GPS not working

Reaction score
Whilst flying in GPS mode yesterday, after 5 minutes or so, my Phantom wasn't as stable as she usually is and wouldn't hover, even though there was good satellite coverage. Having had to make a forced landing, I completed an advanced re calibration (which was required) and flew successfully for around 5 minutes this afternoon, switching between both GPS & ATTI modes. After 5 minutes or so, she wouldn't hover in GPS mode. I landed and changed the battery but this time though, I had the "less than 5 satellites" warning light. I returned home, opened her up and checked the connections. To be honest, I don't know where the GPS lies, so I made sure that the NAZA connectors were tight, along with the connectors inside the top of the lid.

I returned to the local fields where I test fly from and I still couldn't gain any satellites. I'm able to fly in ATTI mode, but when switched to GPS, she's still flying as in ATTI. I plan on taking her back to my suppliers tomorrow, but has anyone here got any pointers please? Thank you.

LAWRENCE

The GPS module is located in the top of the shell, under that gray covering.

1. It may be broken, but if that was the case there would be a reason (such as a crash) that you could relate to its failure.

2. It might just be disconnected (although you checked this)

3. The switch on your transmitter could be defective or broken.

That's all I can think of at the moment. Hopefully it's something like one of the above, and not just another mystery problem that can't be figured out.

Sac D said:
The GPS module is located in the top of the shell, under that gray covering.

1. It may be broken, but if that was the case there would be a reason (such as a crash) that you could relate to its failure.

2. It might just be disconnected (although you checked this)

3. The switch on your transmitter could be defective or broken.

That's all I can think of at the moment. Hopefully it's something like one of the above, and not just another mystery problem that can't be figured out.

Thank you for your feedback. I forgot to mention that it did come down to Earth with a bang, but this was AFTER it wasn't flying correctly.

I was wondering about the switch on the transmitter, but the Phantom's LED's tell me that there's less than 5 satellites available, which I find hard to believe as it normally picks up a good reception within a couple of minutes. Also, when in ATTI mode, the LED's are flashing yellow & 3 red which (as you'll probably know) says that there are less than 5 satellites.

Hhhmm, I can see a trip back to the suppliers tomorrow.

Sac D said:
One thing you can easily do to check that switch (SW2) is connect up to the NAZA Assistant and verify it there.

Thanks. I've just tried and it's moving and I'm getting these results:-

GPS = -797
ATTI (MIDDLE) = 5
ATTI (BOTTOM) = 821

Even though it shows it's working, are these figures within tolerance, or is it just a case of proving that the switch is working? Thanks again.

8638540278_cbea9d5934_z.jpg

LAWRENCE

Sac D said:
It shows that it is working on this screen?

Yes, thanks. I've been on that menu and toggled through GPS, and both ATTI's (I've now found how to fly in manual, but I shall leave it set as ATTI for now!). So that proves that the switch is working and points directly at what I first thought, the GPS unit is faulty :-(. Hopefully it'll be covered under the warranty?

Lawrence Clift said:
So that proves that the switch is working and points directly at what I first thought, the GPS unit is faulty :-(. Hopefully it'll be covered under the warranty?
[/quote]

It should be covered... probably depends on your dealer. I've never seen an actual warranty on these things.
I hope they can get you squared away soon.

Sac D said:
Lawrence Clift said:
So that proves that the switch is working and points directly at what I first thought, the GPS unit is faulty :-(. Hopefully it'll be covered under the warranty?

It should be covered... probably depends on your dealer. I've never seen an actual warranty on these things.
I hope they can get you squared away soon.[/quote]

Many thanks for your input. I shall let you know of the outcome.

LAWRENCE

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl