Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

FPV interference

Discussion in 'Phantom 2 Help' started by glennbalsam, Feb 20, 2014.

1. glennbalsam

Had my P2 for about 5 weeks now and I'm only on my 5th flight because I live in UK and its blowing a perfect storm almost everyday!
    So frustrating, Anyhow my last flight was a few days ago and using the FPV I noticed it was cracking up almost as soon as it was airborne. Both my ariels are up so would it make a difference if they were both pointed down? Tried to search on here but nothing has been written yet so I must be a special case!
    Any ideas would be much appreciated

2. 2trickpony

What FPV setup have you got?

3. davemcm

is there a power (LC) filter before the transmitter? How are you powering the transmitter?

4. glennbalsam

I have the RS and TS 832. Ts 832 powered by the P2 and the RS powered by a 2,2 Lipo battery.Not sure about the screen but says on the back 7-8" ground station HD monitor. res-800x480 pixel colour system pal/ntsc/secam operating voltage 12v consumption 7w
    Thats about all i can tell you ?

5. FangsCPO

Here's what I did for my FPV system since I was having the same issues. I placed a grip of duct tape on the back of my screen and for me, also pointing down the antennas on my monitor got rid of the interfereance. How did I discover this, I took off once day and immediately, about 5m off the ground the screen got fuzzy. I placed my hand between the radios antenna and my FPF screen and I got a clear picture immediately. So for me, that was the mystery. I found it odd since I'm using a Spektrum DX7s and my FPV is a 5.8GHz. I thought there would be no interferance since the radio is a 2.4GHz. You just never know. Good Luck!

6. glennbalsam

Ok thanks I'll give it a try.

7. rockandice

@ davemcm: could you elaborate on what a power (lc)filter is?
    @ fangscpo: could you post a picture of what you did with the duct tape? I think that each of you have options that could help me out with my FPV issues, I just need a bit more clarification of your solutions.
    Thank you,

8. davemcm

An LC filter is a filter that goes inbetween the power supply and the vtx so that there is no noise (interference) from the motors / esc's being powered by the same supply (quadcopter battery). My fatshark kit came with one, but i don't use it, doesn't seem to make a difference to me, i do not have any interference unless i fly behind something or out of normal range...

More Info: http://www.fpvuk.org/how-tos/lc-filters/

9. rockandice

Thank you dave, after I posted I did an internet search and found the same information. I will be trying this out tomorrow. Thanks again for your help!

10. FangsCPO

Here's what I did to reduce the amount of interference which was causing my FPV screen to go fuzzy almost immediately after taking off. It's not pretty but if you use black duct tape, it doesn't look as bad.

I simply added a few layers of duct tape. I also have to point my antennas down like in the 2nd photo.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. joeflyer

This is the filter I'm using: http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__ ... stems.html

I power my AV Tx using the auxiliary power lead on the Phantom circuit board. I didn't know if that was already filtered or not, so I added in the filter just in case. I get no interference from the Phantom.

12. FangsCPO

That would be perfect but I don't have a shared battery as my power supply. As you can see, my radio and monitor have their own power supply. So far, my fix is still working. On a few occasions I've had to adjust my antennas but aside from that, all is good.