Going to get a new drone

Reaction score
So I've been lingering on this forum for a while now, after first buying a phantom 2. After so many flyaway concerns, I finally sold it because I never used it. 4 months ago I bought a DJI phantom 3 professional, thinking it would give me piece of mind. Nope. Never flew it more than 10 times because I was, and still am, deathly afraid of flyaway. I will be selling it tomorrow. So, my question is, is there a drone that will not fly away? I can't justify putting $1k in the air and leave it to its own decision on whether or not to go away. Any companies out there make a reliable system, or am I just being paranoid or maybe the technology just isn't there yet. Thanks for reading all that lol needing to vent it out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using PhantomPilots mobile app

So, my question is, is there a drone that will not fly away?
Most Phantoms don't just randomly fly away. Other than the recent issue in the Android version of DJI GO 3.1.2, nearly all of the other fly aways discussed here were caused by some type of user error.

Reactions: Tigerbait
Most Phantoms don't just randomly fly away. Other than the recent issue in the Android version of DJI GO 3.1.2, nearly all of the other fly aways discussed here were caused by some type of user error.
Yeah I understand that, and I know I'm just overly concerned. I just can't justify putting that much in the air and having it possibly hurt someone even. To be honest, if Dji had better customer service and at least admitted instead of always saying user error, it would be 10x better for me. I'll most likely end up getting a p3s, bc if that flies away it half the cost.

To be honest, if Dji had better customer service and at least admitted instead of always saying user error
It really is mostly user error. Search "fly away" here and review the threads in the search results.

It really is mostly user error. Search "fly away" here and review the threads in the search results.
Your right, it is mostly user error. Even then that 1 percent chance something MIGHT possibly happen just makes me nervous. But, I can't say to much, because personally I have never had a flyaway. I don't know honestly. I wish I could just remove the GPS and all that stuff and just fly it. I love my little 200qx, and I'm never short of confidence flying it.

So I've been lingering on this forum for a while now, after first buying a phantom 2. After so many flyaway concerns, I finally sold it because I never used it. 4 months ago I bought a DJI phantom 3 professional, thinking it would give me piece of mind. Nope. Never flew it more than 10 times because I was, and still am, deathly afraid of flyaway. I will be selling it tomorrow. So, my question is, is there a drone that will not fly away? I can't justify putting $1k in the air and leave it to its own decision on whether or not to go away. Any companies out there make a reliable system, or am I just being paranoid or maybe the technology just isn't there yet. Thanks for reading all that lol needing to vent it out.
So you didn't fly and are scared because you imagine bad things might happen?
You have a very distorted idea of what Phantoms do in the air.
It's as if you only ever read accounts from hopeless flyers that lost their Phantoms and not understanding why, told everyone that it just flew away.
That's a very long way from the true picture.
Since the P3 series, Phantoms have had a flight data recorder in the app so that even if the Phantom is lost, the flight data can be investigated to determine the cause of most incidents.
As a result it's become evident that most lost Phantoms are the result of user error and true flyaways are extremely rare.

You seem to be overly fixated on imaginary what if scenarios without a proper balance of reality.
Here's something to read that might hepl put things in perspective:
Fear of Flying 2016 - The Last Word on Drone Flyaways! - Droneflyers.com
Any companies out there make a reliable system, or am I just being paranoid or maybe the technology just isn't there yet.
No company has technology even close to DJI. The rest are two generations behind.
But even DJI's technology doesn't prevent all user error.
Since DJI own more than 70% of the ready-to-fly drone market, they have more than 70% of users that don't read the manual, more than 70% of incidents etc.
To be honest, if Dji had better customer service and at least admitted instead of always saying user error, it would be 10x better for me.
Is your idea of DJI's service based on personal experience or did you get it from the same place you got the idea your Phantom would fly away?
Most users never need DJI service but one the time I did, they were very good and fast.
I'll most likely end up getting a p3s, bc if that flies away it half the cost.
Really, you'd be better off getting something else. The Standard is just a slightly newer P2 using the same old wifi technology.
Anything from the P3 Advanced upwards is way beyond that level of technology and will give you a lot less difficulty.

Reactions: Bckmstr
Does that "1 percent chance that something might possibly happen" keep you from getting in the car because you might get into an accident? There's risk in doing everything. These drones are pretty close to failssfe if you fly them right. I have a p2, p3p, mavic, and yuneec, along with more "amazon 100 dollar specials" than I can count and never had an issue with fly away. Even when I've pushed the limits of distance and height.

You can turn off gps in the p3, it's called atti mode.

So you didn't fly and are scared because you imagine bad things might happen?
You have a very distorted idea of what Phantoms do in the air.
It's as if you only ever read accounts from hopeless flyers that lost their Phantoms and not understanding why, told everyone that it just flew away.
That's a very long way from the true picture.
Since the P3 series, Phantoms have had a flight data recorder in the app so that even if the Phantom is lost, the flight data can be investigated to determine the cause of most incidents.
As a result it's become evident that most lost Phantoms are the result of user error and true flyaways are extremely rare.

You seem to be overly fixated on imaginary what if scenarios without a proper balance of reality.
Here's something to read that might hepl put things in perspective:
Fear of Flying 2016 - The Last Word on Drone Flyaways! - Droneflyers.com

No company has technology even close to DJI. The rest are two generations behind.
But even DJI's technology doesn't prevent all user error.
Since DJI own more than 70% of the ready-to-fly drone market, they have more than 70% of users that don't read the manual, more than 70% of incidents etc.

Is your idea of DJI's service based on personal experience or did you get it from the same place you got the idea your Phantom would fly away?
Most users never need DJI service but one the time I did, they were very good and fast.

Really, you'd be better off getting something else. The Standard is just a slightly newer P2 using the same old wifi technology.
Anything from the P3 Advanced upwards is way beyond that level of technology and will give you a lot less difficulty.
I really appreciate your post there, and read through that link. Your right, it's not really a problem of hardware as much as it is knowledge. I still don't think i see myself purchasing one any time soon, because personally I don't think i have enough motivation for photography from it. I think just whipping a racing quad around my house is my kind of thing. But you said you don't really recommend the p3s? If I could get one for like 250 would it be worth it?

If you can trust an old bike with your life, I don't see the problem with Phantom.

Trust your bird and focus on your shot = pure zen

look at it another way.
You've spent the money & it's gone anyway. Get out there and flog the Phantom to death. If the thing flies away just shrug the shoulders because at least you will have had some fun with the craft.
By the way, a few people post problems to draw attention to issues and to forewarn other users. The other users just enjoy the experience & fly with no issues.

Reactions: Clipper707
Garrett, I was rereading back over this thread, and thought I might add this: I have a P3A and according to Healthy Drones have well over a hundred flights, as they have deleted many of my older ones, as 100 is the free limit. I live in a heavily populated residential area in the city limits. Read: lots of interference. I am careful and I have never had a hint of a problem. Just remember the old saying, "If something does not look right, it probably is NOT right."

The chances of something bad happening is slim for a grownup. And a surprising number of the birds which do not land in the OCEAN find a nice roost and land and wait for their owners. You always have a contingency plan.

Good Luck (but boats ARE more fun)

Reactions: Sky Wombat

Don't sell it you bought it put some trust in your machine I was the same way when I got my p3s I was scared to fly it past 300 ft but I put trust in my machine and the app and I reach 1600 with out a worry in mind

Sent from my SM-T230NU using PhantomPilots mobile app

Don't sell it you bought it put some trust in your machine I was the same way when I got my p3s I was scared to fly it past 300 ft but I put trust in my machine and the app and I reach 1600 with out a worry in mind

Sent from my SM-T230NU using PhantomPilots mobile app
Well im not loosing any money whatsoever by selling it. Bought for 650, selling for 650. I think I've come to the conclusion that, although I love drones and cameras, I don't have a drive strong enough to fly it with it, because although I take photos with it, I don't make a living of it, and I've got drones twice as fast and nimble as it, and really the only thing I really like is the video range and camera.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT