Flying My P2 Down the River

Reaction score
This aerial video stuff is still new to me and still a work in progress. This is my third attempt at it. Not perfect but getting better. It was a windy day on the Kern River in Southern California, and I have found that it is virtually impossible to get a steady shot (in the yaw axis) with ANY wind. How I wish someone made a reliable 3 axis gimbal for the P2! I had to do a lot of post production stabilization to make this video usable. Take a look and let me know what i can do better next time. :)

http://vimeo.com/89824305

Not bad at all mate!
I'd say shorten each sequence, but include more of them, with one-second transitions max .... and much of the jitter will never be noticed.
Slow flight solves much of it too.
Very nice!

bobomet said:
Not bad at all mate!
I'd say shorten each sequence, but include more of them, with one-second transitions max .... and much of the jitter will never be noticed.
Slow flight solves much of it too.
Very nice!

Thanks for the comments. Yeah, shorter sequences would have been better. But I didn't have a lot of good footage to fill up that 3 minute sound track so I had to stretch some of the sequences out. It's a slow paced song so the longer sequences kinda work alright IMHO. A fast tempo song would have demanded fast cuts.

How I wish there was a manual exposure setting on the GoPro Hero 3+. One thing I noticed when making this video was that when flying low over the river, the GoPro would change the exposure settings due to the changing lighting. Is there a way to fix this in post?

Awesome! Brave work mate!

Loved the rock shot at 2:39 !! Colors look good too.

syotr said:
DesertFlyer53 said:
How I wish there was a manual exposure setting on the GoPro Hero 3+. One thing I noticed when making this video was that when flying low over the river, the GoPro would change the exposure settings due to the changing lighting. Is there a way to fix this in post?
There is a hack:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2075674

Hmmm... sounds a little sketchy. Would be nice if GoPro came out with a firmware update to do this.

Probably by using keyframes, but I've never done it. Obviously, you'd want very fairly stable lighting if you were going to lock exposure. I have found the GoPro to be pretty good at exposure overall and don't find the changes jarring, mostly.

DesertFlyer53 said:

Great video! The more of these I see, the more I want to spring for the Zenmuse and GoPro.

Thanks for sharing!

Fink
i-LgFpTrs-M.gif

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl