Harassed by the Fuzz!

What about Google Maps StreetView in all the neighborhoods!?!

This is ridiculous.

Flying Cephlopod said:
A few reference websites about state drone laws include:

(snipped)
(I'm sure someone will complain about referencing the following link as they have other links that I have posted--be my guest.)

https://www.aclu.org/blog/technology-an ... aws-drones

I stand corrected, I didn't see the whole link to drones on the aclu link, my bad & I apologize for that to you.

http://www.krages.com/ThePhotographersRight.pdf

And by the by, it can be against the law to use shots of people &/or property if you do not have written permission from the people/guardians if minors or owners of property. I know this from personal experience, local jerk was making a calendar for sale of local ahh, lets say houses that were unique (I cant say the real item due to pending litigation). He went around & took the pictures, didn't tell the homeowners & then made the calendars & started selling them locally. Quite a few of us got upset as the properties are unique, & not all are clearly visible from the street. Yes, he trespassed to take the pictures.
I know quite a few photo assocs recommend you get written releases/permission if you are going to use that shot/video commercially so that it will not bite you in the butt. Verbal can too easily "forgotten" :roll:
Of course, YMMV depending on your local, county & state laws. ;)

good for you Carl...Im in Indiana also and its good to see someone stand up to a cop misquoting a law. All that law referenced is cops or is someone leaves a camera UNATTENDED on private property without the owner knowing.

There actually seem to be alot of us from Indiana on here Maybe we should all get together and fly some? Im south west of Indianapolis by about 30 miles and we live on 90 acres out in the middle of nowhere. Plenty of space to fly and not a soul will bother you or even know you flew.

I'm in Anderson. About 40 miles northeast of Indy. You can find me on the Flytrex web site.

CarlJ

Kindly find yourself another attorney that knows the law.
No one has ever needed permission, verbal or written, to film a building, let alone a sign in public view.
As for the filming of people, well that depends on the nature of the filming and what you want to do with the photo.
And no, the cop has no legal right to confiscate it for any reason.

What I don't understand is, why you wasted the drone for a sign shot?
A regular camera couldn't do the same job?

As for the ignorant cop, he's just being a bully.
Showing his rookie trainee how to handle the situation.

If some cop pulled that crap on me, I'd get out my regular camera and snap his photo.
Posting his photo on youtube.

sergekouper said:
You definitely need some laws. In the UK it's much clearer, the rules are:
no less than 50 meters from people you don't control,
no less than 50 meters of structures, buildings and vehicles.
no less than 150 m from crowds
No fly zones are enforced
You have to have the permission to take off from a property
400 feet high max.
500 meters radius max
If you fly professionally, you must be Licensed and insured (There's a certification based on an exam, theorical and practical, needed to operate commercialy an UAV)
Upon getting this certification, the CAA (FAA for the US) gives you permission to fly your drone (and this one only BTW). It is an official document that you'd better carry with you.
From there, unless you fly recklessly, Ugly Betty can complain as much as she wants, she will be the one in trouble!
I know it's still vague in the US , but I'm pretty sure things will change soon.

Just to be clear, are you saying you agree with these things and that we should also be subjected to this in the US?

kydan said:
What about Google Maps StreetView in all the neighborhoods!?!

This is ridiculous.

It's interesting that you brought that up. I'm making a earth zoom for the park using google maps, and of course the images are out of date so, I contacted them (Google) and asked if/when they would be updating the maps of this area. Their response was that they had no plans to update those images in the near or far future.

I thought it was a really odd thing to say, but now knowing about the law I wonder if that is the reason for the "near/far" wording.

EarthZoom2_zps37b819fa.jpg

EarthZoom3_zps2489a958.jpg

chuddly said:
good for you Carl...Im in Indiana also and its good to see someone stand up to a cop misquoting a law. All that law referenced is cops or is someone leaves a camera UNATTENDED on private property without the owner knowing.

There actually seem to be alot of us from Indiana on here Maybe we should all get together and fly some? Im south west of Indianapolis by about 30 miles and we live on 90 acres out in the middle of nowhere. Plenty of space to fly and not a soul will bother you or even know you flew.

I had no idea there were others here in the state, we should totally have a get together this summer.

darwin-t said:
I'm in Anderson. About 40 miles northeast of Indy. You can find me on the Flytrex web site.

We should all meet up, and seems only logical that I come down your way. Perhaps we should make a meet & greet thread, we could have more members here in Indiana.

Suwaneeguy said:
CarlJ

Kindly find yourself another attorney that knows the law.
No one has ever needed permission, verbal or written, to film a building, let alone a sign in public view.
As for the filming of people, well that depends on the nature of the filming and what you want to do with the photo.
And no, the cop has no legal right to confiscate it for any reason.

What I don't understand is, why you wasted the drone for a sign shot?
A regular camera couldn't do the same job?

As for the ignorant cop, he's just being a bully.
Showing his rookie trainee how to handle the situation.

If some cop pulled that crap on me, I'd get out my regular camera and snap his photo.
Posting his photo on youtube.

No a camera couldn't get the shot I wanted. The attorney is acting out of an abundance of caution, and I do like not being in jail, so I think I'll keep him. I was really way more antagonistic than I should of been with the cop, and it is a bad example to follow. It doesn't matter if the cop was right or not, it was foolish to provoke him. I wasn't mad, I was incensed, and reacting and not acting. It wasn't in my best interest to piss the cop off, get beaten up, and then spend some time in the county jail. It is far better to address my grievance with the Mayor and his staff through my attorney because it makes me seem less of a lunatic and more like a reasonable person that might be taken seriously.

I believe in civil discourse, and had a momentary lapse in judgment. I was wrong to do it, and I'll apologize to the police officer as soon as possible.

mickrat said:

Wow, great read, and I think you did the right thing by taking the camera down. Who needs that kind of grief? I just hope that people understand that we are not the government, and in their zeal to stick it too the man, and protect their right to privacy, they don't forget that we hobbyist have rights as well. I think that article pointed out that to ban cameras in public places would be a violation of the first amendment and freedom of expression.

sergekouper said:
You definitely need some laws. In the UK it's much clearer, the rules are:
no less than 50 meters from people you don't control,
no less than 50 meters of structures, buildings and vehicles.
no less than 150 m from crowds
No fly zones are enforced
You have to have the permission to take off from a property
400 feet high max.
500 meters radius max
If you fly professionally, you must be Licensed and insured (There's a certification based on an exam, theorical and practical, needed to operate commercialy an UAV)
Upon getting this certification, the CAA (FAA for the US) gives you permission to fly your drone (and this one only BTW). It is an official document that you'd better carry with you.
From there, unless you fly recklessly, Ugly Betty can complain as much as she wants, she will be the one in trouble!
I know it's still vague in the US , but I'm pretty sure things will change soon.

Holy Nanny State!

I really, really hope the US doesn't end up like you guys with regards to those laws.

You can download release forms for people to sign but you only truly need them if you are shooting for commercial, wide release. Even in limited commercial use (i.e. not for broadcast or general distribution) it is deemed unnecessary.

The release provides limited protection and people can still cause trouble despite them. In fact, such is the nature of the law that any one person can make it very difficult for you to carry on despite following all applicable rules. As would seem to be the case here.

Anecdotally, the inverse is also true where productions repeatedly break the law but law enforcement, local authorities turn a blind eye to it because it is big budget and generating local revenue.

P.S. as to the CAA rules, you can keep 'em!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl