Flying over water

Reaction score
How many of you fly over water? I live in Miami Beach and I am fly mainly in land but I am tempted to fly out pass the docks and experiment but scared! Any precautions you guys take when flying over lakes and such?

With what we know to date, I'd say your most important criteria are:

1) You have a proven reliable PV SmartBattery to use (as in you've flown it many times w/o issue)
2) You have more than enough GPS satellites to prevent triggering an auto-landing (6 or more stable sat's)

Or just #1 and fly in non-GPS mode or ATTI mode. I've seen Phantom-1 videos like you're describing and they're awesome to watch!

iDrone

iDrone said:
With what we know to date, I'd say your most important criteria are:

1) You have a proven reliable PV SmartBattery to use (as in you've flown it many times w/o issue)
2) You have more than enough GPS satellites to prevent triggering an auto-landing (6 or more stable sat's)

iDrone

This is good info! Thanks!

Nice! Love the takeoff @1:40 & up over the bank. Dunno what it is about flying over water, the reflections of the clouds, limitless space, weightlessness, speed? Whatever it is, it's all very exhilarating. Thanks for posting it.

iDrone

I fly about 80% over water.
The other 20% is either the road up to my house or the little garden / jetty I have at the back of my house.

The nice thing is that if it does go down you do not have to find it back as it's dead anyway.

Since day one, my p2v has been so rock solid that I've had nothing but confidence with it. I fly over water pretty much daily, and really enjoy it, though some thoughts of what if? occasionally slip into my head. I tend to fly at the beach or over the entrance to a Marina so I get good shots of boats coming and going. When people ask me about the p2v they often ask "aren't I concerned over water", my default answer has quickly become, "if something happens unexpectedly, the worst that's going to happen if my craft will die. If over land, I could hurt someone , or someone else's property". Since I'm in a major city, its not convenient for me to make it out to an open area on any regular basis, especially since I fly daily.

I think I did convince myself that it may be worth it to dive in and swim for it, if it takes a drink though.

Rich

Reactions: Mario_SB
Hi Byroman

Yeah that is very nice at 1:40 flying so close to the water, looks great. How far from the water are the PV2?

Richhealth said:
When people ask me about the p2v they often ask "aren't I concerned over water", my default answer has quickly become, "if something happens unexpectedly, the worst that's going to happen if my craft will die. If over land, I could hurt someone , or someone else's property".

Rich

That's a good motto to remember when flying over water.

I took mine out to the middle of the River Thames on one of my early flights when I got it, just to get the "over water" thing out of my system (video is one of those in the link below - quality not great, but like I said it was early days so not the smoothest of flying cameras then).

There's certainly a good pucker factor when you first take it over water, but you have to remember the aircraft doesn't know it's over the drink, only you do! I've messed about near or over rivers a bit since then but not over the sea/at a beach - just watch out for stronger breezes and make sure you don't set yourself up for a long return fighting the wind all the way. Factor in the wind into your calculations about when you should head back to dry land to keep plenty of power in reserve. One advantage is that there's usually a sea breeze blowing on shore so that should help get you back - plus you can use atti mode for some smoother tracking shots that way.

Oh and where you are watch out for pelicans! ;)

Its all in the mind really and if you can control your fears then its not going to be a problem.

There is no more chance of a crash over water than there is over land in fact its probably a lot safer as their are no obstacles to hit. Also there is much less risk of injury or damage to others over water than land.

I was always told to worry about the things that are within your control and forget about those that are not. You are responsible for setting the device up properly, being aware of site hazards, flying it well and within your limits, keeping yourself and others safe.

There is nothing you can do about a power failure or serious mechanical malfunction so don't even bother about them. Its just wasted effort.

Thanks for the comments on my video :) . The part at 1:40 skimming the water was a lot of fun. The PV was actually about 3 feet off the surface...I was really surprised it looked so close in the video. Its a cool effect settling in and watching their rotor wash ripple out!
This is my only water video so far, but I do have some others on my YouTube channel that were fun to make...mostly shot with my local flying club. Check 'em out!

Btw... Shrimpfarmer's thoughts above are spot on! Just have fun.

After two or three weeks of trouble-free flights I took it out over the water for the first time:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_s33IF6wYY[/youtube]

(apologies, I may have posted this one on the "videos" thread a few weeks ago)

The thinking that went into the decision to head out over water: 1) I haven't had any control problems that could lead to a crash and 2) after weeks of practice flights and some moderately aggressive maneuvers, I've never once crashed or come close to clipping the turf. Not crashing into water is pretty much the same as not crashing into grass. I just added a few more feet of altitude for a margin of error and kept reminding myself that you don't pull back on the stick to go up ;-)

I recommend adding some sort of foam float to the legs for extra security so if your phantom makes a water landing it will stay afloat. The next trick will be swimming out to get it.

BenDronePilot said:
I recommend adding some sort of foam float to the legs for extra security so if your phantom makes a water landing it will stay afloat. The next trick will be swimming out to get it.

I actually have thought about (and Im sure someone will invent it later) if anybody have invented some kind of landing gear for the phantom or other UAV's so you actually can land and take of from the water?
Could be great :cool:

Klaus said:
BenDronePilot said:

I actually have thought about (and Im sure someone will invent it later) if anybody have invented some kind of landing gear for the phantom or other UAV's so you actually can land and take of from the water?

It is a great idea. The problem with that and prop guards is that they will make the phantom more susceptible to wind and less aerodynamic. I think the perfect accessory would be a set of floats that can be used sporadicly and install easy. Also, the distance between the PV camera and the ground is very minimal, if you land a little hard and the floats are not tall enough the camera will probably submerge.

amrflyingdude said:
Klaus said:
BenDronePilot said:
if you land a little hard and the floats are not tall enough the camera will probably submerge.

I agree those floats will need to be really big. Then you have less control in the air and the engines have to work harder. Landing on water may be possible if your really good but taking off will probably end in tears. Those floats will create some nice suction that you will have to break.

If your flying over fresh water then maybe floats would allow you to salvage some parts from the phantom if it were to get submerged. The electrics are probably a right off though. My earlier comment of its probably safer flying over water because their are less objects becomes null and void if your going to attempt a landing of course. I think then its almost suicidal.

I must admit though I look on my phantom as being nothing more than a camera platform to get the lens to previously inaccessable places. They are not really that much fun to fly in comparison to an aeroplane or helicopter. I think mine is more likely to be used to grab the shots I want and then gentle circuits or hovering to reduce the battery to storage levels.

Shrimpfarmer said:
I agree those floats will need to be really big. Then you have less control in the air and the engines have to work harder. Landing on water may be possible if your really good but taking off will probably end in tears. Those floats will create some nice suction that you will have to break.

If your flying over fresh water then maybe floats would allow you to salvage some parts from the phantom if it were to get submerged. The electrics are probably a right off though. My earlier comment of its probably safer flying over water because their are less objects becomes null and void if your going to attempt a landing of course. I think then its almost suicidal.

Probably not the most aerodynamic, but this guys seems to be able to land and take off in water. Obviously he's using the standard GoPro watertight housing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRzaagd-LFo

Klaus said:
BenDronePilot said:

Yes, foam floats added to a DJI Phantom is nothing new and has been done in varying forms.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl