H3-3D problem: motor noise, tilt/reset and possible fix

QYV

Reaction score
EDIT: first off, let's be clear you should be on the latest H3-3D firmware and anti-interference board installed

IrishSights suggested to check the balance on my gimbal/gopro, the results of which are this video demonstrating how my gimbal is definitely not balanced to the motor side on this particular axis:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JalsB-N5QP0
So I decided to test the balance theory by applying some redneck engineering and counterbalance with some gaffer tape which seems to have done the trick I no longer get any of the symptoms described in my original post (below)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5J_CCL62UE

Original post:
My gimbal has suddenly starting having an issue pointing straight ahead I don't really feel like it was doing this a few days ago.

The startup sequence seems normal, and let's say my X1 lever on my RC has it pointing straight down. As I move the lever to bring the gimbal facing straight ahead, starting a little over halfway a whine starts from the vertical motor and gets louder and louder until it is quite loud as the gimbal points straight ahead. After a second or 2 the gimbal goes limp and tries to reset, it ticks to one side (the whine stops) but then immediately when it goes back to pointing ahead the whine comes back.
This repeats infinitely... when the whine is occurring I can feel that vertical motor working quite hard.
video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QY7s7ydYlVM

I can make basically the same thing happen using the Assistant software, with the X1 lever all the way "up"...if I adjust the vertical limit slider, anywhere between -25 and +25 with the worst being right in the middle at zero.

of course all my firmwares are the latest

any suggestions? it really sucks trying to fly FPV when my max forward view is about -20 to -25 degrees

Re: H3-3D has problem pointing straight ahead

Do you have any filters attached that might throw the Gimbal into hibernation? Sounds like its straining to maintain it within its balance limits.

In The Assistant software Advanced=>Gimbal you can use the Gimbal Config to adjust the maximum angle forward and downward.

Are you fully uptodate with all the firmware?

edit: didn't help. Here's a video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QY7s7ydYlVM

I also remembered that my buddy's gopro last week didn't have the problem so I swapped it and lo and behold it seemed fine. the problem was still there but at a fraction of the severity basically it was fine, every 15 seconds or so I heard a teensy whine then it stopped.
Put my brand new gopro on and boom. problem is back in force.

nope no filters.
re:software indeed that's what I was saying if I have the max vertical limit at -20 it's fine, but then I can't bring the camera straight up because it's limited. Horizontal limit doesn't seem to change anything.

yep all the firmware is latest but I'm re-flashing the H3-3D because "self excited oscillation of the yaw axis" sure sounds like what's going on

I was thinking what you said about balance so I've been playing with the different gopros, I realized it acts a little bit differently every time I swap it. sometimes the whine is really bad, other times it's barely there like right now I can have the gimbal at 10deg and it's barely there.

this 3D must be incredible sensitive to imbalance or something. my earlier 2D was way more forgiving I ran that thing battery in, battery out..

Yes I've noticed the 3D is more sensitive than the 2D to imbalance. However I have a polarizing filter on mine counter weighted and its ok. Mines a H3+ Black.

Sent from Samsung S4 via Tapatalk

How did you counter balance the GoPro? Mine drops slightly to the left when looking at the horizon.
PhilH

Phil H said:
How did you counter balance the GoPro? Mine drops slightly to the left when looking at the horizon.
PhilH
Do you mean when it is active? That sounds like imu calibration is needed. Counterweights wiill not help that. Set it on a level surface and use a spirit level across the legs to get it absolutely level then do a full IMU calibration. That sorted the off horizon for me.

IrishSights said:
Phil H said:
How did you counter balance the GoPro?...
PhilH
Here is the post as to how I balanced a polarizing filter on Zenmuse 3D with a hero3+ Black.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=20457&p=188362&hilit=balance+irishsights#p188171

Ima check into that too so I can maybe use my ND filter thanks

this original issue is still pissing me off. I mean okay now I can at least fly with the camera pointed down like 10deg but I feel like my H3-3D is being severely overworked like running all the time when it doesn't need to, also this screeching of the motor can't be healthy

QYV said:
Ima check into that too so I can maybe use my ND filter thanks

this original issue is still pissing me off. I mean okay now I can at least fly with the camera pointed down like 10deg but I feel like my H3-3D is being severely overworked like running all the time when it doesn't need to, also this screeching of the motor can't be healthy
When it is not powered if you set the gimbel in different postions does it stay in that position or does it tilt another way? It should stay in whatever position you set it in.

I'll some experimenting soon and get a video

i guess I'm not the only one. i have the exact same problem and the h3-3d is brand new! i have to set my vertical -10 for the sound to go away. should i return it and get another one? yeah i would hate to fly at vertical at -10 every time. oh yeah mine doesn't reset, i just makes that loud noise.

So just an update. Had my first flight out with the gimbal with the vertical set at -10 to prevent the loud sound.went home and set the vertical back to 0 just to see if its still there and it magically went away. Hmmm. Hope it doesn't come back.

That happens to my Zenmuse also.

Have you found any solutions to your problem?

IrishSights said:
When it is not powered if you set the gimbel in different postions does it stay in that position or does it tilt another way? It should stay in whatever position you set it in.

finally got around to making a video... is this normal?

update: I decided to test IrishSights' balance theory and added a little counterweight to the opposite side of the gopro, seems to have done the trick! I can point the gimbal at any angle including straight ahead and there's no "I'm being overworked" sound from the motors, no gimbal reset, none of the problems I demonstrated in my original post.
video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5J_CCL62UE

QYV said:
IrishSights said:

update: I decided to test IrishSights' balance theory and added a little counterweight to the opposite side of the gopro, seems to have done the trick! I can point the gimbal at any angle including straight ahead and there's no "I'm being overworked" sound from the motors, no gimbal reset, none of the problems I demonstrated in my original post.

this is interesting. thanks for the updates!

QYV said:
IrishSights said:

Balancing the gimbal(even if it was new) helped also helped me!
Thank you for your update!

Re: H3-3D cannot look straight ahead, tilt / resets

Its weird that its out of balance with a naked GoPro. I know I am risking sounding like trying to teach granny's how to suck eggs and not intending any offence whatsoever but can you confirm that the battery and MICROSD card was in the GoPro? Its all weight on the side you need it. I'm really grasping at straws here. LOL

Glad you eventually got it in a state you can get out there and film with it!

IrishSights said:
Its weird that its out of balance with a naked GoPro. I know I am risking sounding like trying to teach granny's how to suck eggs and not intending any offence whatsoever but can you confirm that the battery and MICROSD card was in the GoPro? Its all weight on the side you need it. I'm really grasping at straws here. LOL

Glad you eventually got it in a state you can get out there and film with it!

I can only speak for my self, but the only difference between troubled Zenmuse and perfectly working Zenmuse is counterweight on USB side. Which is tape. Will add velcro and coin later on.

IrishSights said:

I'm not one to take offense easily and why would I those are perfectly valid questions :) yes, indeed I had the battery in and a SD card. Honestly I'm not trying to do anything fancy or weird with it.
There must be some microscopic variations in GoPro weight, my buddy's Silver didn't have the issue but when I switched to my brand new 3+ Black it did. oh well... multiple flights yesterday and everything seems to be working great.

Now I'm just trying to decide if it's worth trying to get a replacement or just leave it heh

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl