Fly the P3 one-handed - possible?

Reaction score
I have a physical disability that has cost me the use of my left hand... Do folks think it's possible to fly a P3 one-handed (controller on a lanyard, of course, plus I can support it on my left ARM - it's only the hand that is nonfunctional). I have a huge handspan, so I might be able to manipulate both sticks at once with my right hand to some extent. With a conventional RC plane (or even many drones), the answer is no, because so many maneuvers require both sticks at once.
There are two things about the P3 that make me believe it might be possible... One is that the default action with no hands on the sticks is "hover", which means that the tenth of a second it takes to switch sticks is while nothing's happening. The second is that the controls are arranged in a manner that makes it seem like there would be few occasions for a complex double maneuver.
My primary interest is for photography and video - not aerobatics (I'm a landscape photographer and photo teacher)...

-Dan

Hi Dan

The great thing about the phantom, and I assume many other new generation drones, is that they almost control themselves. Hands off, they just sit there in the sky immovable. I started only moving one variable at a time; up first, then lateral movement. With a lanyard I would think it would be practical to move your right hand from one joystick to the other to vary height, direction and position, one at a time.

Go for it and good luck!

You need to try it on a flight simulator first and see if you can manage both sticks at the same time. The sticks often require minute movements of both sticks simultaneously. With a large hand span it might be possible, but definitely try it with a flight simulator. I know the Phoenix flight simulator has a couple of quad copters on it. Most RC stores have a flight simulator set up for customers to play with.
Good luck!

I would say it is easily possible.
Before I got experienced I almost used my P3 2 dimensionally.
Try to buy a transmitter tray - they used to do them for RC.
Basically all you need to do is use you right hand to push the left stick up until you are at the correct altitude - then just fly around normally.
It is so stable there is no need to rush anything!!!
Good luck with it.

And I have never found the need to move all the sticks at the same time. Yes if you want to fly it like a pro but as long as you get some good use out of it who cares.

First I agree with Man of Kent.

I'm two handed and the Phantom is easy to maneuver using one stick at a time. It's first when I try to use both hands i find it difficult... So yes, go for it.
As a platform for shooting pictures/video it's easy to control, and most people who try to shoot video using two movements at the same time usually don't know how do it properly. And the result makes the viewer disoriented.

The new flight modes (POI etc) will give you plenty of ways for nice and smooth movements while shooting video.

Reactions: Man.Of.Kent
Hey Wibble - just curious, but is this a Black Adder reference by any chance?

You must come to my estate one day. We can dig a trench and let my gamekeeper shoot at us all day. Baaaaaaaaaaay

I have a physical disability that has cost me the use of my left hand... Do folks think it's possible to fly a P3 one-handed (controller on a lanyard, of course, plus I can support it on my left ARM - it's only the hand that is nonfunctional). I have a huge handspan, so I might be able to manipulate both sticks at once with my right hand to some extent. With a conventional RC plane (or even many drones), the answer is no, because so many maneuvers require both sticks at once.
There are two things about the P3 that make me believe it might be possible... One is that the default action with no hands on the sticks is "hover", which means that the tenth of a second it takes to switch sticks is while nothing's happening. The second is that the controls are arranged in a manner that makes it seem like there would be few occasions for a complex double maneuver.
My primary interest is for photography and video - not aerobatics (I'm a landscape photographer and photo teacher)...

-Dan
You absolutely can! No reason you couldn't put a lanyard on it and support it with that and manipulate both sticks with one hand. exact spot on landing might be a challenge--

Sounds good - wish there was some way to actually SEE one (Burlington, VT)... I'd like to physically get my hand on the controller, but no store around here seems to have anything but the cheapest of drones on hand.

Sounds good - wish there was some way to actually SEE one (Burlington, VT)... I'd like to physically get my hand on the controller, but no store around here seems to have anything but the cheapest of drones on hand.
It really is easy to learn to fly it. Just jump in, get one, and take it easy. If you don't feel secure about it -- There are a few drones out there with GPS and short range that are much cheaper that you could learn on and find out if they would be a fit for you. If you keep your eyes peeled on the forum, there is a classified section, someone here may want to sell theirs-- they usually don't last long.:)

I have my thumb, my forefinger, my middle finger and several phalanges of the rest of my fingers amputated on my left hand. I have zero problems handling my phantom 3. I cannot however negotiate any playstation or other game console at all. Go for it!!!

Fry's electronics carry's them in stock, give them a call and make the drive.

Fry's electronics carry's them in stock, give them a call and make the drive.
I believe Dan is located in Burlington, VT-- May not be anything close to him

Dan,

I would imagine that your abilities with your good hand far exceed most people using both! There are some manoeuvres that require input from both sticks like banked turns. Again with your wide reach, I would think you could also achieve this. But as others have mentioned, the Phantom is so stable in the air that you don't need hands on at all. Go for it and enjoy the experience as well as sharing with a great online community.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl