Flying over houses

So I could fly over homes and not get in trouble?

I'll assume that you are talking about recreational flying and are located in the United States.

The FAA guidelines are fairly simple. If you follow them then you will not get into trouble with the FAA.

If you fly over private property then you may, or may not, annoy the residents, depending on how high you fly and what you do. If annoyed, they may complain to you, call the police, shoot down your UAV, or any number of other responses. Do any of those count as getting in trouble?

Reactions: WBN3 and debauch
If anyone attempts to shoot or bring down your drone it's equivalent to them shooting a commercial airplane, 20years prison time iirc

I wasn't commenting on the legality of such actions - just listing examples of reported responses by annoyed residents.

Some thoughts (applying to the US)

There have been some state-by-state rulings on the authority a land owner has on the airspace above their property. There have been some states that recognize a landowner only has the authority to control the airspace up to the height of the tallest structure on their property. There have been other rulings that state the owner's property rights go to the lowest point of class G airspace (providing their location is in class G airspace). There is also consideration for "right of passage' where an air vehicle may pass over private property for the sake of casual navigation. We could beat this up in many way but IMO I recommend;

1. Avoid flying over anyone's house or private property.
2. Operate in an area where there are no local ordinances prohibiting you from flying your drone.
3. Be prepared to "politely" counter any challenge by an uninformed individual and in some cases law enforcement.
4. Walk away from confrontation.
5. Be considerate to your neighbors.

I've been confronted twice - both time using "Irish diplomacy" I sent both parties on their way, one happy and educated, the other perplexed but understanding that I had a right to fly my drone.

There have been some state-by-state rulings on the authority a land owner has on the airspace above their property. There have been some states that recognize a landowner only has the authority to control the airspace up to the height of the tallest structure on their property. There have been other rulings that state the owner's property rights go to the lowest point of class G airspace (providing their location is in class G airspace). There is also consideration for "right of passage' where an air vehicle may pass over private property for the sake of casual navigation. We could beat this up in many way but IMO I recommend;

2. Operate in an area where there are no local ordinances prohibiting you from flying your drone.
3. Be prepared to "politely" counter any challenge by an uninformed individual and in some cases law enforcement.

I've been confronted twice - both time using "Irish diplomacy" I sent both parties on their way, one happy and educated, the other perplexed but understanding that I had a right to fly my drone.

That doesn't seem to make sense - if a location is in Class G airspace then it starts at the surface.

Reactions: Ronald Reedy

I refrain from flying over private property where there is a reasonable expectation of privacy.

Reactions: macoman
That doesn't seem to make sense - if a location is in Class G airspace then it starts at the surface.
That's the interpretation of "local" authorities. I'm an FAA safety counselor. It took me an hour to try to explain the way the airspace system works to a local politician

Reactions: BigAl07
The rules in Canada just got a little more restricted , you can't fly 75 m within houses if I am reading it correctly....

Follow the basic safety rules below. Not doing so may put lives, aircraft and property at risk. If you fly where you are not allowed or choose not to follow any of the rules below, you could face fines of up to $3,000.

Do not fly your drone:

higher than 90 m above the ground

closer than 75 m from buildings, vehicles, vessels, animals, people/crowds

closer than nine km from the centre of an aerodrome (any airport, heliport, seaplane base or anywhere that aircraft take-off and land)

within controlled or restricted airspace

within nine km of a forest fire

where it could interfere with police or first responders

at night or in clouds

if you can’t keep it in sight at all times

if you are not within 500 m of your drone

if your name, address, and telephone number are not clearly marked on your drone.

The rules in Canada just got a little more restricted
closer than 75 m from buildings, vehicles, vessels, animals, people/crowds

Ha ha, 75 meters from animals, that's priceless! How will you stop a bird, a fly, a gnat or a mosquito to enter the 75 m perimeter around the drone? And what will you do if a field mouse or hedgehog scurries by, perform an emergency CSC? Jeez, what were they smoking???

If anyone attempts to shoot or bring down your drone it's equivalent to them shooting a commercial airplane, 20years prison time iirc
If the house belong to other, the property owner will have the rights to protect the property and privacy.

Many drone owners have the misconception that they can fly their expense plastic whatever fashion they wanted and FAA will protect them because their toys are classified as AC.

Reactions: BigAl07

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl