Got my Section 333 Exemptions, But now I need a Sport Pilot Cert..... Ugggggg

Check and search. I can't recall where exactly but FAA would impose theoretical knowledge examination which would include oral testing by certified flight instructor (CFI) and the FAA written test. On the other hand they won't care much type of aircraft you're certified for since in practical terms all the intricacies of flying a manned aircraft are very different from drone copter flying.

Again, google it and check! I believe FAA regulations should be approved by end of 2015.

Please, anyone, for the benefit of all of us...correct me if I'm wrong in anyway.

Thanks.
The recent exemptions are a lot more relaxed and streamlined that the original few dozen. Those all required a commercial pilot certificate and a second class medical certificate. Nowadays, any pilot certificate will do. While it's correct that flying a Cessna is completely different from flying a drone, getting the airman's certificate will teach you about FAA rules, communication with ATC, and a good understanding of what the pilot is concentrating on while talking to the tower, and taking off and landing. Besides that when the Part 107 rules are finalized, you will have 90% of the necessary knowledge to pass the Drone Operator Certificate written test.

The Part 107 NPRM is moving through the FAA at bureaucratic light speed. Most FAA NPRM's take three to five years to finalize, but Part 107 rules are likely to be finalized in late 2016.

but please don't tell me that I should do nothing when I have spent thousands on having my exemptions written, sent and approved and thousands setting up a LEGAL business.
I think I see the problem.
Yes, you did everything correct. You probably used a lawyer to set up your business licensing with the state, get appropriate insurance, and your lawyer likely sent you to an aviation attorney to draw up the Section 333 exemption petition. You did everything right and it did cost a few thousand dollars, so the thought of someone flying a drone commercially without an exemption or pilot certificate probably strokes the fur the wrong way. I can appreciate where you are coming from because you will have to charge $300 or more to recover the cost of starting the business in a year while some kid down the road can fly the same photo mission with a Phantom 2 will only charge $100. I can assure you that in a year you will still be charging $300 per mission and running a profitable business, while the kid with a Phantom will be again mowing lawns to replace the Phantom that he crashed.

I apologize for setting off the hostility. If you're ever in my area I'll buy you lunch.

You make a lot of assumptions. The first is that I am "doing a business without working with the FAA". I hold commercial and flight instructor certificates with an IFR rating and tailwheel endorsement. I also have .5 hrs logged in an Air Force C5A motion simulator - that was a blast. I also have .3 hrs in a NASA vertical ascent trainer - Disney has nothing close to it. I have about 1200 hours total, most of it in my own Cessna. Not counting the cost of the Cessna, I have probably spent north of $20 grand over the years from my certificates,ratings and currency check rides. Following the rules and directives of the FAA is very important to me because I risk a certificate action. That's a heck of a lot more risk than a monetary fine for violating rules.

Back to the original question.
If you read your Section 333 exemption, it probably says "Under this grant of exemption, a PIC must hold either an airline transport, commercial, private, recreational, or sport pilot certificate.". Not the exemption holder, the PIC. No, my 333 exemption petition has not been granted yet, but since my associate does have a Section 333 exemption and I have the commercial pilot certificate, we compliment each other. You have the same option. While you are working on your Sport Pilot certificate, you can hire the CFI or any certificated pilot) to fly your drone while you act as the VO. This is likely perfectly legal and in accordance with your Section 333 exemption. This way you can be taking clients as early as next week with clear conscience.

I am getting a little confused here! You said that the: "333 exemption, it probably says "Under this grant of exemption, a PIC must hold either an airline transport, commercial, private, recreational, or sport pilot certificate." Isn't the PIC, (Pilot in Command) the one flying the aircraft? (Or Phantom...) and isn't the 333 exemption issued to the Airman Certicate Holder? So, an associate with a 333 exemption and no pilot license could not fly commercially or an Airman Certificate Holder with out a 333 exemption could not fly a Phantom commercially! Am I getting this?

You gotta problem with it? I already did, so what are you going to do about it?

feel better now that you ran to mommy and daddy...

you will be making NO friends fast on this site with your sorry attitude and maturity level...

i know i want nothing to do with tattle tales...

have a great life...

Reactions: Monte55
I am getting a little confused here! You said that the: "333 exemption, it probably says "Under this grant of exemption, a PIC must hold either an airline transport, commercial, private, recreational, or sport pilot certificate." Isn't the PIC, (Pilot in Command) the one flying the aircraft? (Or Phantom...) and isn't the 333 exemption issued to the Airman Certicate Holder? So, an associate with a 333 exemption and no pilot license could not fly commercially or an Airman Certificate Holder with out a 333 exemption could not fly a Phantom commercially! Am I getting this?

333 Exemptions can be, and often are, issued to companies rather than individuals. This allows them to hire PICs under their company named exemptions.

So as the title says, I got my exemptions the other day but now realize I have to get my sport pilot certificate at the least in order to use it commercially.

Anyone know the ins and outs of getting it? is it difficult? Expensive? Can I get it from a crackerjack box?
I would research getting your Sport Pilot Certificate in powered parachutes if you have an instructor nearby. They're the easiest aircraft to learn to fly and you should be able to get your certificate in minimal time. It is also most likely the cheapest aircraft to get a certificate in.

Talk about first world problems. 'Oh darn, I have to go learn to fly airplanes now'. My heart bleeds.

Reactions: Brad Pierce
I have a feeling that by the time the Rule becomes final, no requirement to be a certified pilot will be in the rule other than some sort of aeronautical test that one needs to take...

I have heard that the FAA will not require a pilot lic. but will have a new certification with written exam for UAS operations. Isn't it 2017 when they expect to have the rules done?

i can only imagine how many commercial fliers without a 333 will be in the air if the FAA sits on this until 2017.

and personally i am all for civil disobedience(breaking FAA guidelines) if authority can't **** or get off the pot before then...

Reactions: Brad Pierce
For one I have looked and with your current comment I'm sure your local FSDO would love to see what your posted. I have gone ahead and made screenshots of your omission and wonder what they will say about your pilots certs after learning you are operating drones for profit without your exemptions. I do know more about you than you think XXXXXXX

*** Moderated content ***

You claim to have been a professional Photographer since 2000

You currently have NO EXEMPTIONS granted in your name (or business name) by the FAA (I have the ability to look that up)
Nor did a simple search of a pilots license prove worthy but we will let the FSDO do that research.

Let me know what they say to you about your business and your certs will ya? Maybe they will be able to prove to you what laws there are on operating an aircraft commercially without the proper certs and exemptions. With your license (If you even have one) you would know about airworthiness of a commercial aircraft (your drone) and know it is impossible to even get that done. So next time you want to pick a fight you might want to pick your opponent better. ;)
Wow! Can you be more salty?? Are we in grade school and does snitching make you feel better? Good luck with your business. I'm sure clients like your type of personality...

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart