Frank's Story

Went out yesterday. Lovely day. Blue skies, fluffy clouds. Just flew around for a while looking at the spring lambs. I had gone for a longer flight before but alas it was recorded in MOV format, after the RC had "updated" to 1.7. For some reason the computer, MOV for Mac?, did not like it so this is the last few mins I managed to record in MP4 format.

I flew with a filter on. Lens petal hood on order. :)

Oh its watched best by clicking the square, bottom right of video, for a full scree. Also slide the resolution up to full, again the cog in bottom right corner. :)

Reactions: Myetkt
Forgot to mention. Had my first serious crash a couple of days ago. 100% my fault. Went flying away had a lovely flight. Brought it back to me it was directly over head. So I brought it down low so I could hand catch it, ground rather wet and bumpy, in the last 20 feet Lowered into tree behind me. I thought it was in front, wrong. It landed upside down in some mud. Prop broken. Engines caked in mud. My fault.

So I scraped off as much muck as I could. Brought it home spent a lot of time slowly picking the mud away from around the engine and its casing. Then I took it outside and gave it a good cleaning with a MAF sensor cleaner I had to get rid of the last of it. Cleaned the entire craft. Replaced the broken prop and the re-balanced all the props. I was impressed with myself because two of the four were spot on. Only one of the previously balanced props and the brand new prop were out of balance. Soon had all four spot on. Worth doing. Back to its original self.

Got a petal shade, new set of props, and a tablet sun shade for my Nvidia Shield K1 on there way to me now. In time, hopefully, for the sunny weather. :)

My new sunshade arrived today. Ever so slightly too small for my NVIDIA Tablet K1. The sunshade is 7.9" the Tablet is 8". Tried to fit it once and it will fit but its a bodge job. So it really is as new. Its back in its original packet now. If I had not mentioned the above you would think it brand new, which it was until half an hour ago.

So I am going to almost give it away. :) All I want is a prepaid envelope sending to me with your name and address on it, my address will be supplied via PM. And something else. The something else I will leave up to you. How good is your imagination?

Looking forward to your replies :)

Its like the one below. It collapses flat with velcro at the bottom eges to bind it together.

$_35.JPG

Well I think you have done it Frank, you've become a great pilot and you have learned to take some beautiful photography. I have followed your story from the start, reading about the fun and frustrations along the way. Congratulation, that a wonderful video of some beautiful scenery. Thanks for sharing.

Well I think you have done it Frank, you've become a great pilot and you have learned to take some beautiful photography. I have followed your story from the start, reading about the fun and frustrations along the way. Congratulation, that a wonderful video of some beautiful scenery. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you. That is very nice of you to take time to say so. You realise now I shall have to buy a bigger hat. :)

Reactions: Myetkt
Thought id check the aircrafts range today. Flew it out of sight. I went out to 1500 feet then had to return. Ok its in the pathetic range but It was well out of sight on a windy day. Just had a feeling................ Will give it a proper check another day.

I brought it back. Packed up. Even before I could get my rucksack on my back I had a fly past of three Hercules Aircraft. VERY low. In fact lower than my drone had been flying. I could see the pilots face it was that low. Sheep darting in every direction. Just wished I had my camera to hand. So very low.

Reactions: Monte Olsen
Just had a quick flight this afternoon between the showers. Should have taken off the filter etc but it was just a test flight.

The objective of my flight today was to see how close I could do a fly past. With hindsight perhaps I was a little too close. :)

I apologise for the film quality though you can still see how close I got....

Not having much luck. Yesterday I flew sent the heli off to a far flung destination. The gimbal kept going bizzerk and I could not see where I was going so I brought it back. Cured the problem, perhaps more of that later. Took off again. Then, softly at first, I could hear a low flying helicopter heading my way. Then the drone of a light aircraft close by but out of sight. So I quickly started to pull the heli backtowards me with the decent pulled back as far as it would go, you have to fly at 1,200 to clear the hills. To top it all off three Hercules aircraft decided to do a low pass along the side of the Hills and do a simulated practice drop around the area I was flying in. Not quite knowing in which direction to look I just concentrated on getting it home. Phew I made it. Thought it was a sign to give up for the day. Withing seconds of landing the low flying aircraft went over my head. Its the first time since flying here I have ever seen anything flying let alone that many at once.

Today undetered I thought give it another go, get right back on the horse so to speak. Rucksack out. Heli, check. RC fully charged, check. Two batteries fully charged, check. SD card and Adapter in pocket and ready to use check. So everything in rucksack. Drove to a different spot. Parked up. Rucksack on back. Ten min walk to a safe fly zone with no one, especially aircraft, about. Unpacked. Props on. Battery in. SD Card in (a favorite one of mine I tend to forget) Aircraft on to warm up. RC out of bag and on. Tablet................. wheres the tablet??? Sugar! or words to that effect. Still on charge at home. Oh well will just have to use my phone like I did in the "old" days. Got the warning down to 10% charge. :( Is someone up there trying to tell me something?

Between the weather and me quietly dying of man flu I have not done much flying at all lately. Went out once, had left the pad at home. Next day all set up, no SD card. "ohh dear" I said, or words to that effect. Next day I set everything up and as I mounted the NVIDA tablet I noticed that one of the corners had lifted slightly. I pushed it back in with a satisfying click. The screen disappeared and a message the effect of 'Welcome to your new NVIDIA tablet. Went into my software all my DJI apps etc had gone. No flying. After I got home the tablet sorted itself out once connected to the internet and its back to normal.

Today I went out. Did a check before I left the front door. All present. Very windy with quite violent gusts. Sod it I am going to fly anyway. Tricky take off between the gusts but managed to get it up in the air. Did some low flying to keep out of the wind and practiced slow turns and slow gimbel moves. Despite the weather it should make some decent footage. Hand caught. Went to switch off the recording........... I had not pressed record. Sugar! I was not going to leave without some footage.

I took off again. Did some sweeps and turns. Flew between some trees. Great. Flew around a little more. Started to descend slowly. A gust of wind came up. My rucksack on the ground started to blow away to some rather yucky looking mud.......... I was distracted. I looked up and the drone was being shoved down and sideways......... too late. It crashed into the top of a tree. When I say tree I mean a bush that has grown to the size of a tree and gone all woody. Did not look damaged just tangled up in the upper branches.

I trudged over. Luckily I had my wellies on.Ankle deep in the smelly stuff. When I got to the tree I come see it flashing away like some demented Christmas tree decoration. How the ***** was I going to get it down. Ok you wise guys will be saying 'climb the tree you pillock'. But remember I did say this was more like an overgrown bush 40 feet high. To make it more fun the branches were thorny. The base had a defense perimeter of bramble bushes as high as my neck.

This is a photo from the drone as it dangled to give you some idea of what it was like. That bird knew where to build its nest.

Tree Tops.jpg

(Down there, somewhere, is me looking up. )

I tried climbing the tree. Coat covered in moss. Hands covered in scratches. Could not get close. Tried throwing branches up into the tree to try and dislodge it. The tree now has a lovely collection of funny shaped walking sticks dangling from the upper branches. I needed something longer. So I found a long branch on the tree. Started to separate it from the tree and I noticed the branches under the branches above, hope this makes sense, started to fall. The prize moved! So with the help of my new found friend the big branch I proceeded to remove the stuff underneath. Slowly branch by bundled branch it got lower and lower. Finally with a coat covered in moss, hair full of tiny twigs, wellies covered in mud I got it free.

Walking triumphantly from the bushes with drone in hand I practically collided with a couple of aged ramblers. Afternoon! Did not say much just went in the opposite direction quickly. Packed up, I think the gods were telling me something. On arrival home my wife was not too happy with the muddy dog. Among other words she said have you seen yourself? Looked in the bathroom mirror. Face covered in moss and mud where I had brushed stuff off my face. Hair full of twigs and other stuff Id rather not think about. I looked like an ancient Celtic warrior on a bad hair day. Queen Boadicea would have been proud of me.

Happy to say though the drone is still working, appears undamaged.

To be continued?

Last edited:
My local pub asked if I could do an aerial shot for them. This is what I came up with. Hope you enjoy.

Some nice scenes in that - especially where you descend very close to the front.
I've had the same recently with two locals mainly wanting a couple of shots for their website or facebook/twitter which is hard to refuse even if technically commercial I guess.
I treated it as a good excuse to fly closer than I would otherwise without invitation.

Thanks 4wd for those comments. I have found a really good technique for shots like the above. Took me while to work how to do that sort of shot. Looks so easy but is it?

How did he do it? Some will guess straight away but it does take some thinking about. Just try this.

1. Fly to 1000+ feet so the copter is out of sight and sound.
2. Fly away from yourself for some distance.
3. Fly in a circle.
This is the hard bit.

4. Now fly directly above the house/building etc you want to film, remember you cannot even see the copter at this point. Also the gimble is pointing forward.
5. As you descend slowly turn the gimble so its pointing downwards. In the distant depths you will just about see your target building.
6. Descend to the magic spot in front of house/building.

I look forward to seeing who works it out first. ;)

Not posted for a while. Health and bad weather stopped me posting.

My local pub asked if I could do an aerial shot for them. This is what I came up with. Hope you enjoy.

:)
If you click the 'square' bottom left of the screen you get a much better, bigger picture.
Nicely done

Reactions: Frankc
Just try this.

1. Fly to 1000+ feet so the copter is out of sight and sound.
2. Fly away from yourself for some distance.
3. Fly in a circle.
This is the hard bit.

4. Now fly directly above the house/building etc you want to film, remember you cannot even see the copter at this point. Also the gimble is pointing forward.

I look forward to seeing who works it out first. ;)
I thought your video was kinda high. It appears you are suggesting to everyone it's ok to fly over 400' AGL. WHY?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jadabyanza24