Friend of a Friend Fined $1800 no registration on drone..i have questions

Does he need to register as well?
The aircraft must only have one registration number attached to it -- even if two people over 12 years old are flying it.

I'm replying without reading all the other replies, so I may be repeating, but if I recall, you don't have to have the number visible on the outside. I wrote mine on my batteries. It's there if needed and it's not as likely to wear off and have to be redone. I just wrote it on the batteries with a sharpie.

Agreed it need not be on the outside, but on the batts... that's not compliant.

Batteries and a/c can separate.

Reactions: Falcon900
The aircraft must only have one registration number attached to it -- even if two people over 12 years old are flying it.

Thank You. My car has only one license plate, even though both my wife and I drive it ... I see the logic.

Last edited:
550_energizer-bunny.jpg

Reactions: MCTV
I have mentioned this before & never got a result: I registered with the Company that made my DJI. & they stated that is all I need to do, as they register me with the FAA. It also allows me to fly in certain zones with-out a penalty. As long as I follow the same rules of a "Club" like the "AMA" which I do & had been a member for over 10 years.

If anyone is at fault, it would be DJI for stating this info when you setup your drone.

I for one will not pay a $5.00 fee each 3 years to be able to fly. I flew before as a AMA member, & didn't get a request for $5.00 every 3 years.

The serial #'s are one the bird, they know who it belongs to!

BS meter pegged out.

You DID ask this question before on the 22nd, and were told here on this very board you attach it to the quad. Ignorance is no excuse, plain and simple. End of story there, your friend got what's coming to him. Thought it might be like getting out of a speeding ticket eh? Welcome to FEDERAL REGULATIONS.

Airport police wouldn't go off airport to find a drone operator, it would be coordinated with local police/state, etc. The whole story is still not being told here.

Yeah, as a full size heli pilot, I don't have any sympathy for you in this case, especially when you posted and asked beforehand. I've also been very vocal here that we'll be seeing many more examples of people getting fined, and who'll claim ignorance as a defense.

Stubblefield, yes, you are mistaken, you still go thru the register process for flying it as a hobby (non-commercial), in which case the registration number assigned to you goes on all of your aircraft.

If you register and indicate commercial use, you'll get a registration number for EACH aircraft you intend to use for the operations.

That $5 registration covers all of your UAVs used for hobby flying as long as they are .55 lbs. to 54 lbs. That's $1.67 per year.

Tobby

First not sure what you mean DJI and or some other company registered you. DJI registration is separate from the FAA's.
If you have not registered, paid $5, and received a 10 character number to affix to your drone you are not registered.
You are free to make your own choice in the matter but it sounds like you are not in compliance.
Even the AMA instructs their members to do so.

I have mentioned this before & never got a result: I registered with the Company that made my DJI. & they stated that is all I need to do, as they register me with the FAA. It also allows me to fly in certain zones with-out a penalty. As long as I follow the same rules of a "Club" like the "AMA" which I do & had been a member for over 10 years.

If anyone is at fault, it would be DJI for stating this info when you setup your drone.

I for one will not pay a $5.00 fee each 3 years to be able to fly. I flew before as a AMA member, & didn't get a request for $5.00 every 3 years.

You payed over 50 bucks a year to be an AMA member, for ten years, but refuse to pay 5 bucks for three years.........

DJI doesn't reg with the FAA for you, if that's what your trying to say here. Nowhere does it say that, and if you have a notice that states otherwise post it here for all to see. Now on these $5. (less than $2. a year) are you that hard up for cash? After spending how many hundreds of dollars on your Phantom, really? Do you have a FAA number for your drone, and have it labeled? If not, your not in compliance with the law.

Well, I finally took enough interest in this to do some detailed poking around the FAA site regarding 107. I found this, which puzzles me: AFAIK, plenty of people are using drones commercially that have not taken any tests at an FAA facility to get their certification. People are only registering with the FAA. Yet, 107 supposedly says we're all required to get a Pilot Certification?

Someone clear this up...

Pilot Certification
To operate the controls of a small UAS under Part 107, you need a remote pilot airman certificate with a small UAS rating, or be under the direct supervision of a person who holds such a certificate

You must be at least 16 years old to qualify for a remote pilot certificate, and you can obtain it in one of two ways:

• You may pass an initial aeronautical knowledge test at an FAA-approved knowledge testing center.
  • If you already have a Part 61 pilot certificate, other than a student pilot certificate, you must have completed a flight review in the previous 24 months and you must take a small UAS online training course provided by the FAA.

A 107 certificate is to fly commercialy (make money with your drone).

To fly for fun, you only need to register your drone for 5 bucks. You'll get a number to put on the drone and you can fly for your enjoyment.

If your strictly flying for your enjoyment, 107 has nothing to do with you.

I will add that the FAA considers any use of a drone for commercial purposes is commercial whether you fly for hire or you fly for free. In other words you cannot give your photos away if you know they will show up in a real estate listing

A 107 certificate is to fly commercialy (make money with your drone).

To fly for fun, you only need to register your drone for 5 bucks. You'll get a number to put on the drone and you can fly for your enjoyment.

If your strictly flying for your enjoyment, 107 has nothing to do with you.
That's what I thought (and I did that shortly after getting my P4), but this issue @stubblefield is arguing keeps referring back to 107. Why, if all we're discussing is registration for recreational use? @stubblefield can you clarify?

107 doesn't seem to have anything to do with hobby use. So, I'm curious where the registration requirement comes from too -- it doesn't come from 107.

Not disputing it, just wondering where in FAA regs registration the rule was issued.

That's what I thought (and I did that shortly after getting my P4), but this issue @stubblefield is arguing keeps referring back to 107. Why, if all we're discussing is registration for recreational use? @stubblefield can you clarify?

107 doesn't seem to have anything to do with hobby use. So, I'm curious where the registration requirement comes from too -- it doesn't come from 107.

Not disputing it, just wondering where in FAA regs registration the rule was issued.

Section 336.

Go to the bottom of this chart for leagal or regulatory basis.

Getting Started

Reactions: dwallersv
It is my understanding that registration is for commercial flying only. Am I mistaken?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots
No, registration is for all drones based on weight. As a hobby pilot I was shooting some vid at a marina 2 miles from a major airport. I called the tower cab and informed them what I was doing. The controller was confused with the reg allowing me to fly with a call to the tower. After about 2 minutes of checking his regs he approved my flight, with altitude restriction and call back when completed. Pretty simple stuff. Just be sure to tell them you are a non-commercial operator. Rules about notice more time consuming for them. This time the gov got the regulation right for hobby fliers.

Well, I finally took enough interest in this to do some detailed poking around the FAA site regarding 107. I found this, which puzzles me: AFAIK, plenty of people are using drones commercially that have not taken any tests at an FAA facility to get their certification. People are only registering with the FAA. Yet, 107 supposedly says we're all required to get a Pilot Certification?

Someone clear this up...

Pilot Certification
To operate the controls of a small UAS under Part 107, you need a remote pilot airman certificate with a small UAS rating, or be under the direct supervision of a person who holds such a certificate

You must be at least 16 years old to qualify for a remote pilot certificate, and you can obtain it in one of two ways:

• You may pass an initial aeronautical knowledge test at an FAA-approved knowledge testing center.
  • If you already have a Part 61 pilot certificate, other than a student pilot certificate, you must have completed a flight review in the previous 24 months and you must take a small UAS online training course provided by the FAA.

You're not looking at corectly. Before Part 107 went LIVE you had to have a current Pilot Certificate and Section 333 Exemption to operate commercially.

After Part 107 you have 2 options:

a) hold a Pilot Certificate and take the online test, pass and get a Remote Pilot Endorsement/Certificate
b) Go to an approved FAA Test facility and take the full Remote Pilot Course and pass to get a Remote Pilot Certificate

Ridiculous story...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl