Frustrated, tired and concerned.

You did it all right! You can fly as a hobbyist. I have a part 107 registration and a remote Pilot certificate, because I fly drones professionally. That is really hard to get those things let me tell you. If you just want to fly as a hobbyist then stick with what you have already done.

-November Echo Yankee

I read the entire manual 3 times. I found it to be useless. Well, I guess I could start the grill with it this weekend.

The manual has nothing about how to activate the drone or getting everything communicating.

I plan on taking it slow and learning 1 step at a time. Sadly its been a windy week, but the weather should stabalize on Friday.
Hello, not sure where you live. But I'm sure there might be another person who can help you in your area. That's what I do I look for people to teach them the ins and outs. GOOD LUCK.

There is a sucker born every minute.

That's not an FAA web site.

Name calling is so immature!

If you go to Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Frequently Asked Questions

You can see that there are TWO options for flying (legally) for recreation or as a hobby. Both options REQUIRE the pilot to register their UAS with the FAA!
  1. Do I need permission from the FAA to fly a UAS for recreation or as a hobby?
    There are two ways for recreational or hobby UAS fliers to operate in the National Airspace System in accordance with the law and/or FAA regulations. Each of the two options has specific requirements that the UAS operator must follow. The decision as to which option to follow is up to the individual operator.

Option #1. Fly in accordance with the Special Rule for Model Aircraft (Public Law 112-95 Section 336). Under this rule, operators must:
    1. Register their UAS with the FAA
    2. Fly for hobby or recreational purposes only
    3. Follow a community-based set of safety guidelines
    4. Fly the UAS within visual line-of-sight
    5. Give way to manned aircraft
    6. Provide prior notification to the airport and air traffic control tower, if one is present, when flying within 5 miles of an airport
    7. Fly UAS that weigh no more than 55 lbs. unless certified by a community-based organization
    Option #2. Fly under the FAA's Small UAS Rule (14 CFR part 107). Under this rule, operators must:
    1. Register their UAS with the FAA as a "non-modeler"
    2. Obtain an FAA Remote Pilot Certificate
    3. Follow the operational requirements (PDF) of Part 107

What's that, like, the fourth or fifth op this week who got fooled by those phoney drone registration sites?

Nope!

According to Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Frequently Asked Questions/

There are TWO options for one to fly their drone for recreation or as a hobby and both options require the pilot to register their UAS (to fly legally that is).
Read for yourself

There are two ways for recreational or hobby UAS fliers to operate in the National Airspace System in accordance with the law and/or FAA regulations. Each of the two options has specific requirements that the UAS operator must follow. The decision as to which option to follow is up to the individual operator.

Option #1. Fly in accordance with the Special Rule for Model Aircraft (Public Law 112-95 Section 336). Under this rule, operators must:
    6. Provide prior notification to the airport and air traffic control tower, if one is present, when flying within 5 miles of an airport
    7. Fly UAS that weigh no more than 55 lbs. unless certified by a community-based organization
    Option #2. Fly under the FAA's Small UAS Rule (14 CFR part 107). Under this rule, operators must:

You should only register EACH drone if you're flying commercially under FAA Part 107.

Also, the registration is only $5 if you register here on the official FAA website.
You should only register EACH drone if you're flying commercially under FAA Part 107.

Also, the registration is only $5 if you register here on the official FAA website.

Although I offered a "non-faa" link for information,

According to Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Frequently Asked Questions/

There are TWO options for one to fly their drone for recreation or as a hobby and both options require the pilot to register their UAS (to fly legally that is).
Read for yourself

Read for yourself
To fly legally as a hobbyist (Option #1), you should register yourself here and attach the same registration number to all of your drones. There is no need to register each drone individually.

Reactions: Oso
To fly legally as a hobbyist (Option #1), you should register yourself here and attach the same registration number to all of your drones. There is no need to register each drone individually.

I have confirmed by calling the FAA that you are correct. A hobbyist is registering themselves and use the same number on each drone. So, I stand corrected. The FAA representative agrees that the wording should be modified for better clarification.

The FAA representative agrees that the wording should be modified for better clarification.
There's lots of other wording the FAA could fix on their website too. It's obviously not one of their priorities.

Reactions: GFields and Wilbur

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT