H3-3D problem: motor noise, tilt/reset and possible fix

Re: H3-3D cannot look straight ahead, tilt / resets

QYV said:
I'm not one to take offense easily and why would I those are perfectly valid questions :) yes, indeed I had the battery in and a SD card. Honestly I'm not trying to do anything fancy or weird with it.
There must be some microscopic variations in GoPro weight, my buddy's Silver didn't have the issue but when I switched to my brand new 3+ Black it did. oh well... multiple flights yesterday and everything seems to be working great.

Now I'm just trying to decide if it's worth trying to get a replacement or just leave it heh

I told my dealer about the problem, and they sent me a replacement. I also got the Hero+, so DJI might want to know about the problem if this only occur with Hero+. I'll get back to you when I have tried the new gimbal.

Haugen said:
QYV said:
I'm not one to take offense easily and why would I those are perfectly valid questions :) yes, indeed I had the battery in and a SD card. Honestly I'm not trying to do anything fancy or weird with it.
There must be some microscopic variations in GoPro weight, my buddy's Silver didn't have the issue but when I switched to my brand new 3+ Black it did. oh well... multiple flights yesterday and everything seems to be working great.

Now I'm just trying to decide if it's worth trying to get a replacement or just leave it heh

I told my dealer about the problem, and they sent me a replacement. I also got the Hero+, so DJI might want to know about the problem if this only occur with Hero+. I'll get back to you when I have tried the new gimbal.

i just got my replacement and it's the same. it seems like if its not placed at a flat surface during start up it seems to be unbalance and makes the sound. but that should not matter since it is a stabilizer gimbal. so im a little confused.

but will try to balance it with tape and hopefully it works for me. i have another hero3+ BE and will try it also. but would this avoid the warranty, balancing it with the tape?

I can't imagine how sticking a few pieces of tape or something would invalidate a warranty, especially on the gopro. they're designed to be pretty darn tough...

Re: H3-3D has problem pointing straight ahead

Haugen said:
QYV said:
IrishSights said:
When it is not powered if you set the gimbel in different postions does it stay in that position or does it tilt another way? It should stay in whatever position you set it in.

finally got around to making a video... is this normal?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JalsB-N5QP0

update: I decided to test IrishSights' balance theory and added a little counterweight to the opposite side of the gopro, seems to have done the trick! I can point the gimbal at any angle including straight ahead and there's no "I'm being overworked" sound from the motors, no gimbal reset, none of the problems I demonstrated in my original post.
video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5J_CCL62UE

Balancing the gimbal(even if it was new) helped also helped me!
Thank you for your update!

i added some tape on the usb and a little on the back of the gimbal. thanks for the fix! :)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/68d1cp6jfjpry9b/IMG_0370_FPV.mov

i wonder what could of cause it to be unbalanced, since its brand new fresh out of the box.

Do you have Hero+? I have seen gimbals out of balance with Hero+, but not with silver. It might have something with that.
I just received the replacement, and it seems to be out of balance, but it's not tilting or making any noise. So far....

Haugen said:
Do you have Hero+? I have seen gimbals out of balance with Hero+, but not with silver. It might have something with that.
I just received the replacement, and it seems to be out of balance, but it's not tilting or making any noise. So far....

I do. the first gopro I put on was a hero3 silver and didn't notice any problems, but when I went to my Hero3+ Black was when that stuff started that led to my original post.

Been up probably a dozen times now with the gaffer tape counterweight in place and zero problems with the gimbal or motors. Too many guys here saying they got a replacement gimbal with the same problem so I'm just going to live with it.

QYV said:
Haugen said:

I do. the first gopro I put on was a hero3 silver and didn't notice any problems, but when I went to my Hero3+ Black was when that stuff started that led to my original post.

Been up probably a dozen times now with the gaffer tape counterweight in place and zero problems with the gimbal or motors. Too many guys here saying they got a replacement gimbal with the same problem so I'm just going to live with it.

Then it's probably the weight of the Hero3+ which is causing the trouble. If it happens to me with the replacement, I will counterweight it and contact both the dealer and DJI. They should know the problem lies with 3+. At least with the Hero3+ it seems to be recurring.

Re: H3-3D problem: motor noise, tilt/reset and possible fi

Haugen said:
QYV said:
Haugen said:

Then it's probably the weight of the Hero3+ which is causing the trouble. If it happens to me with the replacement, I will counterweight it and contact both the dealer and DJI. They should know the problem lies with 3+. At least with the Hero3+ it seems to be recurring.
Mine is a Hero3+Black and without the CPL and the counterweights it balances perfectly. My 3D is the one with the USB plug. Im beginning to wonder if there is quality control issue with some 3Ď's?

QYV said:
IrishSights said:
When it is not powered if you set the gimbel in different postions does it stay in that position or does it tilt another way? It should stay in whatever position you set it in.

finally got around to making a video... is this normal?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JalsB-N5QP0

update: I decided to test IrishSights' balance theory and added a little counterweight to the opposite side of the gopro, seems to have done the trick! I can point the gimbal at any angle including straight ahead and there's no "I'm being overworked" sound from the motors, no gimbal reset, none of the problems I demonstrated in my original post.
video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5J_CCL62UE

Regarding your video - without power some do lean to one side. I have 4 of them and 2 actually lean but has no ill effect when powered on.

Hello, Irish Sights:
I have a question for you. Tonight, I was not getting video from my camera and discovered the small flat cable was damaged. I had a replacement and changed it out and I got video again. I noticed that the GoPro Black 3+ was very warm and wondered if this is normal? I don't recall it being that was with the old cable. You thoughts?

Phil H

Phil H said:
Hello, Irish Sights:
I have a question for you. Tonight, I was not getting video from my camera and discovered the small flat cable was damaged. I had a replacement and changed it out and I got video again. I noticed that the GoPro Black 3+ was very warm and wondered if this is normal? I don't recall it being that was with the old cable. You thoughts?

Phil H
Yeah mine always gets warm. I wouldn't worry too much. If its very hot then maybe you got a problem :(

EMCSQUAR said:
Regarding your video - without power some do lean to one side. I have 4 of them and 2 actually lean but has no ill effect when powered on.

You're absolutely right I hope people aren't getting the impression that my redneck engineering fixes every H3-3D issue, only my specific problem from the original post video... in which I wouldn't describe the imbalance as a "lean" man it dropped like a rock down to one side with no counterbalance, and at any time on ground or in flight that the gimbal tried to point "straight" ahead I'd get that reset procedure (where it goes limp then comes back) on that particular axis/motor. Now that I have the counterweight added there's a tiny lean (shown in my latest video) but gimbal operation is 100% normal. I think the amount of lean/imbalance is key here, these are very sensitive pieces we're talking about.

I did notice that a lot of other people were having the exact same or very similar issue, and so far adding a little bit of counterweight to balance that one bad axis/motor/whatever has helped so.. *shrug*. Just tryin to help out the community with what worked for me.

Don't know if this is related or not, but I thought I had screwed up my Zenmuse H3-3D. I had removed the Go-Pro to take it to the boat for the weekend. When I put it back on, I thought I would try the Gopro Zenmuse Bracket holder rather than screw the OEM one back on. I bought that clip on thing thinking it would be easier on the gimbal than unscrewing it every time I wanted to use the camera for other things. Actually, I think it's a push there - probably just as much trauma to the gimbal as screwing it on and off.
But, when I fired up my quad with the new "clip" on it, it started into its normal system checks, dancing around but this time it made some nasty noise and wouldn't pull up to straight ahead. It sounded like the servo was stalling or there were gears stripping. I was really worried. I took off the clip and re-installed the screw on holder and, Voila, no problems. I think the clip on thing had it severely unbalanced. I might have had it "backwards" but it looked like if I turned it around, it would interfere with the LED, etc. I've since seen on Shapeways website, under the Gopro Zenmuse Bracket, that many others are having the same problem. I'll stick with the screw on one until they get a fix or refund my money...

interesting, thanks for sharing - I was about to go buy one of those clips but I've been concerned what it would do to my balancing, since mine is already very sensitive. I think I'll hold off and stick with the stock equipment too

That gopro clamp on shapeways does have that issue with the H3-3D (I experience it with mine too). Seems that the bracket doesn't pinch the camera quite as tight as the stock one and lets the camera micro-wiggle just enough to piss off the gimbal.

Some users have had success by adding a little padding (like the soft side of Velcro) on the inside surface of the bracket to hold the camera more securely, but I haven't tested that yet myself.

Ok, has anyone else seen this? I just purchased a GoPro Hero 3+ Black edition, and when I put it on the DJI H3-3D, it goes crazy. As soon as I put back on my old Hero 3, all works as it should?

The Phantom is upgraded to latest FW 3.06, and the GoPro H3+ has been upgraded to latest FW.

Below is a quick vid showing first the H3, and then the H3+.

http://youtu.be/2IijRIAGBAQ

hsestes said:
Ok, has anyone else seen this? I just purchased a GoPro Hero 3+ Black edition, and when I put it on the DJI H3-3D, it goes crazy. As soon as I put back on my old Hero 3, all works as it should?

The Phantom is upgraded to latest FW 3.06, and the GoPro H3+ has been upgraded to latest FW.

Try it again with the camera mounting bracket installed.

OI Photography said:
hsestes said:

Try it again with the camera mounting bracket installed.
:) Well, I feel a little silly. I usually fly with a few rubberbands holding it in so I can quickly get it out for other actvities.. The bracket did the trick. Hard to think that it works with H3, but not on the H3+.. Guess I will have to carry that allen wrench with me :)

OI Photography said:
That gopro clamp on shapeways does have that issue with the H3-3D (I experience it with mine too). Seems that the bracket doesn't pinch the camera quite as tight as the stock one and lets the camera micro-wiggle just enough to piss off the gimbal.

Some users have had success by adding a little padding (like the soft side of Velcro) on the inside surface of the bracket to hold the camera more securely, but I haven't tested that yet myself.
I'll give that a try. But I still think that putting it on and taking it off is still harder on the H3-3D than the screw on one...

dmagnus said:
OI Photography said:

I'll give that a try. But I still think that putting it on and taking it off is still harder on the H3-3D than the screw on one...

Could be...are you attaching the bracket while the gimbal is powered on?

I had pretty much given up on the shapeways bracket anyway, I just happened to notice that recommended fix the other day. I might test it, but it honestly hasn't been a big deal and I leave the camera in the gimbal as much as possible now to reduce plug-unplug cycles on the delicate USB ribbon cable.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1