Futaba T8J

Reaction score
So when I was looking to purchase my first gimbal (servo based Quadframe model, it was just so-so), nobody knew about the hidden pot on the back of the Phantom Tx, and I knew that I had to have the ability to tilt my gimbal down while in flight.
so I went with what most guys were going with - the Futaba T8J, and I gotta say, now that I'm hooked on this hobby, it's by far one of my favorite purchases.

But it was only until I got my new brushless gimbal that I've discovered all the possibilities with it, I've practically run out of switches to use!
I''ve found some neat tricks to do with it now that I've been exploring the features.

If you're as hooked on this hobby as I am,. I highly recommend this Tx.

If you've got any questions on this radio give a shout.
I'll be posting some of my tips here as well.

I know I've posted this tip before,. but figured I'd add it to the thread.
if you've got a servo based gimbal this works like a charm.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rS8_y8Px1kw[/youtube]

I had mixed results using it with my brushless gimbal (Arris), but I'm working on some other techniques to pull it off

I'll just add that if you're thinking of getting one, there are two models - Airplane and Helicopter
while they are nearly identical, there are a few slight differences.

-the Airplane one has a ratcheted throttle (it clicks a little as you move it). the Heli has a smooth throttle, but it comes with an extra part so that you can easily open it up and make it ratcheted (I believe the Airplane one one might have the smooth-throttle parts,. has anyone bought that one?).

- the E & G switches (on the top) are slightly different as well - on the Heli the E is a 3-way and the G is a 2 way, and I believe they are switched on the Airplane model (again, can someone confirm?).
I naturally prefer the heli config, because i like having the 3 way switch on the left for the IOC modes, just like the Phantom Tx.

aside from that, the two models are identical

I've not looked everywhere, but it seems that the Futaba is the Tx commonly selected to replace the Phantom Tx. Any particular reason? I would think any 8 channel Tx would do the job.

I've not looked everywhere, but it seems that the Futaba is the Tx commonly selected to replace the Phantom Tx. Any particular reason? I would think any 8 channel Tx would do the job.

Because they are awesome baby ! :D

Gizmo3000 is correct, there are 2 versions, and the airplane version is the BEST. (just kidding) that's the one I have.

Several reasons for the Futaba T8J, first is they are available everywhere, they are very reasonably priced, outstanding reliability, the receiver is small, but has 2 antennas for awesome coverage.
The transmitter has a 20 model memory, 2 programmable timers, all switches are programmable, the list could go on forever.

You will find that most Youtube videos show the Heli version being programmed. That caused me some confusion at first, because like Gizmo3000 said, some of the switches are different. (and that's why real men get the airplane version) :D

So do you prefer to fly with the ratcheted throttle?
(did it come with the parts to convert to the smooth throttle?)

I actually switched to the ratcheted one so that I can tell if I'm moving it while FPV'ing.
tho I think I need to adjust the trim a bit,. as it seems like my Phantom only wants to go up or down without holding at a precise altitude.

So do you prefer to fly with the ratcheted throttle?
(did it come with the parts to convert to the smooth throttle?)

I actually switched to the ratcheted one so that I can tell if I'm moving it while FPV'ing.
tho I think I need to adjust the trim a bit,. as it seems like my Phantom only wants to go up or down without holding at a precise altitude.

When I got the radio, I immediately disassembled it, and loosened the ratcheting mechanism a lot, because it felt so different
from anything I've used before. But now I'm planning to tighten it up a bit, so it will be easier to tell if I move it during rotating moves.
No, It did not come with parts to make it smooth, you just remove the ratcheting mechanism.

I have to keep making micro adjustments up or down too. I didn't have to micro manage so much when it weighed more, but
I took the gimbal, and camera off, because one of the servos needs replacement. Actually I may jump onto the brushless
gimbal bandwagon.
But anyway, I left the 9" props on, and haven't changed the gain settings, so while the controls are tight, it does wander.

Audaciter said:

Because they are awesome baby ! :D

Gizmo3000 is correct, there are 2 versions, and the airplane version is the BEST. (just kidding) that's the one I have.

Several reasons for the Futaba T8J, first is they are available everywhere, they are very reasonably priced, outstanding reliability, the receiver is small, but has 2 antennas for awesome coverage.
The transmitter has a 20 model memory, 2 programmable timers, all switches are programmable, the list could go on forever.

You will find that most Youtube videos show the Heli version being programmed. That caused me some confusion at first, because like Gizmo3000 said, some of the switches are different. (and that's why real men get the airplane version) :D

I understand that it's a popular radio. The reason I was asking is that all of my helis and planes are on my JR 9303 2.4 and it seems like it would work on the Phantom as well. But more generally, I would think any 8 channel Tx would do the job. It just seemed odd that wherever I looked it was always not just a Futaba, but that particular model!

I understand that it's a popular radio. The reason I was asking is that all of my helis and planes are on my JR 9303 2.4 and it seems like it would work on the Phantom as well. But more generally, I would think any 8 channel Tx would do the job. It just seemed odd that wherever I looked it was always not just a Futaba, but that particular model!

For me, I wasn't looking for a specific model, but I knew I wanted either Spektrum, or Futaba, and 8 channels. I live close to
Heli-World, and they recommended the T8J. The price was good, so I bought it.

I only flew the Phantom twice with the stock transmitter, not that there is anything wrong with it, but it just seemed like a toy.

Ots said:

I admittedly just went with the T8J because that seemed to be what most of the other people were going with, there were video tutorials online showing how to set it up (otherwise these things are dang overwhelming at first!), and I knew Futaba was a name brand and that this was the cheapest 8 channel they made - plus it had the S-bus so it would plug straight into the NAZA with a single cable.
I've heard some people like the Spektrum's DX8 tho,. but unsure what other makes and models are out there.

T8J Failsafe

With firmware update 3.12, it's now possible to have failsafe occupy the 3rd position of the GPS/ATTI switch.

but if you want to use that 3rd position for manual mode, and still want to fly with a failsafe switch,
check out my tutorial, which doesn't take over chan8 (which I use for Roll with my gimbal)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smN776CAnRc[/youtube]

Futaba T8J with Gimbal Roll

for those looking to add roll to their gimbals using the T8J

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GhdegeAPe0[/youtube]

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl