Gopro wifi backpack w 3d gimbal

Reaction score
Has anybody tried using the gopro wifi backpack with the 3d gimbal? I assume longer screws are required for the gopro mounting bracket.

You should never use Wifi on a 2.4hgz Phantom! The Phantom 2 (Non Vision) operates on the same frequency as the Wifi on a Gopro. The 2 can interfere!

The 3D gimbal is only made to work with the Hero 3 and 3+, both of these have the wifi built in and don't use the backpack. If you are trying to use a Hero 2 with the 3D gimbal it won't work with the backpack, you'll burn the gimbal out.

Xrover said:
You should never use Wifi on a 2.4hgz Phantom! The Phantom 2 (Non Vision) operates on the same frequency as the Wifi on a Gopro. The 2 can interfere!

I've used the wifi on mine a number of times and have never had any problems, I think this concern is unfounded.

I guess you have been lucky so far! Most will advise against taking that chance.

madsonp said:
I've used the wifi on mine a number of times and have never had any problems, I think this concern is unfounded.

Me too. No issue.

IF this was true, then heaven help all the other 2.4ghz transmitter users that use their gopros on planes, cars other multi-rotors. Really need to educate yourself on how the spread spectrum and freq hopping works with rc controllers.

My gopro wifi works with the gopro app but the range is about 30 ft. I was hoping to uses the wifi backpack to extend that range.

That's great news guys! Please create a new tooic re: your debunked myth that using the GoPro wifi on the 2.4ghz is not a problem. I'm interested in more user experiences doing it.

Thx

madsonp said:
Xrover said:

Don't chance it. It happened to me once and I freaked out when I lost contact after about 100 yards. Flipped it over to ATTI mode and regained control. Never did that again.

It's just not worth the chance imo

Cr8tive_leo said:
madsonp said:

Me too. No issue.

IF this was true, then heaven help all the other 2.4ghz transmitter users that use their gopros on planes, cars other multi-rotors. Really need to educate yourself on how the spread spectrum and freq hopping works with rc controllers.
madsonp said:

The fact that it works at all is a testament to the abilities of the FASST system, but you're flirting with a known cause for fly aways. There are at least a half-dozen examples in this forum alone in the past 6 months. You're pushing it right to the limit.

And if you want to know why the concern is valid: There is no cooperative capability between Wi-Fi and FASST. Even with the GoPro on one of the outer channels, there will be plenty of signal power beyond the center frequency that effectively stomp on the TX transmission across it's entire frequency range. Spread spectrum frequency hopping is useless if there is noise across the entire band.

If the GoPro was 20ft away from the RX, it wouldn't be a problem as the off-center attenuation would be fast enough to limit the impact. But with it right on top of the RX, there is very little fall off and the noise spreads right across the entire frequency range.

So, your days are numbered. Fly just that little further out, shoot with a slight amount of extra ambient noise, record a less compressible subject, you're GoPro decides to change Wi-Fi channels, boom... fly away.

sure you can fly with the gopro's wifi on and you might retain control of your Phantom... until the moment that you get JUST far enough away that the gopro's signal overpowers the signal from your RC... and then what? now you have no control and no way of getting it back.

There's a reason that the biggest, reddest font on many sales pages and it's plastered all over the documentation and boxes DO NOT use the GoPro's wifi when running a P2 non-Vision.

If you choose to ignore all those warnings and instructions that's your prerogative, just don't come around here bitching when you lose your Phantom you'll get very little sympathy :)

Ignoring the wifi issue (which I agree with about never using it), you can't use the bakpack with any of the H3 gimbals. It will push the CoG of the camera too far forward and so will no longer be balanced. This will burn out your gimbal motors in seconds.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl