Frank's Story

Just buy a spool of fishing line, tie one end to the P3 & have your assistant hold the spool as she flies away.
While trying to keep the fishing line out of the spinning props, as then, she is free as a bird! :p

Cracked it, and I dont mean the frame!

Well I flew this morning with a feeling that I had sorted my 'washed out' video problem. Previously my filming. They just did not look good. Very flat.

But long story short after my simple correction last night I filmed this morning. Came back home and checked the video filming ............... Excellent quality. Best yet! Film quality as good as anything I have seen on youtube etc.

Let me fill you in with a few details.

Last night I brought the rucksack into the house. Got everything set up, apart from the props to see If I could sort out the video problem for once and for all.

Half an hour in I noticed something so simple I will be kicking myself for the next week or two. The thing is if I tell you you will no doubt say "well thats b&&^^y obvious, no wonder you were getting washed out videos" So come on clever clogs. If its obvious tell me before I tell you :) What was I doing wrong? To save you typing there was nothing wrong with the camera lens or the RC settings. Not quite so obvious now is it? :p What had I done wrong? Really simple and now really obvious.

I thought someone might think that but if you check my wording you will see I said "nothing wrong with camera lens". No there is or was any protective film on it. But the solution is almost as simple as that.

This is a video I did of this mornings flight. Much better.

Dont forget to click on the cog, bottom right of the video, and up the quality to the top one. The sky really was that grey colour, cannot wait for the blue skies of summer. :)

Why my videos looked so washed out.

Ok. This was what was happening. I unpack. Set everything up. Start up. Look at the screen to see what sort of picture I was getting. Adjust exposure accordingly so I get a nice bright clear picture. Take off. Film. Land. View video and wonder why everything is so 'washed out'.

Last night. Set everything up, except props. Tried adjusting videos etc. Then I thought I would adjust the white balance just using a sheet of white A4. Looked at the picture through the NVIDIA Shield K1 very dark picture. hmmmmmmm thats not right. So went into settings of K1. Adjusted brightness manually. Vola! Nice, crisp, clean and clear.

What was happening. The shield too dim for outside conditions. I thought I was seeing a dark picture from the camera so I adjust exposure. That was what was giving me awful videos. I have since adjusted brightness on K1 to full. Exposure, right wheel, left alone. Lovely crisp clear videos now. Simple eh? Adjust the brightness of the viewing screen. Daft isnt it?

Why my videos looked so washed out.

Ok. This was what was happening. I unpack. Set everything up. Start up. Look at the screen to see what sort of picture I was getting. Adjust exposure accordingly so I get a nice bright clear picture. Take off. Film. Land. View video and wonder why everything is so 'washed out'.

Last night. Set everything up, except props. Tried adjusting videos etc. Then I thought I would adjust the white balance just using a sheet of white A4. Looked at the picture through the NVIDIA Shield K1 very dark picture. hmmmmmmm thats not right. So went into settings of K1. Adjusted brightness manually. Vola! Nice, crisp, clean and clear.

What was happening. The shield too dim for outside conditions. I thought I was seeing a dark picture from the camera so I adjust exposure. That was what was giving me awful videos. I have since adjusted brightness on K1 to full. Exposure, right wheel, left alone. Lovely crisp clear videos now. Simple eh? Adjust the brightness of the viewing screen. Daft isnt it?
Leaving Autoexposure ON will also prevent the screen brightness from inflencing your perception. It's pretty accurate as a baseline, as is using the Histogram, once you turn it on in the Camera Settings.

At least you weren't putting on ND filters, like another newbie, to correct for the "overexposure". :p

Last edited:
Oh I have tried filters too. But that did not seem to help. Now that I have turned up the brightness of the NVIADIA Shield to full there should be no more problems. As you said it was a case of perception. If you look at a screen and what you are seeing is dark the natural thing to do is bring up the brightness. Get a good clear picture. Thinking that this was what was going to result in a good video. Where I was going wrong was I turned up the picture brightness, not the viewing screen. So that gives rise to another........

Franks Tip.

If the picture your seeing through your Tablet is dark do not assume that that is what is coming from your camera. Check the actual viewing device/phone/tablet etc your using is turned up to full brightness for viewing outdoors first. Not like I did. Changing the white balance, exposure etc. It took me two months to find out what I was doing wrong.

Oh I have tried filters too. But that did not seem to help. Now that I have turned up the brightness of the NVIADIA Shield to full there should be no more problems. As you said it was a case of perception. If you look at a screen and what you are seeing is dark the natural thing to do is bring up the brightness. Get a good clear picture. Thinking that this was what was going to result in a good video. Where I was going wrong was I turned up the picture brightness, not the viewing screen. So that gives rise to another........

Franks Tip.

If the picture your seeing through your Tablet is dark do not assume that that is what is coming from your camera. Check the actual viewing device/phone/tablet etc your using is turned up to full brightness for viewing outdoors first. Not like I did. Changing the white balance, exposure etc. It took me two months to find out what I was doing wrong.
Use the histogram, instead, to determine accurate exposure, keeping the mountains completely inside the edges of the frame, because the histogram is independent of your screen brightness. By turning the brightness of the screen to either extreme will give you misleading results. Your videos may now be underexposed, because you have the screen too bright.

I also took this photo on a fly upto the local 8th century church down the road from me. Did not get closer as the DJI kept saying video signal lost.

230316HQLittle Malvern Court (1).png

This was the simple thing I had to do to get it back to normal.

Look at the pale blue EV indication near top right of screen, it shows +1.7 which is very high.
Changing the tablet brightness is something of a red herring (though it wants to be on max outside)
The crucial thing is that EV in blue.
Whether you use auto or manual it usually wants to be on or near 0.0.
I actually prefer it on -0.3 or -0.7 even as low as -1.0 sometimes as I hate to see washed out skies, and it's relatively easy to brighten the darker land with levels.
If you are shooting late like sunset you might go lower still or it will be trying to make the low-light scene like daylight.
The histogram can be kept on screen and is also helpful.

Reactions: Frankc
I totally agree. :) I had raised it before adjusting the screens brightness, but did not re-adjust it. Well spotted.

The sky though was very gray slate coloured. Just waiting for those lovely blue skies to return though as it Easter weekend coming up there is little chance of that. :)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
finestheatingn