Flying over houses

If the house belong to other, the property owner will have the rights to protect the property and privacy.

Many drone owners have the misconception that they can fly their expense plastic whatever fashion they wanted and FAA will protect them because their toys are classified as AC.

Show us your LEGAL reference for that!!! In the US if you bring down a drone whether its over your property or not, it's a federal offense, PERIOD. There are LOCAL privacy laws that drone operators/ pilots must adhere to, but there is a right to passage as well. I have "expensive metal" that flies over private property, should I expect a property owner to "protect the property and privacy??" Some of these issues are in the courts as we speak.

2. Aircraft Sabotage (18 U.S.C. 32) | USAM | Department of Justice

Last edited:
So what are the rules for flying over houses?

I flew around the perimeter of my neighborhood above the trees thinking it was far away from houses and wouldn't cause problems. There are woods surrounding our neighborhood. Well this lady follows my drone to my house and says please don't flight anywhere near her house. Her husband is an Iraq veteran and is afraid of drones.

><

I flew around the perimeter of my neighborhood above the trees thinking it was far away from houses and wouldn't cause problems. There are woods surrounding our neighborhood. Well this lady follows my drone to my house and says please don't flight anywhere near her house. Her husband is an Iraq veteran and is afraid of drones.

><
If she was polite about it I'd honor her wishes as well as telling her that her husband's duty and service is appreciated.

For US flying, if you get any complaints like this, I suggest you honor the request as FlyboyJ suggested, regardless of your so-called rights to fly. That's more efficient than prompting the complainer to calling the police, then you potentially having to spend 30min schooling the officer about your flight rights, blah blah blah. Flying over neighborhoods is technically legal, because people are inside their house, usually. If you see people, I always steer clear of people on the ground, but seeing them sometimes isn't easy, depending on the elevation. I simply avoid flying over neighborhoods. Have I done it? Yes several times, but I certainly don't fly from my house when I do. Flying from my home would become boring anyway. I have a routine everywhere I fly. I try to stay out of sight of the public so people can't see me. I try to be hard to find, hidden in the hills, secluded areas in a park, behind a cliff, etc. Only rarely have a flown in an area where the public can see me, and that was over the ocean. My wife answered all the questions so I could focus on flying. That was very helpful. Hiding during flight creates a deterrent from people complaining to me, so I can fly in peace. If they can't find me, they can't get angry at ME, and I will never know about their objections or feel bad. I have only flown once from my home, and that was at night. Sure enough, one of my neighbors followed the craft to my house. Fortunately that neighbor is a good friend and was simply curious about the technology. I've never flown from home since, and that was 2yrs ago.

Legal or not, drones don't need anymore bad press which leads to more overbearing regulations. As I have posted many times before, the government does nothing effectively nor in moderation. Often the ones making the rules know NOTHING about the subject matter they are ruling on. I speak from almost 30 years of FAA experience.

I refrain from fly over private property where there is a reasonable expectation of privacy.

Same here... I respect the privacy of people. I never fly over running cars or crows of people. I always take my bird to different parks, lake, river or mountains. Far away as possible from people.

For US flying, if you get any complaints like this, I suggest you honor the request as FlyboyJ suggested, regardless of your so-called rights to fly. That's more efficient than prompting the complainer to calling the police, then you potentially having to spend 30min schooling the officer about your flight rights, blah blah blah. Flying over neighborhoods is technically legal, because people are inside their house, usually. If you see people, I always steer clear of people on the ground, but seeing them sometimes isn't easy, depending on the elevation. I simply avoid flying over neighborhoods. Have I done it? Yes several times, but I certainly don't fly from my house when I do. Flying from my home would become boring anyway. I have a routine everywhere I fly. I try to stay out of sight of the public so people can't see me. I try to be hard to find, hidden in the hills, secluded areas in a park, behind a cliff, etc. Only rarely have a flown in an area where the public can see me, and that was over the ocean. My wife answered all the questions so I could focus on flying. That was very helpful. Hiding during flight creates a deterrent from people complaining to me, so I can fly in peace. If they can't find me, they can't get angry at ME, and I will never know about their objections or feel bad. I have only flown once from my home, and that was at night. Sure enough, one of my neighbors followed the craft to my house. Fortunately that neighbor is a good friend and was simply curious about the technology. I've never flown from home since, and that was 2yrs ago.
Precisely my thinking. I also wear dark clothes so I am not easily spotted, and even thought about putting dark decals on the RC to hide the bright whiteness people associate with drones. Sad but true.

Also if I absolutely have to fly above houses (which I try to avoid), I fly as fast as possible and in a straight line. Most likely nobody will be able to see the drone even if they hear it zoom by, and even if they do, it will be quite obvious that I am not trying to peep in through anybody's bedroom window.

Last edited:
If anyone attempts to shoot or bring down your drone it's equivalent to them shooting a commercial airplane, 20years prison time iirc

That is ONLY the case if the FBI is called and they determine it's a case that is worthy of the time, money, and efforts. Most of the time it's left to lesser courts (civil) to sort it out.

So I could fly over homes and not get in trouble?

There is more at play here than "getting in trouble". We need to factor what's right and what we shouldn't do as well.

Can you fly over someone's home in transition to another area? Of course. Should you be low, slow and peeping on them while doing this? NO!

Keep in mind that right now regardless of what you are "really" doing any time someone sees a drone they ASSUME the operator is up to NO GOOD.

Also there could be instances where harassment and reckless behavior ordinances can come into play if you're flying in such a way that Law Enforcement feels you are.

I 'launch' from my back yard all the time... My first order of business was to introduce the drone to my neighbors (and their interested children)... I run it up to 150', let the parents watch the video and let the kids fly a little (I hold the controller, they fly the right stick only). Everyone gets their questions answered and ends up comfortable with it in the air and don't pay it any mind any more.

Most of the kids in the neighborhood are into RC cars at varying levels, so this just adds a third dimension.

Everyone in my neighborhood is cool with it. If I had someone express a concern, I would consider their house a NFZ and fly another direction.

Where I live if I couldn't fly over houses I probably just wouldn't fly.
HI I used to fly around heaps for years and suddenly a new neighborhood came visit me,,thought I was spying,,he didn't want to listen but was all good result,,now I just take off in other direction :),,do more night flying than daytime,,,enjoy

Reactions: ROD PAINTER
HI I used to fly around heaps for years and suddenly a new neighborhood came visit me,,thought I was spying,,he didn't want to listen but was all good result,,now I just take off in other direction :),,do more night flying than daytime,,,enjoy
Night time is supposed to be prohibited by the FAA. It makes sense, because we can't see very well at night.

Ha ha, 75 meters from animals, that's priceless! How will you stop a bird, a fly, a gnat or a mosquito to enter the 75 m perimeter around the drone? And what will you do if a field mouse or hedgehog scurries by, perform an emergency CSC? Jeez, what were they smoking???
Mosquito and gnat is not an animal lmao.

Night time is supposed to be prohibited by the FAA. It makes sense, because we can't see very well at night.
Yip very careful though between hills here so bit lucky on avoiding planes ..strobed up but never fly out of site

Reactions: macoman
Mosquito and gnat is not an animal lmao.

After wondering for a few moments if you were being serious, I decided that you were. Insects are a class within the arthropod phylum in the kingdom of animalia. Of course they are animals.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robvalduga