Futaba 8J + R2008SB Install & Configuration Guide

Great install information!

Just one thing you could change..
-there is no need for channel mixing to set up a failsafe-switch D
you can set up a failsafe switch using just AV1, without tying up AV2 (which can then be used for other stuff)

It's pretty easy to set up, as seen in my video
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smN776CAnRc[/youtube]

havasuphoto said:
Here's a video I used to set Dual Rate to one of my switches

Excellent.... I was looking into doing this. Thanks for the info :)

Gizmo3000 said:
-there is no need for channel mixing to set up a failsafe-switch D
you can set up a failsafe switch using just AV1, without tying up AV2

Thanks for that Gizmo. I'll rejig the instructions to reflect this.

Does anyone have a video on how to adjust the sensitivity of the VR knob??
That controls the tilt of my Zen....and, I've been looking around, but haven't found the menu yet, needed to set that sensitivity.

You and me both. The sensitivity in the Assistant software does nothing, so it would be good to work out how to do it through the handset maybe?

goldfishrock said:
You and me both. The sensitivity in the Assistant software does nothing, so it would be good to work out how to do it through the handset maybe?
I've been told, via the internet, that the adjustments for the Gimbal in Naza only apply to third party Gimbals, and that no adjustment we make in there will have any effect.

I know from experience that when I turned the Gimbal to "off", to use my X1(VR knob), to adjust my gains, the gimbal still tilted.

I also have seen a page/screenshot of that X1/VR knob channel(#5???), that shows a percentage on it-so I'm assuming that percentage could be changed?
But, I don't have the aircraft here with me now, or the remote-so I won't be able to page through everything until Monday.

Hopefully someone chimes in sooner than that ;)

None of the settings for the gimbal seem to do anything. The only thing you can do in the software is calibrate X1. There are some tricks for the gimbal using the Futaba though. I have yet to implement them but there's one using a program mix where you can assign a virtual channel and slow it down that way. There's another that let's you use a switch to smoothly move the gimbal between preset positions. I haven't tried either yet but really need too!

ianwood said:
None of the settings for the gimbal seem to do anything. The only thing you can do in the software is calibrate X1. There are some tricks for the gimbal using the Futaba though. I have yet to implement them but there's one using a program mix where you can assign a virtual channel and slow it down that way. There's another that let's you use a switch to smoothly move the gimbal between preset positions. I haven't tried either yet but really need too!
And how do we do these "tricks"??

goldfishrock said:
UPDATE: 13/02/14
The R2008SB Rx has short antennae so I purchased some 400mm extensions that Futaba make (Part Number: RA2-4G/400). Replacing the original ones is easy and once replaced you can position the antennae is better positions (I have placed one down a leg and the other horizontally across the bottom of the opposite leg. I did move my CanBus connector to make life easier)

Maybe a silly question since I assume you would have done it... the stock antennas are not compatible with the new, or upgraded receivers I gather?

Do the antennas you reference here from Futaba come with instructions?

It's the little things that slag me up as well as the big ones.

Hiway said:
Maybe a silly question since I assume you would have done it... the stock antennas are not compatible with the new, or upgraded receivers I gather?

The stock antennae would fit the new receiver however the placement of the new receiver would mean that the same problem would be experienced.... not enough length to get them back outside the P2. The stock receiver sits to one side of the mainboard, between two legs allowing the antennae to be placed along each. When you install a new receiver you'll find that because it's placed lengthways in the P2 is causes problems.

Hiway said:
Do the antennas you reference here from Futaba come with instructions?

There aren't instructions but it's very easy to do. Just unclip the top of the receiver, remove the little board carefull (it's only pushed in), unclip the old antennae... they are held with a little 'cup' clip than just (gently) pulls free, and clip the new ones on. There are a couple of small rubber grommits to remove from the antennae that come with the receiver and put on the new ones, then pop it back in it's housing, clip the top on and away you go.

Thank you goldfishrock... antennas are on order, and a spanky new r6208sb is setting here waiting on them. Futaba spring for the throttle centering is on it's way also.

I am feeling rather foolish- I am suddenly finding out in the last 24 hours I have made mountains out of mole hills... the beauty of the Futaba radios, the FASST receiver that comes stock in the Phantom, and the upgraded receiver are only mystifying if, like me, a person has little or no experience with advanced radio tech, and they like to make things more complicated than they need to be.

The Naza assistant software actually does most of the work... all parameters and such after the basics are tweaks based on the individual radio capabilities and gui structure... but they are all the same beast at the beginning.

I actually found a crapload of videos that detail setting up a futaba with the Naza... and once I understood that I was not trying to search for "Phantom and Futaba" but "Naza and Futaba" setups... things became much more clear.

I am not ready to fly by any stretch of the term... nor is my 10CAG programmed... but I have a far better idea, and way more confidence in what to do once all my parts are here and ready.

Hiway said:
but I have a far better idea, and way more confidence in what to do once all my parts are here and ready.

Glad to hear that. I remember how overwhelming it can all be and I felt the same when I first got my 8J and was trying to figure it all out.

You may want to just pop the back of the transmitter prior to the spring set arriving as I found on the 8J that once you remove the ratchet holding the throttle (which you will have to do anyway), that it became self centering without the spring return kit. Worth a look anyway :)

Some quick clarification please?

In the first post, and in the first 2 pictures where you are highlighting the 2 connectors pulled from the stock transmitter, the first picture shows the "S Bus" connector, and the second picture shows the "Zenmuse" connector? Which is not needed as that is controlled by the s bus? Did I get that right? I ask because while I do not use a zenmuse, I do have 2 connectors on my stock Tx and want to be sure when I move them over I do it right. I see that 2nd going to "5"

Please clarify this initial step and what that 2nd connector are for if you can (both with and without the zenmuse as a gimbal option)

Yes you're correct. The second connector (for the Zenmuse) isn't needed. Even though you aren't using a Zenmuse, the cable will of course still be connected at the moment. When you switch over the transmitter you can remove that cable all together because it's actually controlled by channel 5 on the SBus as you said.

Hope this helps?

Hi Goldfish rock,
Thanks for your wonderful post on the T8j configuration,I have been at this for a little over a year now with 550 & Phantom1.
Installed all the goodies on both with the "how to" posts & video's with out a glitch.Which brings me to my first post :) .I removed the T8j RX from my Phantom1 and installed to the Phantom2.The configuration was just about the same as you posted from my Phantom1,I copied made adjustments.Also installed datalink,IOSD,& HD3-3D.,When connect to the computer and the Phantom2 does not see the controller I get an "ERROR 29".
Data link can see the Phantom2,the gimbal works,and when I switch from GPS/ATT Data link picks it up and so does the OISD,through goggles.I tried to bind the original controller back to start over but it fail to bind every time.Please Help Anyone :idea: :idea: :?:

Thanks Tim

OK Forget about the last post I figured it out,It ask me to press ok and restart the controller (the window was behind the NAZA assistant window) and I did not see it until I closed out of everything today.
However It wants to flip on take off!I did not move the controller inside the unit,the cover is on (strips line up correctly) and there is only one way to install the props.It flew fine before all the installs.ANY SUGGESTIONS FROM ANY BODY?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl