Flying from inside house or car anyone?

Reactions: ebi718 and JohnnyB
After reading/contemplating antenna separation, I think I'll fabricate multiple antenna mounts (for my various antennas) to have two tripods, separated, each with it's antenna and amp mounted on it's tripod, able to be adjusted in angles (panel or omni) to match each flight scenario. These tripods are able to be moved in any location/angles/spacing/heights. It's one more item (each side) to deal with, but the adjustability factor warrants it. If this is able to reduce the amount of interference/blackouts/video feed lock ups, it will be worth it.
Good for full duplex mobile band systems. For half / time duplex systems things can look entirely different. There are systems that even require crosstalk.. Regarding the P4 I noticed that crosstalk occurs anyway but it doesn't seem to harm until a certain point. The amps will switch to Tx if the input signal is strong enough to get into your amp's input on the Rx "channel" of the RC. This also contributes to reduce Rx being open all the time to listen. The video is correct in what it says but there is more to consider like cable shield quality to avoid crosstalk on amp input side (had this happening) and if the loop ( it's actually never a loop like mic and a P.A. system) is actually killed by smart software. The Tx of the RC is way stronger than the P4's Tx... There will always be much higher Tx signal from the Rc on the Rx antenna. Test it with a termination plug or some 50+db attenuator on the Tx of the Rc and you will see how low the spectrum analyzer displays ( make sure to be in place without other 2.4ghz sources). This means that there is a certain use of separation but not as significant as maybe expected. I don't know if the RC blinds out its own RC signal on the Rx side. It's a digital system so it's possible. I will test 120 degrees sector antennas mounted on a rotor unit. This is simpler than the panels on the pan/tilt unit but still more effective than the omni antennas.

I actually followed you this time IBV.. (pushing glasses part way up my nose... Rather proudly) Your a wealth of knowledge ol pal.
I had considered a birdside amp mod on TX.. but it seems the mismatch in power between TX bird and TX RC has a purpose. Appreciate the input.

Sent from my XT1585 using PhantomPilots mobile app

The antennae I am testing at the moment.The L-Com 8.5dBi is for control/TX; for video/RX I am using a 6dBi low profile multi-polarized antenna that is touted to provide "unequalled wireless communication in obstructed, non-line-of-sight (NLOS) environments." (See datasheet).You can't get any more low-profile than this.
I've never heard of this type of low profile antenna. Are you going to test two of them or just one alongside the l-com?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I've never heard of this type of low profile antenna. Are you going to test two of them or just one alongside the l-com?

I will be testing the MP omni alongside the L-Com omni, swapping between control and video (not so much distance but penetration). If the results prove convincing, I will get another unit, to complete that stealth/low profile look...:)

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

If the results prove convincing, I will get another unit, to complete that stealth/low profile look...:)
You forgot to add the bit about if it proves convincing you'll be contributing to the suffering of my (and many others') wallet.

Reactions: JohnnyB
You forgot to add the bit about if it proves convincing you'll be contributing to the suffering of my (and many others') wallet.

I LOL'd.....[emoji1]

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Well thanks!!, Just thanks! Now I must go down that rabbit hole too. Reading the specs and applications of these low pro antennas has sparked my interest. Obstructed, non line of sight, penetration... That's what I like.
N-connector version: MP Antenna -Multi-Polarized Omni - Multi-Polarized 2.4GHz Omni Antenna
For mag mount version: MP Antenna - Multi-Polarized NMO - Multi-Polarized 2.4 GHz Omni Antenna (08-ANT-0899) from Solid Signal

It looks tiny to be powerful , I may be wrong but does size matter in antennae too ? !!

Reactions: Jeremiah Nelson
Well, great news here. I was doing a snowy survey of the neighborhood from the warmth and comfort of my van (31° and dropping outside) and was exceedingly impressed at flying over the entire neighborhood without any signal loss or drop outs in video...then I decided, hey, why not take a straight shot out toward the hills...so I did! I got to 10146ft before I had to turn around because of battery! I could have kept going if I didn't play around the neighborhood first. Clean channel, rf linx amps, and l-com antennas. I'm set!

(Lenord McCoy voice from Star Trek: " My God Jim, look what you've done!") As several wallets burst into flame.

Well, great news here. I was doing a snowy survey of the neighborhood from the warmth and comfort of my van (31° and dropping outside) and was exceedingly impressed at flying over the entire neighborhood without any signal loss or drop outs in video...then I decided, hey, why not take a straight shot out toward the hills...so I did! I got to 10146ft before I had to turn around because of battery! I could have kept going if I didn't play around the neighborhood first. Clean channel, rf linx amps, and l-com antennas. I'm set!

Awesome isn't it? This is what remote pilot means to me

Awesome isn't it? This is what remote pilot means to me

Absolutely, I agree. This has opened up a whole new world of exploration and it's all thanks to you and everybody contributing on this thread. Huge thanks to all!

Man I love hearing this stuff!! Thanks for sharing and congrats on getting'r done!!! Glad for ya!!

Sent from my XT1585 using PhantomPilots mobile app

I am powering my two Sunhans with 2 amp power pack through USB. 5 volts
Would it make any difference if I power them with 12 volt instead of 5 volts ?

I don't own amps, What is the input specs?

3 watts

I meant the voltage input?

These are regulated so applying the max allowed voltage will not give more transmit power than if you apply the minimum voltage. Same as the controller.

I just took the inspire 2 to almost 20,000ft using the 9dbi Hawkins on the house with just the one amp 12v. Full signal entire flight. Wind has been crazy in the mid west lately. Trip out was 45 to 50 mph. Return flight 65-70! I could have gone much much further but seeing how none of the props fit correctly and I have to shim the freaking things to make them fit snug I just came on home.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctlfreak