Friend of a Friend Fined $1800 no registration on drone..i have questions

His big mistake was in talking to them, and letting them into his house.
"Come back with a warrant" then get on line and register while they are gone. They never saw the drone flying so can't claim you flew it before it was registered.

but time to look for new neighbors, or buy them out so you don't have them.
OR just follow the rules.

The airport does not have "police". The FAA is a regulating agency, not a police agency. The FAA cannot "arrest" anyone. Local law enforcement can arrest for "reckless endangerment", privacy violation or trespassing. Local law enforcement can collect information such as registration and identification and provide it to the Department of Transportation (FAA) for investigation with regard to and limited to fines and/or license suspension.

Regulatory agencies operate under restrictions and at the direction of legislation. That's basic Civics 101, which unfortunately has not been taught in schools for a long time.

Registration applies to all "drones" between .55 and 55 pounds, commercial or hobby. (Where have some of you been for the last few years?) If you think the $5 ("greedy government") registration fee covers the cost of this process you are clearly from another planet.

The story that initiated this thread amounts to propaganda at best. I've seen Swiss cheese with fewer holes than that premise. To what end and purpose I can only guess. I smell troll.

I called my friend again and now he thinks it was the NAS police that came. I am not a troll. Again I just posted what i heard. I will do my best to try to find out more. I tried to call him a couple of times and haven't been able to get ahold of him. I am going to ask him to ask the dude to take a pic of the citation.
Again, my freind had no reason to lie to me. I will continue to fine out what happened but again it wasn't aviation police it was the naval air station police that cited him.

I don't know why people are shooting the messenger again I was just trying to warn people that have not registered.

thanks man but shouldn't the govt put that in more plain english all over the website especially on the certificate itself. It list other rules like don't fly above 400ft,never fly next to airports etc BUT NOT ONE WORD ABOUT PUTTING THE **** STICKER ON THE DRONE. NOT A WORD

On their website they do give you very detailed instructions. You can even place your registration number inside the drone's batteries compartment as long as you don't need any type of tools to remove the battery from the drone. Read carefully, the detailed instructions ARE there. Happy droning!

20170107_193928.jpg
It sure was simple to to use packaging tape and affix a printed copy of my actual license to the underside of my drone. I just added my name, address and phone number. If I were to lose control of my drone and hurt or cause property damage.. my name and address are proudly posted in full view. I will stand up and take full responsibility for what harm I may have caused. It that not the RIGHT thing to do?

(I also carry a copy in my case and on my phone.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Helihover
Anyway you choose to label it is fine. You should also have another copy with you while flying either paper or on mobile device should you be asked to produce it.

\
I think this whole subject is pure internet BS. There is no aviation police and the only people that can enforce this is the FAA( you might call them the aviation police if you want to but they are not). In an enforcement action, the FAA will send a registered, certified USPS mail informing you of the charges. They do not come from the "airport" and visit you. There are only a few of these offices and most are not on airport property but in federal buildings.

I label this B.S.

Have you ever heard of a ramp check? The FAA can and does do them. It's rare but it does happen! Being all of this is new they are probably ramp checking a lot of people especially if they get a complaint. I'm not saying the story is true or not I have no way of knowing but I do they can show up in person and ask for your (Pilots license) part 107 UAS License which is a Pilots license. and the registration.

Yes Stubblefield you are mistaken. If the Drone weighs over .55 pounds or slightly over 1/2 pound it MUST be registered.

Just a couple of thoughts after reviewing the thread. Back in the 60s I was a pretty radical guy with long hair and the like. I remember we said Amerika and burned Draft cards.

Today, I love the radicals. We need them to stay on top of things. Lots of Drone folks are a little radical. But let me say after 37 years of flying, there's no aviation police and no bogey man. And they definitely don't have folks responding to random tips from neighbors.

Now fly your Drone by your pretty neighbors window and a DIFFERENT police come. I have been watching Droners breaking every law in the book and then rushing to YouTube to publicize their crime. The AVIATION police could stay busy all day arresting the guys with video taped confessions before showing up looking for a label on a Drone.

Just saying...

The biggest problem with the story is that it's 3rd hand information with considerable uncertainty added with the telling by the friend and his friend before it was reported here.
What we have here is a long way from the source material or the people involved in the original incident.

The biggest problem with the story is that it's 3rd hatynd information with considerable uncertainty added with the telling by the friend and his friend before it was reported here.
What we have here is a long way from the source material or the people involved in the original incident.
true but I am still working on it and I will get to the bottom of it. i am going to ask my friend for the guys phone numbers and talk to him myself. I am knew to drones and this website and don't want to be labeled as a troll

true but I am still working on it and I will get to the bottom of it. i am going to ask my friend for the guys phone numbers and talk to him myself. I am knew to drones and this website and don't want to be labeled as a troll
That's OK ... I was just trying to cool things down because some were taking everything so seriously when it's obvious that we've only got a slightly unreliable version to work with.

Whew...I just registered before the airport cops show up. I haven't even flown the drone yet, but no sense taking any chances!! LOL

There's already plenty of half-truths and misinformation on the web.
In the future try to gain more detail and facts before posting so you're not adding to it. ;)

There's already plenty of half-truths and misinformation on the web.
In the future try to gain more detail and facts before posting so you're not adding to it. ;)

I read somewhere on the internet that just being around a drone causes cancer. Maybe that's how I got my cancer.

Sent from my Satellite Phone using PhantomPilots

I read somewhere on the internet that just being around a drone causes cancer. Maybe that's how I got my cancer.

Sent from my Satellite Phone using PhantomPilots

Sorry to hear that.

Lost family to it.

Not something I will joke about.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik