Flying from inside house or car anyone?

I use a DC-DC converter for the car, but I started with this - https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B010...i=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=rexuav+battery

Even has a dual plug so you can power both off of one. Always lasted me all day no matter how much I flew.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanx jhax, exactly an answer I was needing. (With link) I like this idea because of taking this setup on my boat or anywhere else besides my car. If it last you all day, I know it would last me b/c I only have 2 batteries. After I heal up from buying all this for my car set-up, I'll get a couple more. Trying my best to keep from getting into my cushion money. Small fortune this hobby is but I think the challenge of making it all work is as much the fun of it as flying. (Almost) And having to get in here to ask questions and getting the replies I also like. You guys are something. Thanks! I'll do as you did probably.. "start" with this.
It's ordered!

Sent from my XT1585 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: jhax01
Hey Turb, (or anyone else) now you get to get asked stupid questions. I know this was probably done from your house and assume you plugged your injectors into a wall outlet, but when you were in your car, what did you use exactly to power them? What did you plug into? I guess where it came with an AC plug, it's not so obvious to me.

I use a DC/AC invertor I had laying around. Plugged both power supplies into it. So I could convert it back to DC...lol
Will go DC/DC one of these days.

This came in the mail yesterday. Am going to try this Amp on my car/boat set up for www.fstop-labs.com
Same L Com Omni's, but on Magnetic bases with 10' of LMR-195 to the amp. Battery is built in.

Turbo

Mounted it on the RC just for the heck of it, put cheesy antenna's on upside down just because I could :mask:
My thought was to just attach the antenna cables from the Omni's to the amp there.
Not sure I like it mounted there.

Mounted it on the RC just for the heck of it, put cheesy antenna's on upside down just because I could :mask:
My thought was to just attach the antenna cables from the Omni's to the amp there.
Not sure I like it mounted there.

Yeah... Uhhmm... Good luck? Lol
Pretty cool for a free test though. I've heard of cutting the cheese, but not testing the cheese. [emoji15] lol

I agree, an under the remote mount would probably have a better feel.

I think my neighbor has an DC/AC converter.. may give it a try till my battery comes in. Gonna be a little over a week.

I use a cheap 200 Watt invertor.
My Alien Head Amp looks much better with the Omni's hooked to it. I would love to see how it works, but have a shortage of props :tearsofjoy: I am thinking prop guards for off roading :)
They shatter in the cold :O

My Alien Head Amp looks much better with the Omni's hooked to it. I would love to see how it works, but have a shortage of props :tearsofjoy: I am thinking prop guards for off roading :)
Lol.. woops! I have guards. Handy for that reason but they definitely show up in the footage.

Last edited:

Hope it works for you. I had to Chang from a cheap one to a more expensive "quite real sinus" converter. At the end I put all the various power supplies, converter and battery in a plastic box with handle so I can take it along easily. Extra screen, pan/tilt head, joystick controller,etc.. All supplied by one box. Take care, cheap converter can destroy some equipment. I put the 2400LTX amps into a plastic box to protect them from rain when mounting N-male antenna directly. These amps are made to be mounted upside down...

It has, 5 times :mask: Sometimes you just have to use what ya have. I didn't see a reason to use a high end Invertor to power two AC/DC convertors.
Your set up, I get it !! Mine, not so much. :)

Reactions: IBV
Well I have all my lmr 400, adapters, and antennas on the way. Just can't seem to find another rf linx amp/injector setup. Been waiting for another one to pop up on eBay, but so far no luck. I have one rf linx setup so I guess I will try the roof using only one and hope the control side is strong enough without the amp. Jeremiah told me that he only has one amp setup on his roof mounted antennas sooo hopefully it will work for me as well.

Hope that didn't come across wrong..
Hard to catch humor on a forum.

Reactions: JohnnyB and IBV
Well I have all my lmr 400, adapters, and antennas on the way. Just can't seem to find another rf linx amp/injector setup. Been waiting for another one to pop up on eBay, but so far no luck. I have one rf linx setup so I guess I will try the roof using only one and hope the control side is strong enough without the amp. Jeremiah told me that he only has one amp setup on his roof mounted antennas sooo hopefully it will work for me as well.

Depends on the situation but it will definitely help. The Rf-linx got strong and clean Rx amplification with low trigger treshold( more of dynamic). So it will work fine for you. If you cannot find another Rf-linx you can use another for Tx. The Rc is strong enough to drive a longer lmr-400 cable while still triggering Tx. A tip: Put the amp first on Tx and check how much signal is ending up at the amp using the measuring functionality of the amp. Then you know what other amp can be used on Tx ( minimum trigger signal strength.)
Another thing with this high gain Rx is that surrounding Wifi signals also get boosted and distort your signal. Of course no problem if your living in the desert... ;) My wife however doesn't appreciate that I turn off Wifi everytime I fly..:)

Reactions: JohnnyB
Depends on the situation but it will definitely help. The Rf-linx got strong and clean Rx amplification with low trigger treshold( more of dynamic). So it will work fine for you. If you cannot find another Rf-linx you can use another for Tx. The Rc is strong enough to drive a longer lmr-400 cable while still triggering Tx. A tip: Put the amp first on Tx and check how much signal is ending up at the amp using the measuring functionality of the amp. Then you know what other amp can be used on Tx ( minimum trigger signal strength.)
Another thing with this high gain Rx is that surrounding Wifi signals also get boosted and distort your signal. Of course no problem if your living in the desert... ;) My wife however doesn't appreciate that I turn off Wifi everytime I fly..:)
Thanks for the advice. Some of it is a little over my head, but I think I have the basic understanding. I am using 50' of the lmr and then going to try two 10' lengths of rg58 just cause I have it on hand. If I lose to much signal with the rg 58 then I will buy something else. I also already have the sunhan amps attached to my remote. Hope they will pick up the slack on the control side.

Thanks for the advice. Some of it is a little over my head, but I think I have the basic understanding. I am using 50' of the lmr and then going to try two 10' lengths of rg58 just cause I have it on hand. If I lose to much signal with the rg 58 then I will buy something else. I also already have the sunhan amps attached to my remote. Hope they will pick up the slack on the control side.
RG58 is no good. No use to take lmr400 to the roof and then using RG58 infront... Get something else.highflexx, Ecoflex 10,etc.. Anyway, you can measure and compare the cables using the amp's measuring functionality.
The Sunhans amp on the Rx is too much. Use it only on Tx nut not in series with the Rf-linx. It could work but I tested and the signal was getting distorted cause the Rf-linx got too much signal at the input. They got AGC and don't need high signal to boost fully.

I can tell all this is going to be hard for me to grasp. I've tried hard to keep up with it all. Don't feel alone bear, a lot is over my head. Hoping and praying I can get these amps figured out. If weather permits, I'm going to hook it all up tomorrow and give it a go. Its going to be an extension cord and power strip with Lcoms on the back porch. All I can do for now until i get the battery I ordered for the amps.

We all get the humor Turbo, I was kidding too! Your right, hard to get it on a forum. But, got to have it! Part of what I look forward to when I get on here. :) You guys are all I've got!

Reactions: IBV and Turbomania

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thedrinklabsus