FPV advice i own my P2 and new at this

Reaction score
I just want to introduce myself. I'm chris i had a P2 for about 5 months now (Which i love) i have a H3-3D gimbal i had installed seems to work great so far. But I'm looking to get a FPV with whole setup etc. and need some advice or even links to packages that will be easy to install and get the best range for my P2. I have watch sooooo many videos on different ones and install videos and seems like the more i search the more confused i get on deciding what one to get. It seems i just want to make sure i get the right package that will work and not so hard to install. if i can stay away from soldiering would be nice but i could do it if possible. Thanks in advance.
Chris
Csst

hey Chris, yea kinda what Mike said this is probably the single most discussed topic in this forum and we kind of get sick of regurgitating the same info over and over.

As long as you can handle opening up the Phantom and plugging a few things into the right places (no soldering) you can add an entire fully functional FPV system to your Phantom in about an hour and with some better equipment. I'm going to guesstimate the prices (in USD), but here are the basics, you can find actual product links allll over this forum

ImmersionRC 600mW transmitter - 70
IRC plug and play cable from firstpersonview.com - 25
DJI iOSD Mini - 80
Boscam RX-LCD5802 display - 160
display charger - 20
display RC mount - there are many but this one is the best in my and and many others opinion - 25
FPVLR 3 antenna bundle (1 transmit (pinwheel), 2 receive (pinwheel + helix) $110

so including the best most premium antennas you can get, I just built your entire FPV system for ~490 AND included better transmitter and display mount, and way better antennas than your bundle :)

Thank you so much for the reply.. I'll definitely look into it. Is this setup hard to setup?

Sorry i don;t mean to be a pain i looked on amazon for most of the items. I did find some but not everything. Can you send link to items? also are there videos on how to install it?

Thanks again

QYV said:
hey Chris, yea kinda what Mike said this is probably the single most discussed topic in this forum and we kind of get sick of regurgitating the same info over and over.

As long as you can handle opening up the Phantom and plugging a few things into the right places (no soldering) you can add an entire fully functional FPV system to your Phantom in about an hour and with some better equipment. I'm going to guesstimate the prices (in USD), but here are the basics, you can find actual product links allll over this forum

DJI iOSD Mini - 80
display charger - 20
display RC mount - there are many but this one is the best in my and and many others opinion - 25
FPVLR 3 antenna bundle (1 transmit (pinwheel), 2 receive (pinwheel + helix) $110

so including the best most premium antennas you can get, I just built your entire FPV system for ~490 AND included better transmitter and display mount, and way better antennas than your bundle :)

I was wondering if this is all the right stuff just want to make sure this is everything i need? also are there videos that will help with the install? I think i can do it would just like to see some videos on how too>? thanks again

Is this the ImmersionRC 600mW transmitter
http://www.amazon.com/Quality-Immersion ... ransmitter

Is this the Plug and play cable?
http://www.firstpersonview.com/cables/p ... ransmitter

Is this the DJI iOSD Mini
http://www.amazon.com/DJI-Screen-Displa ... +iOSD+Mini

Boscam RX-LCD5802 display
http://www.amazon.com/Synix-RX-LCD5802- ... D4MTVEAP1W

display RC mount
http://www.raveaerialvideo.com/product/ ... tor-mount/

FPVLR 3 antenna bundle (1 transmit (pinwheel), 2 receive (pinwheel + helix)
http://fpvlr.com/shop/index.php?route=p ... uct_id=106

see I knew you could do it :) The only thing I suggest is you're paying $25 too much for that transmitter from Amazon. Are you aware of the shopping tab on google? I don't feel like you're posted links to the lowest lowest prices, maybe you just prefer amazon that's cool but if you simply google "immersionrc 600mw" and check the shopping tab, you'll find it for $69.99 with free shipping from GetFPV instead of $90 + 5 ship from amazon.

Same for the display its like $5 cheaper on banggood.com. don't forget it doesn't come with a power supply (neither does the Black Pearl) so you have to buy one separate, but those are super easy you can get that domestic, even at a place like Radio Shack for very cheap.

You will want a lanyard of some sort for the RC since it's going to be a bit heavy with the display mounted

Another important thing to note: I think FPVLR is backed up a few weeks due to his increasing popularity but that shouldn't matter since you're shipping stuff from China/HK anyway. Did you notice the line in your link that says
"For pilots using ImmersionRC transmitters go here instead and select sma-male connector option" ?

that's you mate. ImmersionRC transmitter, remember? :) make sure you select the correct option. I would also contact Tony via the sales at fpvlr email after you place your order, confirm the order number and your equipment (IRC 600mW, Boscam RX-LCD5802) so you get the right connectors. I would also suggest you request straight connectors on both receiver antennas.

I even found you a great video, again with my super secret magic tool called Google when I searched for "youtube firstpersonview.com cable" :) he's using goggles instead of a display but the receiver part really isn't important. The video shows you how to move the can-bus port up inside the shell for an internal iOSD Mini install (remember to update the firmware before you close the shell back) as well as run all the cables. take heed of his warnings about never turning on a transmitter without an antenna attached!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ido6peKTKKo

How much do you understand the different channels (frequencies) used in 5.8Ghz FPV? You're going to have to set a channel on the transmitter I think there's 7 or 8 options, then simply tune the receiver into the proper channel. We can cover that later that's pretty much the last step

QYV said:
see I knew you could do it :) The only thing I suggest is you're paying $25 too much for that transmitter from Amazon. Are you aware of the shopping tab on google? I don't feel like you're posted links to the lowest lowest prices, maybe you just prefer amazon that's cool but if you simply google "immersionrc 600mw" and check the shopping tab, you'll find it for $69.99 with free shipping from GetFPV instead of $90 + 5 ship from amazon.

Same for the display its like $5 cheaper on banggood.com. don't forget it doesn't come with a power supply (neither does the Black Pearl) so you have to buy one separate, but those are super easy you can get that domestic, even at a place like Radio Shack for very cheap.

You will want a lanyard of some sort for the RC since it's going to be a bit heavy with the display mounted

Another important thing to note: I think FPVLR is backed up a few weeks due to his increasing popularity but that shouldn't matter since you're shipping stuff from China/HK anyway. Did you notice the line in your link that says
"For pilots using ImmersionRC transmitters go here instead and select sma-male connector option" ?

that's you mate. ImmersionRC transmitter, remember? :) make sure you select the correct option. I would also contact Tony via the sales at fpvlr email after you place your order, confirm the order number and your equipment (IRC 600mW, Boscam RX-LCD5802) so you get the right connectors. I would also suggest you request straight connectors on both receiver antennas.

I even found you a great video, again with my super secret magic tool called Google when I searched for "youtube firstpersonview.com cable" :) he's using goggles instead of a display but the receiver part really isn't important. The video shows you how to move the can-bus port up inside the shell for an internal iOSD Mini install (remember to update the firmware before you close the shell back) as well as run all the cables. take heed of his warnings about never turning on a transmitter without an antenna attached!

How much do you understand the different channels (frequencies) used in 5.8Ghz FPV? You're going to have to set a channel on the transmitter I think there's 7 or 8 options, then simply tune the receiver into the proper channel. We can cover that later that's pretty much the last step

Mate i can't thank you enough for all the information you have supplied me!! this will be me very first FPV install ever!! So its all really new to me.. quite frankly I'm kinda clueless that why I'll need all the videos and tips i can get!! I will check out the other prices out. At least i have a good start and thanks again for all your help !!i'll keep you posted on my progress and hopefully i can figure all this out.

I'm going to place my order soon. But another quick question would i need to buy a different remote to get more range for my Phantom 2? i have just the stock RC?

Csst said:
would i need to buy a different remote to get more range for my Phantom 2? i have just the stock RC?
The stock controller has pretty decent range in my experience. Wait and see how your FPV setup performs. If you find that your control link consistently drops before your video does, then you might consider looking into a long range radio/receiver.

Ok just placed everything today!! I'll keep you posted on whe it all comes in and results thank you again for all your help guys!!

FPVLR said:
QYV said:

Hi QYV,
right now we have 1 week backup. thanks again for your support.
TOny.

Ok just a quick question i received almost everything the only thing left I'm waiting for is the video monitor (its on its way) i hope this isn;t a dumb question but the 2 straight antennas do those go to the monitor and the larger one connect to the ImmersionRC 5.8GHz 600mw Audio / Video Transmitter ? also do you recommend a case that all this stuff will fit in?

Thanks again for all your help..

Csst said:
i hope this isn;t a dumb question but the 2 straight antennas do those go to the monitor and the larger one connect to the ImmersionRC 5.8GHz 600mw Audio / Video Transmitter ? also do you recommend a case that all this stuff will fit in?

Thanks again for all your help..
You have the FPVLR set? If so, the 3 leaf goes on the tx and the 4 leaf and helical go on the rx. The helical is for longer range and needs to be pointed at the Phantom for optimal performance.
As far as a case goes, I'd recommend one. It's nice to have everything in one place and makes it much easier for travel. I use a Pelican 1560 but there are others with precut foam made to fit Phantoms also available.

QYV said:

DJI iOSD Mini - 80
display charger - 20

Great info here. If you could however answer this for me. If I wanted to use goggles, instead of the screen, what needs to be added/removed from this list? P2 with a GoPro 3+ Black.

Mr Mufakka said:
Great info here. If you could however answer this for me. If I wanted to use goggles, instead of the screen, what needs to be added/removed from this list? P2 with a GoPro 3+ Black.

I'm not quite as knowledgeable about goggles but here is what I know:
Your transmitted FPV signal from the Phantom can be received by any and all devices in range that can receive those frequencies.
Typically a display will have a 5.8Ghz receiver built in, so you just have to make sure it received the proper frequency
There are goggles with 5.8ghz receiver built in, such as these Skyzone goggles but these specific goggles are NOT compatible with the ImmersionRC frequencies. I don't know if there are any goggles which receive ImmersionRC frequency and have a receiver built in... there may be I just don't know.

Many goggles do NOT have a built-in receiver so you would need a separate receiver module and then you connect an AV cable to whatever goggles you have. I think you also would then need a battery (or some way) to power the receiver, so that's a little more complicated.

If you haven't ordered all your FPV equipment yet, check out this post I just made today in which I link a plug-and-play cable for Boscam style transmitter and post lowest prices on many FPV components. If you haven't bought your transmitter yet, you could go with the TS352 and those aforementioned Skyzone goggles and avoid some of the aforementioned hassle of having separate receiver/battery

Thank you all so much for your help.. Just a few other questions. The install went flawless no issues at all. Now just want to make sure the antennas are installed properly. sorry about the blurry picture but does this look correct the picture seem to work fine no issues? Also is it normal for the ImmersionRC 5.8GHz 600mw Audio / Video Transmitter to get really really warm when its turned on? (I always make sure the antenna connected before turning it on) Also should i leave the plastic film on the ImmersionRC 5.8GHz 600mw Audio / Video Transmitter that's wrap around it or would you recommend taking it off? Also haven't tested it out yet but i made sure to update the ISOD Mini to lastest FW and i notice on the screen the height and distance when i just lift it up with my hand doesn't seem to change onscreen? is this normal? just says

Thanks again for all your help

Attachments

• 20140928_202905.jpeg
    20140928_202905.jpeg
    850.8 KB · Views: 407
  • 20140928_204110.jpeg
    20140928_204110.jpeg
    830.2 KB · Views: 414
The helical goes on either one of the sides of the monitor. A pinwheel goes on the transmitter of the quad.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1411967141072.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1411967141072.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 322

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl