Got a call from the FAA today

and another thought......which arm of our lovely government will regulate RC boats and land vehicles? Those things are growing in size and sophistication, nothing should go without regulation and big brother SHOULD protect the general public.... of course. ;) Maybe it is time for a brand new government entity? The Department of Unmanned Vehicles and Robotics?

unfortunately they are leaving us no choice, huh?

Which is a shame. We can't share with others new to the hobby. The very thing our government was founded to do but is actually chipping away at our freedoms.

I have taken something away from all of this is that my future videos will be posted private.
Which brings up the thought...does the FAA monitor these forums?

naw, NSA monitors, collects data and feeds it to the FAA;)

I read this piece awhile back about government regulation. It is at least thought provoking. In the end, we all need some personal constraint, imho. Common sense would be good too, except we increasingly don't know how to define the term, "common."

P.S. If you hit a "paid subscription required" page, just paste the article title into google or bing and link from there.

A few days ago I posted video of the 4th of July fireworks in my community as shot from my P2V+.
Well today I get a call from my local FAA official warning me of possible federal violations from my posted flights. For example, flying over crowds, flying at night, flying for commercial purposes and flying out of visual line of sight of the aircraft.
I asked him how he discovered my "possible violations" and I got this reply in an e-mail:
"Steven,
As the UAS Focal Point for all of Arkansas I receive links, phone calls, letters, emails, etc daily regarding various UAS/Drone ops in the state. Your video was just one of many."

Do these people search You Tube or FB for this sort of thing or do you think the actually received a complaint?

Anyone else have a similar experience?
I almost flew at a function but asked first. They said a law was passed in Tennessee three days before about fireworks so I decided to play it safe.

I don't understand all the bashing of "Experimental" aircraft.
I don't believe anyone bashed experimental aircraft. I certainly didn't. I love experimentals and hope to build one someday.

So, what makes it "illegal" to take a video of my flight and post it on You Tube? Can anyone cite the law?
14 CFR 91.319(e)

(e) No person may operate an aircraft that is issued an experimental certificate under§ 21.191(i) of this chapter for compensation or hire, except a person may operate an aircraft issued an experimental certificate under § 21.191(i)(1) for compensation or hire to—
91.309; or
(2) Conduct flight training in an aircraft which that person provides prior to January 31, 2010.

I do have some pictures taken from the Bonanza while in flight. Are they "illegal" if I were to post them on Facebook?
Since you don't hold a commercial pilot certificate, yes apparently. The FAA has said that no one may use a UAV for commercial purposes without a waiver. The FAA has also been sending letters to drone owners who don't have said waiver and post their videos on youtube. The letters claim that the videos were shot for commercial purposes since youtube is able to make money from the content people post there, and therefore the drone operator was in violation.

If the FAA wants to decide that posting on youtube turns the flight featured in the video into a commercial operation when it comes to drones, then that definition has to apply to flights in all types of aircraft unless and until they structure the regs to specifically allow the operations for certain aircraft and not others.

If the FAA wants to decide that posting on youtube turns the flight featured in the video into a commercial operation when it comes to drones, then that definition has to apply to flights in all types of aircraft unless and until they structure the regs to specifically allow the operations for certain aircraft and not others.

Definitely true, unless they specify drones in an interpretation or guideline or whatever they want to call it.

The FAA also stated intent is important in determining if a flight is commercial. If you fly over a beautiful California resort and the resort later buys your video because you posted it on YouTube, that doesn't make it a commercial flight because your initial intent was not commercial.

If the FAA wants to say merely posting a video on YouTube constitutes a commercial flight, they're opening a bigger can of worms than they can handle, one which goes way beyond their jurisdiction. That the video is commercial can be challenged with the notion that any and all non-flight videos may be then classified as "commercial" and some of their posters subject to regulation as commercial operators.

Reactions: snerd
Maybe it is time for a brand new government
clint-nod.gif
:D.............................................
just kidding.jpg

Sorry ...had one of my moment's :)

Just finished reading a thread of he said she said, I'm right and your wrong or could it have been I know more about nothing then you.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
Just finished reading a thread of he said she said, I'm right and your wrong or could it have been I know more about nothing then you.
It's much more than a he said/she said debate if one were to read up on the actual FAA guidelines, regs, intent, etc. Europe has already set forth a cohesive, drone-friendly set of regulations. It's taking a lot longer here, as all of the lobbyists and big-money players get their input first. Plus, Congress members need the insider information first to know where to invest their money too. Our new rules should be out sometime late this year, though.

In Sept. the FAA will present those rules to Congress but it's up to Congress to make those rules law. So it's not over till the fat lady sings.

Reactions: snerd
In Sept. the FAA will present those rules to Congress but it's up to Congress to make those rules law. So it's not over till the fat lady sings.
I thought this was an FAA regulatory matter not a bill proposal. Regulations are rules and policies developed by Executive agencies and have the force of law but are not actual bills passed into law by Congress.

Congress has already done their part by passing the FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012. Congress passes laws and the federal agencies propose rules to implement them. After a public comment period, the FAA finalizes the new rules then publishes an effective date.

According to the FAA, most (all?) are from complaints. They are then required to follow up on these complaints. I can't see them actively looking for possible violations... especially when they are just going to send a warning letter anyway.

So I say that there is a _good_ possibility that someone reported your video to the FAA. Consider it a badge of honor. Someone liked your video so much that they thought the FAA should watch is as well. You may want to add a note to the video to this affect (piss the person off that reported it).

Social media is open to all....you knew that before you posted. Exhibitionism has its risks.

I won't have to worry about the FAA with my youtube videos making money, unless the Gong Show wants to use them to test out the GONG!

Steven,
This is Stephen in Atlanta. We are actively pursuing agencies here in Atlanta that are also trying to make up their own rules. I am a retired FAA Air Traffic Controller and well versed on internal workings and the law concerning drones.
Was this person's name Mike Minnix by any chance?
Did you get a name and office for this knucklehead? Can you email me that info?
sramsden at solarastronomy dot org

Reactions: Stevenas
You are exactly right, Johan.
These yahoos at the FAA FSDO are actively browsing Facebook and youtube for drone videos. Then they are going to people's workplaces and homes and trying to intimidate them about using their own personal camera equipment on their own property.

Steven,
This is Stephen in Atlanta. We are actively pursuing agencies here in Atlanta that are also trying to make up their own rules. I am a retired FAA Air Traffic Controller and well versed on internal workings and the law concerning drones.
Was this person's name Mike Minnix by any chance?
Did you get a name and office for this knucklehead? Can you email me that info?
sramsden at solarastronomy dot org

Go to the second page of this thread, 9th post down.

Please elaborate as to your concern over the individual.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31