HD constantly dropping out in close range

Reaction score
My p4p has been flying great apart from the content HD dropouts with in 1000feet range. The control signal is perfect. You can see the HD signal going from full to nothing and then back to full. After that I get a full disconnect and the app shuts down even though I still have full RC control. I was out today and when the app shuts down it booted back up on to the registration screen asking me to name and activate the drone as if it was brand new while in mid flight. As I could still see the drone I brought it back with the sticks. Really weird.

I am using a Nvidea Shield K1 and everything is up to date.

Do you think this could be all down to the problem with the Go 4 app on the Shield or could this be a problem with the P4P it's self. Do you think it's worth me tryng an Ipad if I can get hold of one.

I was out over water today with nothing around so shouldn't get any interference. Flown my p3p multiple times there with no problem.

Thanks

Last edited:
I think I have had this happen maybe once for a second or two on my Ipad Air 2 before. But pretty rare. I would try an Ipad if you can get a hold of one to try. I wouldn't buy one just to try it.

That's not good. Have you tried deleting the app, rebooting the device and reinstalling the app? I would lower everything in the live feed, bit rate, etc, and turn off video caching to the device. But don't try all of that at once. Do it process of eliminating, one by one. I fly a P3 with an air 2 and had the problem in the distant past but no longer for a long time. An iPad is worth trying and buying if it works well. The ipads are just such great gear even beyond flying the app. My opinion is that the live feed need not look awesome or at high bit rates/hd. I just need it good enough and beyond that, conserve power on the device. And that's why I never cache video either. I have no use for that 720 low res video and it saves the strain on the device during flight too. Good luck.

I am using a Nvidea Shield K1 and everything is up to date.
Try downgrading the Android OS to version 6. DJI GO does not run well on version 7.

That's not good. Have you tried deleting the app, rebooting the device and reinstalling the app? I would lower everything in the live feed, bit rate, etc, and turn off video caching to the device. But don't try all of that at once. Do it process of eliminating, one by one. I fly a P3 with an air 2 and had the problem in the distant past but no longer for a long time. An iPad is worth trying and buying if it works well. The ipads are just such great gear even beyond flying the app. My opinion is that the live feed need not look awesome or at high bit rates/hd. I just need it good enough and beyond that, conserve power on the device. And that's why I never cache video either. I have no use for that 720 low res video and it saves the strain on the device during flight too. Good luck.
I will give this ago. The shield works perfect with the P3P so it's weird I am having bother with the P4P

Tried out the ipad air 2. HD signal was much more stable until I got to 3000 feet and then the quad disconnected and went in to return to home. When the signal came back I tried again and managed to get 3500 feet line of site over open fields 370feet in height. HD and RC signal were low around 3000 feet before complete disconnect at 3500. When the quad reconnected at around 3000 feet it's had went from 370 feet in height to just under 500 feet. That was a bit worrying. I checked my flight record and it shows no input from the controls when it was rising and RTH is set to 120 feet. I see there is a new p4p update and IOS Go 4 update so I am going to try that out. Don't usaly update right away but it's worth a go.

Interesting, I too have the Shield K1 and have had two cases (so far) where the DJI Go app has shut down mid flight. Android 7.0 latest DJI GO 4 app. Distance from home point was not far, only about 350' at 65' alt.
I have also had two or three instances where my video has broken up badly, goes black and white with horizontal breaks and such.
I have only had the aircraft for about 3 weeks.

I have a Mavic, but I've had the same problem with my Samsung S7, on it, Phantoms P3P, and P4. I think the DJI 4 is more problematic then the old app. The app. will crash all the time, leaving me with a black screen. Or it will do something really flakey. Like you mentioned, there isn't any correlation to the signal strength. IT'S THE DJI APP BUGGINESS WITH ANDROID OPERATING SYSTEM. My Apple IPad 2 works like a champ, never a problem. When you're 2 miles away (ah...a friend of mine sometimes fly beyond visual range) having the DJI device app crash is disconserting to say the least! I've found that the drone will just hover, you can restart the crashed app. faily quickly (practice!) and keep on flying. FLAKEY! The IPad2 has been like a rock running DJI's app. It's widely acknowledged that the DJI GO App is optimized for Apple's iOS. RECENTLY (Maybe it's DJI GO 4) Android reliability has been HORRIBLE.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl