FOV, how does it work?

Reaction score
If you change the FOV (Field of View), do you change the lens mechanical or is it just a software adjustment?

It's done in software. The camera's sensor captures many more pixels than required for a 1080p image. So, when the field-of-view is wide, it uses every nth pixel. For a narrower FOV, it uses pixels that are closer together. So, with the 90 degree FOV, it's gathering the image from the pixels closer to the center of the sensor. For wider fields-of-view, it uses pixels spread more across the sensor and farther from the center.

-- Roger

But how do you change FOV? is it just the video settings? Not available for photos?

Sledge said:
But how do you change FOV? is it just the video settings? Not available for photos?

It's a setting only for video. Photos always use the entire sensor, so there's no way for the camera to change it without dropping the resolution of the image.

-- Roger

Thanks.
So what I understand from your answer, it is not possible to make a high res. picture without the ridiculous fish-eye effect?
That's too bad. I think I need another camera :oops:

spacelynx said:
Thanks.
So what I understand from your answer, it is not possible to make a high res. picture without the ridiculous fish-eye effect?
That's too bad. I think I need another camera :oops:

It's easy to "fix it in post" with a program like Photoshop:

There are two quick ways in Photoshop to fix it. The fastest is to use the "Lens Correction" feature. See:

http://www.dji.com/adobe-has-released-a ... on-camera/

That works, but I only use it for quick fixes since it doesn't seem to work just right if the image is tilted.

The other way is to use the "Adaptive Wide Angle" filter. See:

http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/ ... ilter.html

I like the results from the "Adaptive Wide Angle" filter better, but it's more work.

Other photo editing programs should have similar tools that you can use. Or, you can simply use the "Crop" tool to cut out a section from near the center of the image. The "warp" effect is greater near the edges of the image, so by cropping the image, you reduce the effect.

-- Roger

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl