Got a call from the FAA today

Please elaborate as to your concern over the individual.[/QUOTE]

Gladly,

There was a post last week in the Phantom 3 Owners Group where a young kid was explaining almost exactly the same thing from a guy named Mike Minnix who actually came to his workplace (which was plane to see in the drone video) and threatened this kid with all sorts of legal action and told him he had to remove the video from YouTube WHILE HE WAS THERE WATCHING him.

Steve Mann, further up this post talks about how this was a prank post or whatever, it is not. What this is is an FAA employee out playing "make believe sheriff" and getting off by threatening people and disparaging them. The person that did all of this was also named Mike Minnix from the FSDO.

This person was also removed from the DJI Facebook group because people there said that he was lying and pranking everyone.

This is typical behavior from FAA management as I saw it my entire career as an Air Traffic Controller in Atlanta. I plan to pursue this calmly and with every applicable complaint mechanism in the FAA before this guy gets even more out of hand.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
Tis just in...
The fine folks over at the DJI Phantom 3 Owners group reconsidered and let this person back into the group as it was discovered that he was indeed NOT pranking them. Thanks forum.

Steven,
This is Stephen in Atlanta. We are actively pursuing agencies here in Atlanta that are also trying to make up their own rules. I am a retired FAA Air Traffic Controller and well versed on internal workings and the law concerning drones.
Was this person's name Mike Minnix by any chance?
Did you get a name and office for this knucklehead? Can you email me that info?
sramsden at solarastronomy dot org

Check your e-mail.

Please elaborate as to your concern over the individual.

Gladly,

There was a post last week in the Phantom 3 Owners Group where a young kid was explaining almost exactly the same thing from a guy named Mike Minnix who actually came to his workplace (which was plane to see in the drone video) and threatened this kid with all sorts of legal action and told him he had to remove the video from YouTube WHILE HE WAS THERE WATCHING him.

Steve Mann, further up this post talks about how this was a prank post or whatever, it is not. What this is is an FAA employee out playing "make believe sheriff" and getting off by threatening people and disparaging them. The person that did all of this was also named Mike Minnix from the FSDO.

This person was also removed from the DJI Facebook group because people there said that he was lying and pranking everyone.

This is typical behavior from FAA management as I saw it my entire career as an Air Traffic Controller in Atlanta. I plan to pursue this calmly and with every applicable complaint mechanism in the FAA before this guy gets even more out of hand.[/QUOTE]

Thanks.

If you flew it over crowds and at night then you presented a hazard to public safety. This forum is full of posts about fly-aways and crashes. You are not immune to these mishaps, and should act responsibly or we will all suffer- but not as much as the people (including kids) who you crash your 4 spinning blades into. Wise up, dude.

If you flew it over crowds and at night then you presented a hazard to public safety. This forum is full of posts about fly-aways and crashes. You are not immune to these mishaps, and should act responsibly or we will all suffer- but not as much as the people (including kids) who you crash your 4 spinning blades into. Wise up, dude.
Being ambushed at work with a threatening phone call is not the way to inform the drone owner safer practices are needed.
Maybe a friendly comment to call his office on the video post or e-mail?
Keeping everything friendly is better than scare tactics and bullying.
He could have handled it differently.
Just my opinion, dude.

Last edited:
You Nervous-Nellies. All the hand-wringing and worry. I don't see how you can have any fun at all, ever, while having to carry the heavy load of worrying about how every other drone flyer is flying their craft. We all appreciate the sacrifice you are making. :rolleyes:

In general, I think following basic safety and common sense guidelines will prevent things from escalating. If you are flying in an area that you think might be an issue, one idea is to record a flight log and note any hazards and flight plans away from those potential hazards. Take a photo of the log and then IF it ever gets to the point, you can show proper attention, which I doubt anyone would pursue if you have this plan. Yes, it seems like a lot, but frankly, in the long run, it will serve the greater community well.

Reactions: stephen.houser1
Let me offer some advice as an attorney who has represented pilots charged with violations of various Federal Aviation Regulations, or FARs. Please don't make the investigator's case for him or her if/when you get a phone call. Admit NOTHING. In order to prove a violation, they have to prove that YOU are the person who committed the act that they allege is a violation. If you say, "Yes, I was flying a drone at XX location at XX time, but it wasn't over people and it was below 400'", you have just given away an element of the case that they might have been otherwise unable to prove absent that admission. My advice to pilots is always to LISTEN, not talk if the FAA is on the line.

Here's why. Because they aren't going to bother tracking down the experimental aircraft pilots and issue any warnings to them. The FAA could give a rat's *** if any experimental aircraft owner posts a video of his or her flight on youtube. They don't consider that a commercial operation.

But they're trying to use selective interpretation of their own regulations as a way to go after drone pilots and, for lack of a better word, keep them in line so as to make the general public think they're doing something about the scary drones.

But regs say what they say, so if they're going to decide that any amateur posting a video shot from a drone on youtube is a commercial operation of said drone, then they will be forced to also go after every pilot who ever posted footage shot while flying an experimental aircraft. But only if drone operators are smart enough to hold the FAA's feet to fire on it and flood every FSDO with 100's of complaints about experimental aircraft footage anytime someone in that office decides to go after a drone pilot for doing the same.

Like I said, they don't give a rats *** about the experimental guys posting on youtube. But if they know that we know they're playing footsie with their interpretation of the regs in order to back us into a corner, they'll be forced to put up or shut up.

Believe me when I tell you that no one at any FAA regional counsel office wants a bunch of drone operators going to the press and asking why the FAA is going after them for posting on youtube in violation of the regs while they routinely allow pilots of much larger and heavier aircraft to violate the very same regs even though they've received 100's of complaints about said experimental aircraft videos.

And since they lack the budget, man power and desire to go after every experimental aircraft pilot posting on youtube, they will then be forced to officially decide that if posting on youtube isn't a commercial operation for experimental aircraft pilots, it also isn't a commercial operation for drone pilots.

I hold a commercial pilot certificate and have made a living with it in the past. I'm also someone who very much wants to build, own and fly an experimental aircraft before I die. I do not want to see the FAA go after any of my own. Especially for a ******** reg like this. But I know the FAA and I know the regs. They are trying to apply the regs one way for us and another way for everyone else and if we do nothing, they will get away with it. We MUST force their hand on this. If we let them know that we as a community are savvy enough to know when they're trying to pull a fast one, they will stop trying to pull a fast one. And we can only do that if we flood their offices with complaints.
Here's why. Because they aren't going to bother tracking down the experimental aircraft pilots and issue any warnings to them. The FAA could give a rat's *** if any experimental aircraft owner posts a video of his or her flight on youtube. They don't consider that a commercial operation.

But they're trying to use selective interpretation of their own regulations as a way to go after drone pilots and, for lack of a better word, keep them in line so as to make the general public think they're doing something about the scary drones.

But regs say what they say, so if they're going to decide that any amateur posting a video shot from a drone on youtube is a commercial operation of said drone, then they will be forced to also go after every pilot who ever posted footage shot while flying an experimental aircraft. But only if drone operators are smart enough to hold the FAA's feet to fire on it and flood every FSDO with 100's of complaints about experimental aircraft footage anytime someone in that office decides to go after a drone pilot for doing the same.

Like I said, they don't give a rats *** about the experimental guys posting on youtube. But if they know that we know they're playing footsie with their interpretation of the regs in order to back us into a corner, they'll be forced to put up or shut up.

Believe me when I tell you that no one at any FAA regional counsel office wants a bunch of drone operators going to the press and asking why the FAA is going after them for posting on youtube in violation of the regs while they routinely allow pilots of much larger and heavier aircraft to violate the very same regs even though they've received 100's of complaints about said experimental aircraft videos.

And since they lack the budget, man power and desire to go after every experimental aircraft pilot posting on youtube, they will then be forced to officially decide that if posting on youtube isn't a commercial operation for experimental aircraft pilots, it also isn't a commercial operation for drone pilots.

I hold a commercial pilot certificate and have made a living with it in the past. I'm also someone who very much wants to build, own and fly an experimental aircraft before I die. I do not want to see the FAA go after any of my own. Especially for a ******** reg like this. But I know the FAA and I know the regs. They are trying to apply the regs one way for us and another way for everyone else and if we do nothing, they will get away with it. We MUST force their hand on this. If we let them know that we as a community are savvy enough to know when they're trying to pull a fast one, they will stop trying to pull a fast one. And we can only do that if we flood their offices with complaints.

Maybe I'm missing something here. I know the FAA posted regs for "model aircraft" to embrace the "drone proliferation", however, there was (is) a tiny problem. They have NOT been granted congressional authority to do so. I know it's in the works, but not yet settled. I think the first legal challange would take care of their bully approach.
I do not believe your call from the "FAA" was authentic. They send letters of warning. I've never heard of a personal call. Someone whom you know is yankin' your crank.

FAA inspectors DO make phone calls to gather information in investigations. A letter will certainly be sent when enforcement proceedings begin (formal charges are being brought) but initial investigations may be done by telephone. You should always ask the investigator's name, title, and which FAA district office he or she is with.

Let me offer some advice as an attorney who has represented pilots charged with violations of various Federal Aviation Regulations, or FARs. Please don't make the investigator's case for him or her if/when you get a phone call. Admit NOTHING. In order to prove a violation, they have to prove that YOU are the person who committed the act that they allege is a violation. If you say, "Yes, I was flying a drone at XX location at XX time, but it wasn't over people and it was below 400'", you have just given away an element of the case that they might have been otherwise unable to prove absent that admission. My advice to pilots is always to LISTEN, not talk if the FAA is on the line.
Good advice, worth following.

Reactions: FLRebel
Congress has already done their part by passing the FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012. Congress passes laws and the federal agencies propose rules to implement them. After a public comment period, the FAA finalizes the new rules then publishes an effective date.
So Steve, when do you suspect the new rules to go into effect. The comment period is now closed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Excellent advice!!!! Applies equally well for those facing investigations from the FAA and those facing investigations for any police agency. Innocent or not, say NOTHING anytime you are questioned in connection with a crime of any sort. Let your lawyer and only your lawyer do all the talking for you.

Long but work watching for all drone owners.

Reactions: Stevenas

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl