FrSky Taranis, X8R and the Phantom

Reaction score
I just finished setting up my new FrSky Taranis to control the Phantom with an X8R rx.
Very impressed with the transmitter. Decent build quality and so configurable. One of the things that annoyed me with the DX8 was that I couldn't set the switches up how I wanted them. No such issue with the Taranis.

Also, the X8R rx supports S-BUS so that's nice. It can also be set up as a 16 channel rx with 8 traditional outputs and 8 via S-BUS. It also supports telemetry although I've not bought any of the sensors for the Phantom. I have a variometer and a voltage sensor for my F550 when I get round to installing an X8R in that.
I'll grab one of the Smart Port voltage sensors for the Phantom once they're on the market. Unfortunately at the minute you need to use the variometer as a sensor hub as the old voltage sensor doesn't support Smart Port on the X8R. I don't want another module hanging around inside the Phantom so I'll wait.

So, if you're thinking about replacing your stock tx and don't want to drop $$$ for a DX8 or T8J, go for the Taranis I'd say (if you can find one). Very impressed indeed.

Reactions: David Cooke
Awesome, I've got the poorer-man's version of that: Turnigy 9x ($60) with FrSky DJT module ($30) and D8R-XP Rx ($25). Uninstalled at the moment, but set to go in my phantom as soon as I get the time to set it up. Glad to know that the phantom's NAZA will work with sbus, that will save some time and clutter.

I'm planning on using the same Tx for my upcoming 550, and an X8R Rx. All of my current budget is going to the new hex, but I hope to have the overhead someday to get the Taranis (and throw my DJT into it for all 16 channels :))

I may hit you up in a bit if I run in to any obstacles setting up on the phantom via sbus, but I'm guessing it'll be as easy as it sounds.

OI Photography said:
I may hit you up in a bit if I run in to any obstacles setting up on the phantom via sbus, but I'm guessing it'll be as easy as it sounds.

It's pretty easy if you're familiar with Open TX.
By the way, you don't need to throw your other rx in to get 16 channels. The X8R supports 16 channels on it's own.

rilot said:
OI Photography said:

It's pretty easy if you're familiar with Open TX.
By the way, you don't need to throw your other rx in to get 16 channels. The X8R supports 16 channels on it's own.

Right on, that's what I figured...I'll leave my current Rx in the phantom and get the X8R for my 550, and use the same controller/tx for both.

I'm in the process of putting ER9x on my Turnigy controller, so I'll be up to speed with Open TX by the time I get my Taranis.

I second that. I've had my Taranis since August and have an x8r in my Phantom and my Hex. It's great and way better and easier to program than my DX7s. I feel OpenTX is much better suited to MultiRotors and autopilots than trying to shoehorn the programming into an existing Heli or Plane program. The hardware has been solid and the switches and pots are top notch. I have a good baseline model setup I posted on http://rcsettings.com/index.php/viewdow ... nd-phantom

I highly recommend the Taranis gear and having the RSSI warnings spoken out loud is a life saver to keeping the phantom within radio link distance in dense urban environments.

Hi rilot,

I fly a Phantom since a couple of weeks and now i bought a Taranis and the X8R to use it with the Phantom. I bind the the X8R to the Taranis and have a green light. I have connect the NAZA via SBus to the X8R but it don't work. In the Assistant software i have a blue LED but the status says failsave. I choose PPM. No switches and sticks are working. I try Mode 1 and Mode 5. In the Taranis i tried D8 Ch 1-8 and D16 Ch 1-16, Always the same. I hope you can help me. What am I doing wrong?

Cheers
Udo

New to Programmable radios, and now on the waiting list for the Taranis.

Will probably need some hand-holding. I downloaded the eeprom posted by cd419 to have something to start with, thanks.

Dave Pitman said:

@ Aloft? I've been on the list there for a while, I'm told a new batch is expected in Jan...but I don't know how many or how far down the list I am. I've already got an X8R, so I'll take whichever is available first (the bundle or just the Taranis). Very excited for this controller.

OI Photography said:
Dave Pitman said:

@ Aloft? I've been on the list there for a while, I'm told a new batch is expected in Jan...but I don't know how many or how far down the list I am. I've already got an X8R, so I'll take whichever is available first (the bundle or just the Taranis). Very excited for this controller.

Yes, @ Aloft. I got on the list only a few days ago, so who knows when I'll be able to get one. I have never had a "real" TX, so I have a lot to learn in the mean time. If you know of Links to basic TX info, please pass them on. There seems to be plenty for the Taranis, but I don't know a "mix" from an "expo", lol, so I have to start a little lower.

I was leaning toward a Futaba, but have read so many good reviews of the Taranis, along with the value, sheesh, there doesn't seem to be any doubt.

Dave Pitman said:
Yes, @ Aloft. I got on the list only a few days ago, so who knows when I'll be able to get one. I have never had a "real" TX, so I have a lot to learn in the mean time. If you know of Links to basic TX info, please pass them on. There seems to be plenty for the Taranis, but I don't know a "mix" from an "expo", lol, so I have to start a little lower.

Yeah mixes and all that are beyond what I've gotten in to, but only because I haven't had the time yet. I'm sure rilot or one of the others can point you in the right direction there.

If it's going to be a while before your name comes up, and you want to get some experience with the open source firmware in the meantime, you can do what I did and get a Turnigy 9x, with an XJT and X8R for now, and put ER9x firmware on it.

Thanks.... interesting video! I ordered one of these from Range Video Thursday so obviously I haven't received mine yet. But man that LED is bright! I wonder how much current that draws and effect your flight times??

I kinda need some help installing the x8r into the phantom. I see from the video that the sbus goes to X2 but I think my PMU for iosd is using X2. I don't even know what X2 does. And what about the antenna's? They have these huge blocks on the bottom. doesn't make it easy to slide out of the body.

Anyways, any help would be greatly appreciated! I did download and write the eeprom that was listed earlier so I've made a little progress.

Thanks!

Davek said:
I kinda need some help installing the x8r into the phantom. I see from the video that the sbus goes to X2 but I think my PMU for iosd is using X2. I don't even know what X2 does. And what about the antenna's? They have these huge blocks on the bottom. doesn't make it easy to slide out of the body.

Anyways, any help would be greatly appreciated! I did download and write the eeprom that was listed earlier so I've made a little progress.

I'm interested in the answer to this as well.. as I have one on order!

Can you disconnect the antennas? I think I've read some posts on the gigantic rcgroups thread where a user replaced the antennas with longer ones which he has already installed on his plane.

I can't see a way to remove them and I would think they are there for a reason. So I can't cutting and splicing something else there.

The info out there on this receiver has my head spinning. Hopefully after I go through this I'll draw up a schematic and a simple set of config instructions.

Davek said:
I can't see a way to remove them and I would think they are there for a reason. So I can't cutting and splicing something else there.

The info out there on this receiver has my head spinning. Hopefully after I go through this I'll draw up a schematic and a simple set of config instructions.

You're right. I missed the last update he posted on that thread mentioning that the antennas are soldered inside. I thought they were connected with u.FL plugs looking at the pictures above.

http://www.fpvhub.com/index.php?topic=16098.0

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl