Friend of a Friend Fined $1800 no registration on drone..i have questions

It is my understanding that registration is for commercial flying only. Am I mistaken?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

No, both recreational and professional drone pilots must register their drone(s). The main difference is, that professionals have to register each drone they use and acquire a different number for each, so they pay $5 for each drone. A recreational flyer can purchase one FA number and use it for all their drones. Make sure you only use the FAA's website to register... there are a dozen sites out there that will charge you $30 or more: sUAS Registration

Does anyone know if I can have both a recreational drone and professional drone registered under the same person if I get two different registration numbers, or would they have to be in separate people.

Does anyone know if I can have both a recreational drone and professional drone registered under the same person if I get two different registration numbers, or would they have to be in separate people.
Actually, you can do both. Just have to make sure that any bird that you use for commercial work is registered as such. My Symas are both registered hobby and my phantoms commercial. BTW, there's no issue with flying your commercially registered bird for hobby flights. Just have to make the determination before you fly as to which set of rules the flight will be flying under.

There's already plenty of half-truths and misinformation on the web.
In the future try to gain more detail and facts before posting so you're not adding to it. ;)
I completely agree, like just the other day on this forum I was reading a post that said doing the "Magic Power" mod might be unhealthy because it cause excessive radiation from the remote ?? Really ?

A more direct issue would be, that here in the US, adding an amp will probably violate the FCC rules for the fregs being used. Sort of like the old CBerscadding amplifiers back in the '70s. Not likely to get caught, but if someone does complain about interference and it gets traced back, could result in a hefty fine.

No, both recreational and professional drone pilots must register their drone(s). The main difference is, that professionals have to register each drone they use and acquire a different number for each, so they pay $5 for each drone. A recreational flyer can purchase one FA number and use it for all their drones. Make sure you only use the FAA's website to register... there are a dozen sites out there that will charge you $30 or more: sUAS Registration
Well, here I am again. As someone said, I'm probably the most quoted member on the forum. And I realize that everyone is replying that I am mistaken because of this page: sUAS Registration. Any time a governmental agency, in this case the FAA, orders and or requires the people to do something, there has to be a Federal Statute (Law), and in the case for UAS's, Rules formulated. The Law is "FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012" that directs the FAA to formulate Rules that define the Law. Within the Act of 2012, Section 336 is the Special Rule for Model Aircraft. And then there is the lengthy Interpretation of the Special Rule for Model Aircraft. Section 336 is not very long and no where in it does it stipulate registration of UAS for hobby use.

Am I ****? probably, but PLEASE someone provide a link to the specific Federal language that requires me to register my drone or myself as a drone flyer. Just because this page sUAS Registration says I have to register, there has to be a Law behind it. Please don't site 107 because it refers you back to Section 336.

I am not doing this to troll or to stir the pot (same thing?). I WILL register if someone can lead me down the golden path to enlightenment of Federal law.

If no one can, then all new UAS hobbyists should know they don't have to register.

Have you contacted this guy?

Alex Zektser, Office of Chief Counsel, International Law, Legislation, and Regulations Division, AGC-220, Federal Aviation Administration, 800 Independence Avenue, SW., Washington, DC 20591; telephone (202) 267-3073; e-mail [email protected].

Well, here I am again. As someone said, I'm probably the most quoted member on the forum. And I realize that everyone is replying that I am mistaken because of this page: sUAS Registration. Any time a governmental agency, in this case the FAA, orders and or requires the people to do something, there has to be a Federal Statute (Law), and in the case for UAS's, Rules formulated. The Law is "FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012" that directs the FAA to formulate Rules that define the Law. Within the Act of 2012, Section 336 is the Special Rule for Model Aircraft. And then there is the lengthy Interpretation of the Special Rule for Model Aircraft. Section 336 is not very long and no where in it does it stipulate registration of UAS for hobby use.

Am I ****? probably, but PLEASE someone provide a link to the specific Federal language that requires me to register my drone or myself as a drone flyer. Just because this page sUAS Registration says I have to register, there has to be a Law behind it. Please don't site 107 because it refers you back to Section 336.

I am not doing this to troll or to stir the pot (same thing?). I WILL register if someone can lead me down the golden path to enlightenment of Federal law.

If no one can, then all new UAS hobbyists should know they don't have to register.

Please visit this FAA site, where the easy to follow rules are listed for recreational pilots Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Frequently Asked Questions/Help
If you have further questions you can contact the FFA directly at the FAA's UAS Integration Office via [email protected] or by calling 844-FLY-MY-UA.

And that's not a Troll speaking ? Or are you a ANARCHIST ? When you say "If no one can, then all new UAS hobbyists should know they don't have to register."

this is the reason that we have to register in the first place.

I'm sure what happened is someone was flying near an airport, in a park and someone probably suggested that it might not be a good idea to fly near and airport to which

'hey Im a tax payer! I pay for this park too! What am I, a second class citizen??'

10 minutes later quadcopter bounces off of control tower windows...

;)

thanks man but shouldn't the govt put that in more plain english all over the website especially on the certificate itself. It list other rules like don't fly above 400ft,never fly next to airports etc BUT NOT ONE WORD ABOUT PUTTING THE **** STICKER ON THE DRONE. NOT A WORD

from the govt site.
  • Register your UAS if it weighs more than 0.55 pounds and less than 55 pounds
  • Label your UAS with your registration number
  • Read and understand all safety guidelines

Please visit this FAA site, where the easy to follow rules are listed for recreational pilots Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Frequently Asked Questions/Help
If you have further questions you can contact the FFA directly at the FAA's UAS Integration Office via [email protected] or by calling 844-FLY-MY-UA.

N017RW I appreciate the info you gave. I just sent off an fairly long e-mail to Mr. Zektser hoping to get clarification.

Digital.Gods I am aware of the Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Frequently Asked Questions/Help website and I specifically asked for clarification in my above e-mail about the last bullet item under Option #1. The FAA threw in language that is not a part of Section 336, surprising the FAA didn't require ones first born also.

Hopefully Mr. Zektser will respond.

I registered ME over a year ago (when it first became required) and remember they had it in several places that you had to affix your number to your machine. However, it could be affixed anyplace that could be accessed without the use of tools.

I placed a piece of scotch tape on a battery, wrote my number on it with a Sharpie, then affixed another piece of scotch tape over that to prevent rubbing off, etc. If I dispose of or sell, I just peel the tape and my registration number is removed.

I have three DJI Phantoms of various vintage, only the P3P has the registration number affixed, but it is also the only one I have flown since registration became required.

Out of curiosity, Stubblefield, do you register your vehicle? If you do, did someone have to show you current registration laws, or did you just go register your car because everyone else was doing it?

Serious question here because I'm trying to understand your thought process.

Out of curiosity, Stubblefield, do you register your vehicle? If you do, did someone have to show you current registration laws, or did you just go register your car because everyone else was doing it?

Serious question here because I'm trying to understand your thought process.
Or if a cop tells you this or that is illegal and asked you to stop (like when flying your drone somewhere), and your response is to prove it by showing you the law in black and white on the spot. See where that gets you.

Some neighbor turned him in. The aviation police from the airport came to his house and wanted to throw him in jail. This is where it gets foggy. My friend said he got the fine because he didn't have registration on drone. But I think it's because he wasn't registered period. Because the only way i found out about taping the number to your drone was from this site. I could not find it any where on the faa site that you have to tape the number to your drone.

Here are my questions. Do you have to put the faa number on your drone?
If yes, why isn't on their website instucting people to do it?
I'm replying without reading all the other replies, so I may be repeating, but if I recall, you don't have to have the number visible on the outside. I wrote mine on my batteries. It's there if needed and it's not as likely to wear off and have to be redone. I just wrote it on the batteries with a sharpie.

I'm eager to hear your conspiracy theory. Who do you think the fee is going to?
I think the fee is going directly into Trump's pocket. I had more than one person personally blame Obama for the .22 shortage a couple years ago, so now I'M gonna blame Donny for everything. It's as rational as I can get. (sorry) Don't flame me. It's a joke, ok?

Reactions: Mr. Salty
Here is a question (to keep this thread alive) ...

I did register a while back, but my son did not. We always fly 'together' ... one holds the remote, the other the iPad. Does he need to register as well? Or is he's 'legally' under age and thus NOT allowed to drive/fly?

Last edited:
I'm with RW, there's A LOT of info missing. BTW

View attachment 72501
My 3 yr old could figure this out. I know it was linked by another member but, it was also linked on the FAA website. /shrug
And there it is. If the battery compartment opens with bare hands, you can put the number inside. What they want is to be able to connect the quadcopter (I hate the word "drone") to its owner, so when they find it embedded in the side of a building or airplane (just kidding), they know who to bust.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20