FPV bosscam RX-LCD 5802 and emmersion compatibility

QYV said:
fastmovn1 said:
Try channel 1 on the transmitter... channels 1 and 2 are over 100mW stronger than the upper channels
QYV,I was curious as to why the difference in output power from lower to higher channels so I emailed immersion customer support asking them if it was the case and why, here is their reply. " No I can not tell you that. There might be a slight difference between channels but 100mW would be very strange." So I'm thinking its prob not true at least for this transmitter..

fastmovn1 said:
QYV said:
fastmovn1 said:
Try channel 1 on the transmitter... channels 1 and 2 are over 100mW stronger than the upper channels
QYV,I was curious as to why the difference in output power from lower to higher channels so I emailed immersion customer support asking them if it was the case and why, here is their reply. " No I can not tell you that. There might be a slight difference between channels but 100mW would be very strange." So I'm thinking its prob not true at least for this transmitter..

I'm not surprised by their response, but there is a chart floating around that contains the actual outputs of 8 channels for the immersion and various Boscam transmitters that were tested by end users, not the factory. That is probably the analysis that QYV's referencing.

Many people have supported the results but I doubt the companies recognize it.

yes I was referring to this chart which was independently developed by some guys on another forum measuring actual output from transmitters
5jga.jpg

I am in the same boat. I am struggling with the exact same equipment to get beyond 600m. I have the same monitor and transmitter. Same antennas as the OP, with the exception that my transmitter antenna is the previous version (as seen in KraigNC post a few above this). The transmitter is on Channel 1. I'm in Diversity mode on the monitor. I find A1 the best ... 600m in wide open corn fields with no structures, trees, power lines, or any other obstruction even close by ... that is 200' off the deck as well. On A7 I get a couple hundred meters at best. 600m is fine and all but I want to extend my range for inspecting my ag fields when can be almost 1 mile in length if at all possible.

Right now, my transmitter antenna is pointed down similar to KraigNC only on the opposite hand side when looking at the back of the quad as seen in his photo.

All I can think is that it is 1) too close to the compass and 2) it is getting some type of rear shadow effect from the gimbal set up.

I will try to re-position it to go off the opposite side (away from the compass) and if at all possible get it out and away more like the OP has found. Unfortunately the 90 degree antenna fitting limits how far out it can extend.

newday: KraigNC has his on the proper side... if you did the same thing but on the opposite side of the phantom belly, you're right next to the compass and you don't really want that. however that shouldn't be affecting your FPV range.

I can't track down what antennas you mean... do you have the FPVLR kit or just a pair of omnidirectionals? I guess what I'm really asking is, do you have a helix on the receiver?

and to confirm, you have a ImmersionRC 600mW transmitter, and the RX-LCD5802 receiver?

Yes I have the $110 kit. http://fpvlr.com/shop/index.php?route=p ... duct_id=97

The OP looks to have the newer $120 kit with the improved transmitter antenna. http://fpvlr.com/shop/index.php?route=p ... uct_id=119

I would have bought the $120 kit but it came out about a week after I bought the $110 kit.

Yes I have the same ImmersionRC 600 transmitter and the Boscam 5802 that the OP has, only black, not white. I also have a Mini iOSD and the PnP cable system.

I have the exact pinwheel and helix on my Boscam 5802 that the OP has in his photos. I've tried switching them on the Boscam and see no difference if one is on the A spot vs the B spot. I try to keep the helix pointed at the Phantom and I have the pinwheel turned up just as he shows in this photos.

The transmitter antenna is the one that is shown in KraigNC photo, just on the opposite side of the back (basically straight down from the battery pack power button), so it is much closer to the antenna.

I've been very pleased with the equipment and 600m is impressive, but I should (and want) be able to go further in FPV. At my house I own 78 acres and have one stretch that I can fly almost 1000 yards unobstructed. I'd like to at least be able to get that distance and go further if possible. The other day when I hit 600 meters the drop in the video feed was almost immediate. I picked up a bit of heavy static in the feed out to around 630 or so meters, then I flipped to Home Mode to pull me back to within video feed range and then flew it all the way back using the monitor.

Tonight I am going to move the transmitter antenna to the other side as far out as I can get it and try that. Might not fly tonight as it is bitter cold here.

you're right, 600m is impressive but that should be the performance you get from only the pinwheel on the receiver. the helix is a multi-kilometer antenna for sure. I've been almost 2km and my transmitter is less wattage.

for troubleshooting purposes, have you tried installing ONLY the helix, say in antenna A, change your source to the A input (not diversity) and see what your performance is like?

I really don't think your transmitter is the problem... certainly not simply it's placement. moving it away from the compass is a good thing, but I feel like your issue is on the receiver side not the transmit side.

Will do tonight.

OK ... here is my current setup. Essentially the same as the OP. Running the same channels and getting in the 600m range. I took it flying tonight as seen here. I was wrong on the receiver channel. It is running Diversity channel A-7. D-7 was close but not as good as A-7. Anyway. At around 450 meters I started getting lines that would come and go. At 600m it is like a wall of static. I turned it around and headed straight back and picked up video feed again somewhere in the 500 meter range.

So this is how I changed the configuration tonight. It got dark before I had a chance to go flying. I will have to test it in a couple days as we have some bad weather moving in tomorrow.

You can see, I flipped the transmitter the other way and got it as far out as possible. I am hoping this improves things.

Newdayoutdoors, what is your altitude when you are 600m out, I found that the farther I go out I need to climb also to keep the signal strong. I was looking thru the chart for the bosscam and see that D1 is 5740 and that is the immersion channel 1 freq. I get a better signal a little off of my target freq. but you are using A1 which is 5865mhz way away from where you should be. The other thing I noticed is your helical is on channel B of the Bosscam, I tried mine that way and my receiver stayed on channel A even though I had the helical on B and the range was bad, even if I manually selected B it seemed it was not better, So when I switched my helical back to the A channel it had great range, I even tried to take the ant off the A side and put the helical on B and the receiver still stayed on A! It seems kraigNC said his receiver would seldom move to B also.. Try this Put the helical on A and fly to your 600m until it snows out and climb to see if you get it back, if not, in the GPS mode it will stay where its at (I'm sure you know that) try to switch through all the channels to see if you get a clear one then go further to see how far you can get. these are the things I did to find my place and I got to 1600m!!

I see in another post you said it was A1 that seems right as mine is the same but different channel of course , I'd still switch the helical to the A channel and see, I know with mine I had that above stated issue :p

QYV said:
yes I was referring to this chart which was independently developed by some guys on another forum measuring actual output from transmitters
5jga.jpg
QYV, Thanks for posting the chart, I can say my curiosity has gotten the best of me now! I think when the weather warms a bit I'm gonna try to move the channel and see if I can go farther, its seems its my luck that the channel I pick just happens to be the lowest of the bunch..

fastmovn1 said:
Newdayoutdoors, what is your altitude when you are 600m out, I found that the farther I go out I need to climb also to keep the signal strong.

200' up. That is the ceiling that I have had it set at. Tonight after I made changes to the transmitter location, I cranked the ceiling up to 325'. When the weather clears in a couple of days I will fly higher and play with switching the receiver antennas as well as some other channel settings. The weather has me shut down for a few days here in northeast Indiana.

I tried using Channel A1 on my LCD 5802 to see if the reception was better but in my case I thought it was actually a little worse so I put it back to D7. Also, My Helical is on the B side but my experience has been that LCD 5802 switches from A to B almost immediately. I could move the Helical to A. Do people find they get better reception with the Helical on A?

I also am not happy with the reception when the P2 is facing me. (The antenna is away from me) I'm guessing this is because the H3-3D is in the way. I'm thinking I may get better reception if I mount the transmitter out the side with the antenna pointing down. Have other people found this to be true?

you guys keep talking about this channel or that channel... are you matching frequencies with the IRC? channels are frequencies, so whatever frequency/channel you set on the transmitter, simply find that channel on the receiver and tune to it. don't search.

also fwiw, I only ever run the helix antenna in port A of the LCD5802 and have it on the A input, I don't use diversity anymore

QYV said:
you guys keep talking about this channel or that channel... are you matching frequencies with the IRC? channels are frequencies, so whatever frequency/channel you set on the transmitter, simply find that channel on the receiver and tune to it. don't search.

The reason I have suggested that is because I have found in my case that the channel I am on with my transmitter and the exact channel freq. on the receiver is horrible and the distance is short. My transmitter is 5860mhz or channel 7 and the channel that I receive the best and has the longest distance is A1 and is 5865mhz. or channel1 on the LCD I fully understand the frequency match, however in my case it doesn't work as good, any idea why? I have tried both only to find A1 works better.

cool... I was simply trying to help, many folks don't realize the actual frequencies and just auto-scan for channels and sometimes the receiver finds the wrong channel... often times it'll find a ghost signal on an adjacent channel

QYV said:
I only ever run the helix antenna in port A of the LCD5802 and have it on the A input, I don't use diversity anymore
Hey QYV, have you ever tested if your diversity works well? the reason I ask is because of the test on mine I did, I put my helical on B and even selected it tuned to A1 and D7 for that matter and it had a bad signal..no distance at all. Aprx 300M. but I put it back on A and all is good. What I'm getting at is, could there be a issue with the bosscam B side of these units?

fastmovn1 said:
Hey QYV, have you ever tested if your diversity works well? the reason I ask is because of the test on mine I did, I put my helical on B and even selected it tuned to A1 and D7 for that matter and it had a bad signal..no distance at all. Aprx 300M. but I put it back on A and all is good. What I'm getting at is, could there be a issue with the bosscam B side of these units?

back when I first started, indeed I ran the pinwheel on A and the helix on B, and I noticed that antenna A was basically never used, it was always on the helix... so pretty quickly I just stopped bothering to carry around and hook up the Rx pinwheel. Once I started running only 1 antenna, I figured why run the receiver in diversity.

I'm not really flying right now since it's so cold but I'll try to test B side, I feel like it worked fine before but it's been a long time.

I lose track when people talk about what channels they're on, like you talk about A1 or D7 or "back on A" do you mean channel bank or input? Tx or Rx? it'd be easier (for me) if people would just use the frequency... like my transmitter is on X frequency, so your receiver needs to be on X frequency... that way it doesn't matter what brand, channel bank or channel. What's really tripping me out is people saying that non-matching frequencies work better I feel like someone tried to tell me that the other day heh.

I run my TS353 on channel 1 which is 5705, so I run my RX-LCD5802 on (checks chart) C-1, which is 5705. I don't even get signal on any other channel much less BETTER signal heh.

so, which transmitter do you have (ImmersionRC600 right?) and which channel is it on?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor