FrSky Taranis, X8R and the Phantom

You've got that right! The lack of instructions combined with a lot of misinformation from the interweb is huge. I've spent the past 2 days wasting my time on this instead doing what I should be around the house. I have made progress though and it really isn't that complicated once you put the pieces together and wade through 50 pages of crap on RCG forums. It's all about getting a functioning model in your transmitter. Remove X1 and X2 cables from Naza along with the original receiver board - 10 grams. Connect X2 Naza cable to Sbus on X8R. Power up in Bind mode. Then bind and your done. I think......... Naza assistant confirms my transmitter is working but.....

I can't find a slider that functions for the pitch on gimble and a bit concerned about that X1 cable since I seemed to have read something about that x3 cable having to do with gimble. I'm thinking that X1 cable plugs into the x8r somewhere and I'm pretty sure CD put a gimble control in his model which is posted on page one. My last mystery..

Oh and one other thing that really sucks...... Seems you can't have multiple models that are binded to the same receiver. And binding is a pain since you have to physically press F/S while power up which means taking cover off or drilling holes. I hope I'm wrong about this.

Edited this since I put X3 instead of X1 port mistake

I just connected the gimbal directly to the receiver channel 8 and it works.

Now to drill the holes for antenna's :(

Davek said:
I just connected the gimbal directly to the receiver channel 8 and it works.

Now to drill the holes for antenna's :(

That's how I do it too, connecting gimbal control directly to the receiver instead of going through the NAZA.

Thanks to CD419 earlier in the thread. I modified hid setup a little, but had the whole thing going in less than 3 hours. Couldn't have done it without basing my setup of of his.

Not sure on how to mount the antennas. I was told the one should be vertical and the other horizontal. Does this sound right?

I have them both inside the body. The horizontal one is in one of the arms and the vertical one is next to the battery tray in the front.

With the phantom on the hood of my truck I drove my car .5 miles down the street, got out of the car and had 50db of signal. Do you guys think that is good?

Here is my setup. Works great.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/683 ... ARANIS.BIN

I have sound files for all the functions. I'll post all my sound files later. Don't have the TX with me

I have X2 going to Receiver sbus
I have X1 going to channel 5 on receiver
I have gimbal tilt going to Channel 8

Whats up with x1 going to ch5? This is an example of the unexplained thing I can't get my head around? I have X1 going to nothing. Just wondering

I also have the problem of no gps mode now. No blinky blinky green and then red. Only Yellow and Reds as in ATI mode. Not compase error

Davek said:
Whats up with x1 going to ch5? This is an example of the unexplained thing I can't get my head around? I have X1 going to nothing. Just wondering

I also have the problem of no gps mode now. No blinky blinky green and then red. Only Yellow and Reds as in ATI mode. Not compase error

Sorry X1 goes to channel 5. Thats so you can adjust gains on the fly. I have mine set up for knob s2. switch SC up is default gain, sc middle is default gain minus 50%, sc down allows control of the x1 output with knob S2. You can set your Naza gains to adjust with X1.

GPS mode should be SA up.

This is if you used my setup. I changed up CD419's setup.

If you guys are interested, there's now a smart port enabled voltage telemetry device for the X8R: http://www.t9hobbysport.com/frsky-flvss ... age-sensor

I've got one on my F550 and it works brilliantly. I've got it triggering an alarm on the Taranis when it gets to a certain level.

The best thing about it is that it connects to the balance lead of the LiPo so no soldering is required. Also has an OLED display so you can check your cell voltages (individual cell voltages can also been seen on the transmitter telemetry). Not bad for £12

It's the FLVSS you need not the older FLVS-01 which doesn't support smart port.

rilot said:
If you guys are interested, there's now a smart port enabled voltage telemetry device for the X8R: http://www.t9hobbysport.com/frsky-flvss ... age-sensor

I've got one on my F550 and it works brilliantly. I've got it triggering an alarm on the Taranis when it gets to a certain level.

The best thing about it is that it connects to the balance lead of the LiPo so no soldering is required. Also has an OLED display so you can check your cell voltages (individual cell voltages can also been seen on the transmitter telemetry). Not bad for £12

It's the FLVSS you need not the older FLVS-01 which doesn't support smart port.

Agreed, they're great little devices, I had the smart-port version before I even had the X8R receiver to connect them too, just had it hooked up to the batt for quick readings before takeoff and right after landing. Here it is hanging off the balance lead while I was testing, before the final mounting:
56e8ljYl.jpg

However, I should mention I've gone through three (2 of the smart port ones, and one of the older model) before getting one that gives consistent readings on all cells...there was always one cell reading lower on the FrSky meter than with any of my other batt checkers (who all gave readings consistent with each other). And, the one smart-port version I have that gives consistent cell readings won't output the readings to the receiver, so I actually have the old hub-version connected to my X8R through the current sensor and variometer (which can bridge old devices to the smart port).

I've got the older one on my S800 as I wanted the FAS-100 so I could see the current draw of my craft. It's a bit of a rats nest with the variometer in there too.

rilot said:
I've got the older one on my S800 as I wanted the FAS-100 so I could see the current draw of my craft. It's a bit of a rats nest with the variometer in there too.

I ran in to the same but on my 550, ended up mounting all that on the bottom:
5f5LlgRl.jpg

Leo, the sensor is small enough you can mount it on the front of the battery door, you just have to work out getting the cable to the receiver.

As has been noted, the Taranis threads at RCG are insanely long.

If any of you that have successfully set up the Phantom with the Taranis could put together a concise list of implementation, that would be great for those (of us) that will be going down the same path.

Dave Pitman said:
OI Photography said:
Looks like 2Dogs RC has the Taranis in stock now, priced to reflect the limited availability: http://www.2dogrc.com/frsky-taranis-2-4 ... dium=email

I received an email notice from them as well. Now I have to decide if I want to wait for my turn at Aloft to come up at $50.00 less?

Same boat I'm in. I think I can hold off a bit for the $50 difference, and Wayne let me know my name should come up on the list within the next few weeks. I figure I'll spend that time continuing to learn it as much as possible, so I can be flying with it sooner once I have it in my hands.

BTW, for any of the current Taranis owners here, have any of you looked at or done anything with telemetry data saved to the memory card?

trintcole said:
Thanks to CD419 earlier in the thread. I modified hid setup a little, but had the whole thing going in less than 3 hours. Couldn't have done it without basing my setup of of his.

Not sure on how to mount the antennas. I was told the one should be vertical and the other horizontal. Does this sound right?

I have them both inside the body. The horizontal one is in one of the arms and the vertical one is next to the battery tray in the front.

With the phantom on the hood of my truck I drove my car .5 miles down the street, got out of the car and had 50db of signal. Do you guys think that is good?

Here is my setup. Works great.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/683 ... ARANIS.BIN

I have sound files for all the functions. I'll post all my sound files later. Don't have the TX with me

I have X2 going to Receiver sbus
I have X1 going to channel 5 on receiver
I have gimbal tilt going to Channel 8

Your setup is great! I finally got into the air today using your file. Response and feel from the Tx was amazing. Funny how a Tx change can make such difference. Take offs with my 1300g pig were quick and direct. But the 2 issues I have are the gimbal control next to Fail Safe. Nothing should be next to fail safe with my fat hands. In fact, it should take a combo code to engage FS.... joking.. sort of. The other is a beep each time I move a stick. Not a big deal though and finally, the gimbal should be on a slider for me. But Hey, It was awesome!! Thank You So Much! Seriously, 3 days of opentx swim and drown. I've recovered. I will post my start up, get to it basic instructions. Obviously. switch changes, programming and learning will continue. Thanks again! The BIN file works fine out of the box!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.