Frustrated, tired and concerned.

Reaction score
I have my P4P. It arrived Monday. Long story really short... I spent 3 hours on day one just trying to activate it. Day two I spent 20 minutes trying, then I spent an hour searching for answers. Finally I went to DJI tech support and 2 hours later is was able to finally link everything up. DJI tech was actually really patient with me and got me up and running. That will be another post....

So tonight I go to register the P4P with the FAA. Wow, lots of text with a lot of obscure language. Paid my $5 for a 336 recreational permit. Now I have a number, but it did not ask me for any serial number. It appears my FAA assigned number is good for every aircraft I own?

I'm really excited to get into the air and begin this hobby, however I feel I've had to kick, scratch, and fight my way into it. I'm still not even sure I've done it correctly.

Frustrated, tired, but still ready to fly. Tons of money invested (ha, I know I've only scratched the surface) and answers are still ever so vague and ambiguous.

(If posted in the wrong place please forgive this noob)

Reactions: Jim Canada
Sounds like quite an adventure FL-Mike......welcome to the PhantomPilots Forum.

If you haven’t done so already, download the manual for your bird and read through it....at least twice. Not talking about the quick-start guide you got with your Phantom. The quick start guide is very limited on information you need to know.

Also, check out msinger’s site ‘phantomhelp.com’. It is loaded with everything Phantom. Be sure to select the correct section for your model bird. The manual is available there also for free download.

Good luck on your first flight. Take is slow and easy......in beginner mode to start. A preflight ‘checklist’ is crucial to be sure you are ready to fly. Blue Skies and Calm Winds [emoji106]

Paid my $5 for a 336 recreational permit. Now I have a number, but it did not ask me for any serial number. It appears my FAA assigned number is good for every aircraft I own?
That's correct. You only registered yourself with the FAA. You should attach the same FAA registration number to all of your drones (since you're only flying as a hobbyist).

Sounds like quite an adventure FL-Mike......welcome to the PhantomPilots Forum.

If you haven’t done so already, download the manual for your bird and read through it....at least twice. Not talking about the quick-start guide you got with your Phantom. The quick start guide is very limited on information you need to know.

Also, check out msinger’s site ‘phantomhelp.com’. It is loaded with everything Phantom. Be sure to select the correct section for your model bird. The manual is available there also for free download.

Good luck on your first flight. Take is slow and easy......in beginner mode to start. A preflight ‘checklist’ is crucial to be sure you are ready to fly. Blue Skies and Calm Winds [emoji106]

I read the entire manual 3 times. I found it to be useless. Well, I guess I could start the grill with it this weekend.

The manual has nothing about how to activate the drone or getting everything communicating.

I plan on taking it slow and learning 1 step at a time. Sadly its been a windy week, but the weather should stabalize on Friday.

That's correct. You only registered yourself with the FAA. You should attach the same FAA registration number to all of your drones (since you're only flying as a hobbyist).

Thank you. I've found the FAA to be as clear as mud on far too much.

I've found the FAA to be as clear as mud on far too much.
Me too. It's very unfortunate when considering their mission is to promote safety :(

Hey Mike, I hear ya. Went through all the similar frustrations with updating and preparing my phantom and spark for first flight. (no faa, live in Canada). However, all the frustration melts away when you capture the sheer pleasure of piloting a great aircraft. Have fun man.

Hey Mike, I hear ya. Went through all the similar frustrations with updating and preparing my phantom and spark for first flight. (no faa, live in Canada). However, all the frustration melts away when you capture the sheer pleasure of piloting a great aircraft. Have fun man.

Thank you. Winds finally come down tomorrow so I can get that first flight in. While frustrating, the weather forced me to have more time to read and study. I think I'm prepared and have a good wide open field with no obstructions picked out.

I'm sure I'll have a much more positive post this weekend.

I registered all of my drones with the FAA at [email protected] and yes they do ask for your aircrafts serial # and it is $5.00 for each drone you own
The aircraft information is only required if you register to fly under Part 107.

Reactions: AndrewCCM
Good luck in the sky’s...check every(rth height, compass) before taking it way out there[emoji41]

I read the entire manual 3 times. I found it to be useless. Well, I guess I could start the grill with it this weekend.

The manual has nothing about how to activate the drone or getting everything communicating.

I plan on taking it slow and learning 1 step at a time. Sadly its been a windy week, but the weather should stabalize on Friday.

So, you said you read through the manual 3 times, and found it useless? The 67 page P4P manual?......................useless.? Ok.

So, you said you read through the manual 3 times, and found it useless? The 67 page P4P manual?......................useless.? Ok.

When it comes to turning it on for the firat time and activating it... yes it is completely useless. There was nothing about this procedure in the manual.

Otherwise I found the manual vague and less than informative. Is there information? Sure. The manual lead me to a lot of questions that I found answers to outside of the DJI official demos and manuals.

So overall I give this 67 page manual a rating of useless. For the price it should have been far more informative.

Mike I feel your pain. I got my phantom for Christmas. It’s a learning curve this is a complicated machine. All I can say is I got seven flights under my belt. Every time I fly and I am so amazed by this machine. I
studied for three months on How to fly it properly. And I’m still learning but it is definitely worth it in the long run. Hang in there it gets better. And wait to you see the pictures and the video you’ll be blown away.

Blue skies and safe Flying

When it comes to turning it on for the firat time and activating it... yes it is completely useless. There was nothing about this procedure in the manual.

Otherwise I found the manual vague and less than informative. Is there information? Sure. The manual lead me to a lot of questions that I found answers to outside of the DJI official demos and manuals.

So overall I give this 67 page manual a rating of useless. For the price it should have been far more informative.

Ok, I was just trying to help pass along information to help in your quest to get airborne since you had already contacted DJI for help.

Either way, good luck in your first flights. You are gonna love it. [emoji106]

Reactions: dirkclod
I would recommend hooking up with a local phantom veteran if you can find one. It could save you a world of grief and you'll be up to speed much quicker.

Mike I feel your pain. I got my phantom for Christmas. It’s a learning curve this is a complicated machine. All I can say is I got seven flights under my belt. Every time I fly and I am so amazed by this machine. I
studied for three months on How to fly it properly. And I’m still learning but it is definitely worth it in the long run. Hang in there it gets better. And wait to you see the pictures and the video you’ll be blown away.

Blue skies and safe Flying

Thanks. I should be able to get in the air this evening and Saturday and Sunday look like perfect flying weather. Sunday I might travel out to a friends 500 acre farm to really have some room to roam.

FL_Mike ... that first flight or two can be nerve wracking. We've all been there. Going to your friend's farm makes you smarter than many by learning to pilot the P3 in a wide open space instead of from your back yard. Yes, stay away from buildings, trees, power lines, and water until you get a feel for how it responds, how quickly it can move and judge depth perception of where your bird is. Fully charged batteries on the P3S, remote, and your GoApp device - always. Get it in the air, fly it around, up and down, fly it in a square or figure-8s, and the skills come fairly quickly. Let it hover and snap a couple of photos, but otherwise, concentrate on the flying - video skills can come later when you feel comfortable with the flight skills. Good luck and let us know how that first flight went. We all had sweaty palms on our first flight.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT