shopping for a P4, the lower price should make the wife a little happier at the very least!

Reactions: SCGENE
I was in the same boat and went with a P4 not a Pro. This is my first flying camera, It's going to take me a long time to get proficient with this thing and truly learn how to get decent images and video.

If I get really into this hobby and get a newer bird in a year and sell this one.

Reactions: John1960
I was in a similar situation, and I couldn't be more pleased with the P4. It's an incredible piece of technology and I saved a good $500 on a bundle!

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Dejavu I was in your same boat. I like the picture aspect but I was unwilling to spend $1500 for a P4P. I ended up spending $1200 and got a P4 with 2 extra batteries. I have been very satisfied with the performance of the P4 including the video. I ended up getting the Black Edition from Best Buy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: antnyp85
Good insight AlecW. Thank you!
Just for the sake of asking, what are your thoughts on the P4 versus the Mavic? I know there are tons of reviews and comparisons out there, but I haven't seen any that say they would buy the P4 over the Mavic.
Like I said earlier, I've read that the Mavic doesn't handle the wind as well, and in my opinion it seams as though it would not hold up as well in a crash (the more moving parts the more stress points and opportunity for failure). Also thought I heard someone say that you basically can't fly the Mavic without GPS? They said that as they were ascending GPS would cut out and the drone would stop, hover and wait to regain signal before being able to ascend again....if I understood them correctly, it sound like a pain.
Nevertheless, DJI must have done something right, because I see loads of people raving about it. So what do you guys think, P4 vs. Mavic?

Thanks Lucone & Ibostons! I'm thinking the P4 is going to be the way to go! Since I'm in no real hurry I'll see if I can find it for a good deal.

Reactions: Lucone
Good insight AlecW. Thank you!
Just for the sake of asking, what are your thoughts on the P4 versus the Mavic? I know there are tons of reviews and comparisons out there, but I haven't seen any that say they would buy the P4 over the Mavic.
Like I said earlier, I've read that the Mavic doesn't handle the wind as well, and in my opinion it seams as though it would not hold up as well in a crash (the more moving parts the more stress points and opportunity for failure). Also thought I heard someone say that you basically can't fly the Mavic without GPS? They said that as they were ascending GPS would cut out and the drone would stop, hover and wait to regain signal before being able to ascend again....if I understood them correctly, it sound like a pain.
Nevertheless, DJI must have done something right, because I see loads of people raving about it. So what do you guys think, P4 vs. Mavic?

The more I researched the more I realized how complicated this technology is. I figured (and maybe wrong) that the P4 was several months old now and most of the bugs have been worked out. Being a newbie I didn't want something right out of R&D here. That goes for the P4P too although I suspect a lot of the tech carries over from the P4 in that case.

I am really very happy with my P4. I've only flown about 2 hours because of winter, had zero errors and everything has gone smoothly for me. I did read a lot before I flew the first time.

Here's a tip. Read a bunch of flyaway threads. Don't let them scare you, most accidents are user error and you learn so much about what not to do ;)

I was debating between the mavic and P4. I think the mavic has some options the P4 does not but I wasn't willing to wait and the whole portability wasn't a big concern for me. 95% of the time I will be flying local anyway.

The mavic is a great quad copter. I'm pretty sure either would make a great choice. I liked the Black Edition so I went that route.

My son has a P3 standard and that bird is also pretty nice. I bought the P4 mainly because of the obstacle avoidance features. When you turn those features off and put it into sport mode the bird screams. Good luck with your decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you all for steering me in the right direction! I feel better about the decision to go with the P4.
One last question, it appears the P4 comes with everything I would need to get started, but is there anything you wish you would have gotten with it?
Larger sd card? I assume an extra battery or 2? Does it come with a lighting cable to connect to iPhone? Anything else?

Thank you all for steering me in the right direction! I feel better about the decision to go with the P4.
One last question, it appears the P4 comes with everything I would need to get started, but is there anything you wish you would have gotten with it?
Larger sd card? I assume an extra battery or 2? Does it come with a lighting cable to connect to iPhone? Anything else?
It won't come with a lighting cable but you can use the one you charge your iPhone with. It's too long though and Amazon has short cables for Phantoms.

Mine came with an extra battery and 3 battery charging hub but that was a Cyber Monday freebie. Not sure I would have bought the hub but glad I have it.

I used my Galaxy S5 for the first day and promptly went out the next day and bought an iPad Air 2 because I'm a bit nearsighted.

I've since bought a bunch of other stuff like a backpack, 2 more batteries, camera filters, motor covers, LiPo bags (will be traveling next month with it). I also had to buy my wife an iPad because she kept taking mine to watch Netflix ;)

This cable works great.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00P66F35A/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I Like others Fly the p4 and its a very neat piece of kit. Unless your going to be flying in some very tight spaces ie underground car parks etc then all those extra sensors are really not needed. I have flown in some pretty tight spaces with my p4 and as long as you take it easy then you will have nothing to worry about. " provided you can fly in the first place"
Video and stills are good and you can always edit images and footage after.

Just an update: I ended up ordering a P4 with 2 extra batteries and a charging hub. It should be delivered tomorrow. I'm very excited, hopefully the weather will cooperate so I can give it a whirl this weekend.
I've already read the manuals and watched more than my fair share of YouTube videos! Now I just need that hands on training.

If I needed a prosumer drone for general commercial use, I'd start with the Phantom 4 Pro. If I started getting clients with more demanding needs, Inspire 2, is the natural upgrade. With the ever increasing use of 4K drones commercially, I'm pretty sure clients are getting more demanding.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20