GPS Tracking?

flyNfrank said:
The cheapest option for GPS Tracking is to use an old app phone with service, then install the app from this website http://www.greenalp.com. Name of app is "Real Time GPS Tracker 2".

I'm currently looking into this setup. Tagg http://www.pettracker.com . It shows a $199 which also covers 1 year free service. After that the monthly amount is $5. Overall this appears as one of the better options I've seen. The key part is the $5 a month fee. Here you only spend $60 a year which is a lot less, plus it pretty much has all the bells & whistles as other setups do.

Thanks for the Pet tracker info. the only problem with using the old phone is that when using any app based smart phone through verizon requires a $35.00 per monthly service fee. That is just to be able to use the phone for anything, thats no data package or anything. Just to have the phone active.

Would someone with the TAGG pet tracker and a gram scale weigh their unit as they fly it? I assume Velcro or double-sided tape are the preferred methods? Can't tell how much of the plastic tabs / watch band part of it is necessary for Phantom use.

Kelly

Just a side note, I had the TAGG long before the Phantom. In fact I had not been using the TAGG for several months as I had replaced it with different technology and was VERY excited to re-purpose the TAGG.
The first thing I did after unpacking my Phantom was take a photo of the serial # and code on the bottom then installed the TAGG collar mount to it. The locator itself snaps into place on the collar mount so it only takes a second to take it off and put it back on after charging.
I usually get a week and a half out of the TAGG before I get a low battery alert but when it was new (almost 2 years ago) I would get 2-3 weeks out of it, pinging it a couple times per day.
The accuracy is pretty good too, within a few meters.

Michigan_PI said:
I am using a TAGG pet locator on mine. 40g mounted and a nice sexy install. Easy on, easy off.

Hey Michigan _PI, could you post a photo of your TAGG instill on your Phantom? This would help me decide on where and how to mount if I decide to go with the Tagg System.

Thanks so much

Michigan_PI said:
I'm sorry, I thought I did... I guess I didn't hit [Submit] before I got called away from my computer!

Here you go:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=15262&start=20#p144721

That is a cool install and also adds to the high tech look of the Phantom. How did you affix the mounting base to the bottom of the Phantom?

double sided foam backed tape (servo tape)
It has been on there for about 2 months.
I give it a slight tug during my normal pre-flight to make sure it isn't getting loose.

I had a real bad crash this weekend camping trip with my FC40 dropping like a rock from about 800 feet up and over 1/2 mile away on the other side of a river and a small mountain way out in the middle of no ware ville and at night. Caused by the power wire coming off the main board. all I could do was watch it fall. I had add in lights on it and they stayed lit. I thought for sure it was not even worth trying to find it being it was so far way and also lots of wooded area and farm land. also just to get to the other side of the river is a 10 mile drive and only a few roads and far areas between each road. But the next day Some one there wanted to atleast try and find it. So I said well ok tho 1 in a million odds we will. But some how just by pure chance we drove over and there was a small dirt road with a dead end sign. we decided to turn on to as it went in the general direction of the river and then when we got on it we seen a road sign and it was a road that looked to be sort of in line in the direction of were I was when I was flying it. So we go down the road some more and come to a gate. I figured ok well were not going to find it. Then she says "well you want to get out and atleast go look in the feild" at this point I'm figuring maybe she just wanted to get me out in a field were no one was around. lol :) lol so I said ok. and I'll be dammed. about 20 feet past the gate I seen what looked like 2 white sticks sticking up from a clearing. and didnt think it was it then she points to the same spot and says Is that it right there. I pulled out the binoculars and sure enough it was. laying on its back. only damage was a bent prop and lots of dirt on it. and the broken solder connection that caused the crash. was able to take it back to camp and between others there that happened to have there work vehicles and tools I was able to borrow a soldering iron and a set of hex wrenches and even had a tank of compressed air to blow out the grass and dirt in the motors. and was able to get right back to flying i less then an hour.

I cant keep counting on pure luck to be able to find it or my phantom 2 vision if and when that ever decides to fly away or have false non dji battery error crash. and even after a few bad crashes its definitely worth the insurance of having a gps tracker. Tho its not the phantom I worry about surviving a crash as much as just being able to find it and the gps being able to survive a big impact and being able to still work and send a message were its at to go and get it.

The key to a TAGG tacker is you must have good Verizon cellular coverage in your fly area.

The first 2 months of service are included with the Tagg Tracker. After that, $9.95/month; or, I went with the $98 annual fee option instead (cancel at any time.) One-time $14.95 activation fee.

A lot of online research and this video convinced me to go with TAGG: http://youtu.be/5yEHnZ6SPOs

I purchased mine as a refurb for $70:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/371032441941?ss ... 1439.l2649

Currently have it zip tied to the P2V+ but working on a better way to mount. Weight is not an issue.

TAGG has a great app and I've tested it several times. Pretty accurate, beats the heck out of lucky.

PS: Also works on my wandering lab on hunting trips.

The tagg is one of the ones I have been considering. it looks rugid and also Verizon cellular coverage is about the only servis that has good coverage any ware by were I live.

THo I am wondering about the activation fee and monthly fee. Can you just get a few months per year and renew it in flying season with out having to repay any activation fees?

I have a GPS TRACKER (TK102B) and inside a prepaid sim.

I paid one time €20,-
For €20,- you get 275 sms.
Remains well for 1 year, or until it is used up. :D
No monthly amount.
No website, (one time €5,- for the app on my phone)
I send a sms and see where my bird is. :cool:

In theory I like the idea of the ones you just put a sim card in to it. and it being a cheaper monthly option that way. tho I'm having a hard time finding any cheap monthly plans that also roll over in to other months if its not used. other then some t Mobil ones which t mobile happens to not have very good coverage in a lot of spots near me.

I pretty much decided to order the TAGG setup. I wanted to do just a little more research on gps trackers which ended up being another 4 hours of my time, on a rainy day this past weekend. But I ended up ordering a setup that if it turns out being what it says it is, and what I think it is, it could be one of the better setups to go with. Now, if it were something that I already took delivery of, and would put it through testing, I would provide links and share in much more detail.

Purchased the Pocket Finder myself. I based my purchase first based on programmable features, overall range, battery consumption, smartphone applications, pc interface and the overall reliability and precision in which it works. I paid $118.00 SH included and the monthly service will cost me around $12.00 per month. Oh, did I mention how small and light this thing is? I configured it today and tested it for 7 hours by placing it in my sons truck glove box. and monitored it throughout the day while he was on his many errands today. The farthest distance was 45 miles with many stops throughout the day. I launched my Android App and called him when he would leave one location and go to the next. It literally showed me the exact address as well as GPS Coords. It also sent me text messages when he exceeded the preset speed limits I had configured. At one time he reached speeds of 82mph (for a very short distance on the interstate) and I instantly received a text message warning me of this. He knew he would getting a phone call as a result of this and once he answered he said, "Yes I was doing 80mph, I wanted to see if you would actually call me" LOL. The App sends text message alerts notifying battery condition, you can in live time set Geofences, and it also provides 60 days of tracking history. I am very happy with this product and very impressed with its technology and capabilities. Yes, some have laughed at me for buying a tracker, well just call me a wus. I know to some $1,400 is not a lot of money but to me it is. I cannot afford to just drop another $1,400 tomorrow if it decides to migrate back to China on a Fly Off. With my luck during a fly off it would likely end up in the Mississippi River, 150' in the top of the tree or crash through someones living room window and I will have to deal with that drama. Even if it pretty well toast I will at least be able to recover some of my mods and add ons and potentially have it repaired depending on the amount of damage. So just call me a big ole wussy, if I could find someone who sold some kind of replacement insurance I would gladly spend $20.00 per month on it too for the first 6 months or so, by then it will have already paid for itself in entertainment value. I have included a link to the company website where you can see all the features and watch some pretty neat videos but if you choose to order google the product as most are much cheaper with their retail price. Just my two cents and passing along my real life experience with a pretty neat and reliable little product that gives me some peace of mind. Here is the link! http://www.pocketfinder.com/

kymedic121 said:
So just call me a big ole wussy...

I doubt there are many Phantom pilots who regret having spent one-time and recurring dollars/euros on a GPS tracker. Versus the hundreds if not thousands of Phantom pilots that wish they had. I call that smart, not wussy.

How many grams is your tracker?

Kelly

Kelly,

I don't have a scale handy and the package only has weight of the overall package and contents. I am a good judge of weight and I would say around 5oz even if that. I know one thing its smaller than and Oreo Cookie. Its small.

actually the pocketfinder says its 1.4 ounces which is about 40 grams.

I was going to go with the Tagg but just opted to get the pocket finder. after reading lots of bad reviews on there customer service and lots of complaints with some not being able to activate them or get any warranty coverage If any thing goes wrong.
plus I realized tho it would fit and look good on my phantom 2 vision. But I'm running out of room on my fC40 to be able to add much of any thing else on it. and the pocket finder won out over the tagg even tho it costs more per month. But still cheap for what it does.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Michello