Got my Section 333 Exemptions, But now I need a Sport Pilot Cert..... Ugggggg

Reaction score
So as the title says, I got my exemptions the other day but now realize I have to get my sport pilot certificate at the least in order to use it commercially.

Anyone know the ins and outs of getting it? is it difficult? Expensive? Can I get it from a crackerjack box?

Cost $$$ for a pilots license. Many school room hours as well as flight time to earn it.

I think someone posted the other day that it was $3K+.

You were not aware of this when you applied?

$3-5K depending on skill, aptitude, etc.

Find a local airport and you'll find flight school(s).

**** ,thats a bunch of crap. this quadcopter is not manned.
how do you fly 25 nautical miles?
2hour cross country flight?
waypoint flying over 75 nautical miles with 2 stops in between?
(some of the reqm'ts i saw)

What's next? IFR training?

There seems to be a lot of money behind these requirements. Unjustly so.

Reactions: snerd
What's next? IFR training?

There seems to be a lot of money behind these requirements. Unjustly so.
Well, that's the FAA's way to say "we are not ready and we were asleep while everyone else saw the growth of UAVs coming" so they are way behind in the rule promulgation process. The irony is that their proposed rules do not require a pilot's license and will probably and finally only consist of a written exam. So they are forcing people who can't wait another year to get a license they will not need later(?).

Reactions: Astronut71
They are ensuring that anyone operating commercially has knowledge of the airspace system and has demonstrated that they are capable of good decision making. They also want to be able to hold a drone operator accountable for their actions. I know that I would never risk my airman's certificate by doing something stupid with my UAV. As Luis says, the requirement will go away, but in the meantime they are playing it safe until they get the proper rules in place.

They are ensuring that anyone operating commercially has knowledge of the airspace system and has demonstrated that they are capable of good decision making. They also want to be able to hold a drone operator accountable for their actions. I know that I would never risk my airman's certificate by doing something stupid with my UAV. As Luis says, the requirement will go away, but in the meantime they are playing it safe until they get the proper rules in place.
Agreed. It burns my butt that even though I have a commercial pilot license I still can't fly UAVs for profit until I get my 333. I can fly a passenger or cargo for profit but not a P3P :mad:

It would be nice if they would allow commercial operations based on an existing airman certificate without the need for the exemption. It would have to be on the understanding that you are operating based on that certificate and are therefore accountable for any violations, just as you would be in a regular aircraft. What do you fly btw?

Reactions: Ti22
Agreed. It burns my butt that even though I have a commercial pilot license I still can't fly UAVs for profit until I get my 333. I can fly a passenger or cargo for profit but not a P3P :mad:

i never even considered it from that view point.

the FAA is truly a messed up organization...

It would be nice if they would allow commercial operations based on an existing airman certificate without the need for the exemption. It would have to be on the understanding that you are operating based on that certificate and are therefore accountable for any violations, just as you would be in a regular aircraft. What do you fly btw?
I am not flying anything at the moment, stroke in 2013 left me partially affected on my left side.

i never even considered it from that view point.

the FAA is truly a messed up organization...

B.S. it's world-class in aviation safety.

It's the model for world-wide aviation regulation.

But... like with many technologies the legislature has not been able to keep up.
Truly a concern going forward.

Reactions: jryser and Ti22
B.S. it's world-class in aviation safety.

It's the model for world-wide aviation regulation.

But... like with many technologies the legislature has not been able to keep up.
Truly a concern going forward.
Right on. The feds dropped the ball on UAVs and should have seen this growth coming. I am sure they'll get it all sorted out soon.

Whats the FAA waiting on?

they know what they are going to do already...

There will be at least another year from now before they start implementing anything different than what thy have now. This is what I have been told by the FAA Rule making department today on the phone. Im going to pay the $150 to go do a trial flight and see if that's what I would like to do but I don't see any issues with getting my pilots license. I may even just hire out the jobs that I get to local pilots that might want to earn the extra cash. This will give me the money to pay for my pilot license. Might as well go for my private at this point.

There will be at least another year from now before they start implementing anything different than what thy have now. This is what I have been told by the FAA Rule making department today on the phone. Im going to pay the $150 to go do a trial flight and see if that's what I would like to do but I don't see any issues with getting my pilots license. I may even just hire out the jobs that I get to local pilots that might want to earn the extra cash. This will give me the money to pay for my pilot license. Might as well go for my private at this point.
Yeap, I figured we are looking at a year. My 333 should come thru late September.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj