Good read

I've never seem any proof from the news organizations who run these stories. Just sayin!! More regulation will not stop the asshats who want the quick buck for the shot. Gotta catch a few of 'em and run that news story.

Don't discount many of these sightings may be drones being launched by threatened homeowners wanting to get a fix on where the fire is burning around them. Their motivation may be totally different than some assume. Doesn't make them right, but fear is a powerful force.

-- zigs

I always feel like a pilot on his first solo flight each time I launch the AC, a bit nervous. I know there are low flying aircraft around, Cessna's, Bonanza's, Cirrus. They are fast and I'm concerned I may be caught in one's flight path. The Phantom will bring down an aircraft quickly, much worse than a bird strike so I try to have a spotter with me, nonetheless, I'm still responsible for the AC and where it ends up. I think flying around incidents and/or first responders is a bit reckless and irresponsible. I know a few first responders and I'm sure they wouldn't want to be buzzed by Drones while working.

The Phantom will bring down an aircraft quickly, much worse than a bird strike so I try to have a spotter with me, nonetheless

I doubt you ever took physics! A 20-lb. Canadian goose is gonna be WAYYY worse impacting an aircraft than a 2-lb. plastic Phantom.

I know there are low flying aircraft around, Cessna's, Bonanza's, Cirrus.
You know there are aircraft around? If you are seeing low flying aircraft, I suggest you find another place to fly. I never fly when I know there are low flying aircraft, like near airports, common sense. I never see low flying aircraft where I fly, and I live in So. Calif with a half dozen airports in the area, and I'm never that concerned, because I select safe flights environments. Generally speaking most small aircraft fly nowhere close to 500' AGL unless they are taking off or landing. I'm not saying that can't happen, it's just very rare in most places (except farms, crop dusting). This has happen to me once in 2yrs, and there was no problem when I heard a helicopter fly into my flight valley and land in the hills on a training exercise (I think). Even at the beach where the odds are greater for low flying aircraft over the water, I rarely see a plane or ultralight lower than 300'. That's likely because if they have a problem they have little distance to glide to safety. If I see or hear a craft entering my airspace, I immediately descend to 100', but usually I'm that low anyway. At 100' you shouldn't have an issue if you're using common sense about where you fly.

Nobody takes this subject more seriously than I do, but after 2yrs I have grown to realize there's little risk for ME to have a conflict with manned flight. The risk is extremely low IMO when someone is using common sense. However, there are those out there that may not have the common sense to do the right thing, hence we have DJI breathing down our back playing big brother at every chance.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94