FrSky Taranis, X8R and the Phantom

Boozshey said:
Oh yeah forgot they had that little guy. I always use the d4r which isn't sbus. So yeah x4r is good too!

Yeah just be careful because there's 2 versions, one with SBus and one without. The X4R also has the A2 port like the older Rx's and the X6R....still not sure why they left that off the X8R.

OI Photography said:
Boozshey said:
Oh yeah forgot they had that little guy. I always use the d4r which isn't sbus. So yeah x4r is good too!

Yeah just be careful because there's 2 versions, one with SBus and one without. The X4R also has the A2 port like the older Rx's and the X6R....still not sure why they left that off the X8R.

For the X4R, do you have to buy 2 of them to get 16 channels? Also what would you use the A2 port for?

Khudson7 said:
For the X4R, do you have to buy 2 of them to get 16 channels? Also what would you use the A2 port for?

Nope, as long as you're using an XJT module or Taranis it'll send 16 channels over S-bus (the only way to get all 16 channels at once) natively. Of course the NAZA only uses up to 7 of them, so any other accessories will need to connect to one of the 3 traditional channel outputs.

The A2 port is an older-style voltage sensing connection, which lets you connect this: http://www.alofthobbies.com/battery-voltage-sensor.html

It's redundant if you're using a current sensor (they also provide that info), but for space-limited installs like the Phantom that voltage sensor is great.

I know this is not the perfect place, But I have a taranis and Naza m v2 built in a Tarot 680.. I mounted all, did the calibration of the ESC`s and, connected to the assistant software. When I turn on the motors nothing happens.. The lights are blinking G-G-R-R-R because of the satellites, cause I`m connecting it at home, but souldn`t the motors start the same???

Thanks for the help..

Looking for help Taranis, Dragonlink and Phantom

I will like to know if there is anyone in the group with the following: Taranis with Dragonlink to control a Phantom 2 Vision and a Walkera QR X 350 PRO.
Reason for the question, I lost my Taranis configurations trying to upgrade the firmware and I'm dead in the water unless I get someone EEPE.
I have a basic configuration but I don't feel good with it.

LeoS said:
porl_hopkins said:
LeoS said:
To answer my own questions...

1. Still no go. Gimbal is controlled with the SC switch\lever on the Taranis, which trintcole configured as Gain modifier. I've tried moving the X1 cable to channel 5 and 8 to no effect. (s-bus, 16 channel mode). So in the end I swapped the entries of CH5 and CH8 in the 'mixer' tab, and everything work as it should.

2. Ok, I can see if it's set to 'no pulse' it will trigger an RX error if you set the failsafe mode while connected to the Phantom Assistant. I have no idea what happens to the Phantom in real failsafe situation in this case, but setting the failsafe mode to 'hold' does not show the rx error.

Btw, my Taranis' sticks seem super sensitive\jittery viewed from the Phantom Assistant. Is it normal? Should I try to increase their dead zones?

Are you connecting your gimbal to the Naza? I have mine connected to the X8R and workd perfect

I use zenmuse for Phantom 2, which has a single cable connection to NAZA; as I understand it NAZA spits it back out on channel X1, which I was wondering where to connect to the X8R receiver to...

At any rate, I have gimbal angle control on my Taranis now.

My current issue is with centering\drift of the sticks. I've calibrated the sticks on the Taranis itself, then through Phantom Assistant, then restarted both the Taranis and P2, and repeat with the first step again... I start with all positions at 0, but after rotating the sticks, one axis can end with the value of fish. Most fluctuate +- 2 or 3 points.

How did you solve the gimbal tilt problem I have the same issue you fixed?

I recently acquired a taranis tranny and after having futaba for 20 years i cant sus it at all.. took me an hour to not pair a receiver till i searched youtube for vids . Does anybody do a taranis for dummies type book?

I now have a DFT on the way for my old ZAP. But i also have a spektrum DM9 coming for the taranis to use with eflite BNF stuff. What a ball ache.

locoworks said:
Does anybody do a taranis for dummies type book?
Not exactly, but you might find these resources helpful:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... MuIpMOJif0
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 0qlU0q3vJR
and
http://www.open-tx.org/2013/08/22/opent ... manual-en/

I hope that helps a little :cool:

Just for clarification, what do the phrases below mean :?:

locoworks said:
i cant sus it at all
and
locoworks said:
I now have a DFT on the way for my old ZAP
Me thinks you need to use some more acronyms so we can ALL be as confused as I am ;)

Sus = work out / understand .

DFT And DJT are FrSky modules for futaba and jr type module sockets.

9ZAP is the old futaba top of the range tranny. Actually in my case thw 9 ZAP WC2

thanks for the links, some of the links I've looked at show so many mistakes and redo's that you get lost and give up watching them. I suppose what I am looking for is a 'skin' for the taranis software so it looks like my familiar futaba 9ZAP. :) maybe someone could devise such a beast and do a JR one aswell so I can just install it and understand things. I haven't even tried going down the PC connection and using that system to program, but again, I would like that to look like my futaba menus with the same terminology. what would perhaps be nice would be a built in wifi or Bluetooth on the tranny so you could program it with an app on the iphone or android device that looked like your favourite menu system futabe or Jr etc. this means doing stuff on the field would be very simple. no doubt with time ( I couldn't use the ZAP at first either ) I will get there, but it is so alien I tend to loose focus quickly. the extensive double sided sheet of A2 instructions don't really tell you much above switching it on which surprisingly I managed without instructions ( once I realised the battery wasn't plugged in ) and how to pair a receiver. what confused me the most to start with was that the paper instructions show screen shots of pages 1- 13 and 1 - 7 but the tranny has 1 -12 and 1-8 as page options :? :?

Austin42 said:
How did you solve the gimbal tilt problem I have the same issue you fixed?
I am assuming the following:
a. the X2 wire coming from the Naza Flight controller is now plugged into the S-Bus port on the X8r.
b. the X1 wire on the Naza Flight controller is now UN-Plugged(not needed anymore)
c. You have the radio bind(bound) to the X8r(if not there are several youtube videos to walk you thru that)

Now the phantom should be sending the camera pitch thru on the channel 5 to the radio. But first, make sure sticks and knobs on the taranis have been calibrated from within the calibration screen on the taranis. Then on MIXES screen in taranis, assign a knob like LS to channel 5(actually the more correct way is to assign LS knob to an INPUT on the INPUT screen, say to INPUT 5, then on MIXES screen assign INPUT 5 as the source to channel 5).

Then go into the DJI assistant software in the NAZA mode, with the taranis connected to the computer and make sure the sticks and the X1 are calibrated there, as well. If all was done correctly, you should see the X1 slider in this assistant software, moving when you twist the LS knob on the radio, which indicates your camera pitch is working.

i am doing this from memory so I hope I did not miss anything.

This is how I have it now. Phantom 2 and frsky x8r with teranis plus. I pulled out the stock receiver from the phantom 2 with the gimbal. and put in an IOSD, 3ch video switch an immersion 600mw vtx. and a go pro on the gimbal of course. and lumenier cp-520 camera.

8xr is bound in mode 4 the s-bus goes to the x2 on the phantom controller.
The video switch is in ch11 of the 8xr
and x1 from the phantom is in ch9 of the 8xr.

I can't get the remote tilt to work from the taranis. I has train setting the switch to s1 and rs.
Neither will tilt the gimbal both will accurate a servo. I also tried adding a y adapter to the
on the servo wire going to x1 then plugged there servo in and it worked so it isn't the wire.

So ch5 is where my issue is I will give that a try. I started with ch5 in the beginning. I miss have missed a step. Thank you I will let you know

Thank you. That did it. So this is where I was failing. In the assistant soft where I was trying to see X1 move before clicking the calibration start button. :p

I've been operating my P2 with a Taranis X9D+ and an 8XR for some time now and it's a vast improvement on the standard controller. I have a chance of buying a P3 Standard for next to nothing; is it possible to do the same with the P3?
I've got a feeling that I'll have a problem operating the camera as it's on 5.8Ghz and the flight controller is 2.4 GHz. Would it be possible to operate the camera with one standard DJI controller and fly it with the Taranis and X8R? Failing that, I'd just switch the camera on (if possible) and leave it on in the same way that I fly my P2 with a GoPro

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj