Flying in mountain & in minus

Reaction score
Hey all

Planning to fly in a mountains this weekend, no wind but -4 degrees. Celsius.

Any advice?

When should i discharge the battery?
If you mean to cycle the battery, you should do it every 20 charges or when the DJI GO app tells you to do it.

How do i do it?
Fly it until the battery is low. And, then let it run with the motors and props off until it shuts off. It would be best to do this in a cool place (or point a fan at your Phantom) since the camera/gimbal and potentially other components inside will heat up while it's sitting still.

Where can i check battery temp?
Check the temp for what? You just want to make sure you keep your batteries warm until you're ready to use them.

How risky is all this?
Flying in cold weather can be perfectly safe if you follow the suggestions in the threads I linked above.

If you mean to cycle the battery, you should do it every 20 charges or when the DJI GO app tells you to do it.

Fly it until the battery is low. And, then let it run with the motors and props off until it shuts off. It would be best to do this in a cool place (or point a fan at your Phantom) since the camera/gimbal and potentially other components inside will heat up while it's sitting still.

Check the temp for what? You just want to make sure you keep your batteries warm until you're ready to use them.

Flying in cold weather can be perfectly safe if you follow the suggestions in the threads I linked above.
I see, thanks for help!

2. Allow the battery to warm up to 25°C or more. It is recommended to use the Battery Heater to warm up the battery.

Thats what it said on one of the links that you gave me, so thats why i wanted to know how to check the temperature

I fly in alberta - 24 with wind - 28 i LOVE this drone is perfect FOR me in cold winter :))

Just store it in a warm place until your ready to fly and you know it will be roughly the same temp as where it was stored.. You can use IR thermometer if you really want to, they cost <$15.

Gloves are important, I use a stylus for touch screen so I don't have to compromise warmth or dexterity with touchscreen gloves.

Follow the other advice linked above you should be fine. It seems to me my video link(wi-fi) range is affected by cold but just my experience from a few sub freezing flights I keep it in line of sight.

Wear gloves :)

That was just too funny! As soon as I read the OP's post that is what I was thinking. I then scrolled down and saw your post.

I could not recommend that more. I went out and bought a set with the fingers that can be used on touch screens. It's important to be comfortable when flying. I find I'm then not rushed into mistakes and also enjoy myself.

Edit: Oh, and update each battery with the latest firmware! PLEASE!

Reactions: dirkclod
That was just too funny! As soon as I read the OP's post that is what I was thinking. I then scrolled down and saw your post.

I could not recommend that more. I went out and bought a set with the fingers that can be used on touch screens. It's important to be comfortable when flying. I find I'm then not rushed into mistakes and also enjoy myself.

Edit: Oh, and update each battery with the latest firmware! PLEASE!
monker thumbup.gif

Reactions: ShoRotten

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl