Fly the P3 one-handed - possible?

Personally, I'd start out cautiously at first, definitely over green-space or other areas where a crash won't hit humans/animals.

I think you could probably manage basic flight control, but you would be limited as far as some of the more advanced maneuvers that require fine motor control of both sticks.

There are really two schools of thought at work here...

1) If you had disabled sight for example, you would not be able to get a pilot's license. This is discrimination of course, but for a very good reason. In this school of thought, some might say only to fly in very safe areas and not to try some of the more "edge-pushing" behaviors that some of us enjoy so much. This is because, like it or not, you will not be able to fully control the quad in the event of issues or unexpected problems. This is the more safety-minded view.

2) Second school of thought: go for it, disability be damned! Just because you can't fully control the thing, as others have said, the P3 is generally a very stable and well behaved bird, and I don't think a lot of the time you'd have too much issue. Again, you literally won't be able to perform some specific panning or orbiting shots that require yaw in addition to roll/pitch, but hey, you could still have a heck of a lot of fun.

Personally, I'd shoot for a balance somewhere in the middle between the two.

Also, I'd be particularly careful on take-off and landing, as both of those times can sometimes require use of both throttle/altitude and pitch/roll. In particular, as I'm a "hand catch only" kind of guy, you might ask an able bodied friend to help you do landings, where you control the bird, but your buddy catches it.

And of course, no matter what you do, practice, practice, practice! There is no substitute for experience when things don't go well.

That's my $0.02 anyway.

I would say it is easily possible.
Before I got experienced I almost used my P3 2 dimensionally.
Try to buy a transmitter tray ......

I second that recommendation. Back in the early says of my RC flying I used a tray and it gave me much finer controls. As it rests against your belly it will not turn away as you are only pushing one side off center. If if you support with your other arm it still would be an unnecessary balancing act.

Perhaps you can ask whether someone is in your area and is willing to meet with you. If I would be close I would certainly offer it and would have you try ohe-handed flying while I would support the transmitter for you. That way you could get a feel for it to make an educated decission,

Anyone out here who is close to the OP and willing to help him out?

Last edited:
Reactions: GoodnNuff
What about using the Litchi ap with a Phantom 3, wouldn't that allow the OP to replicate the more complicated moves that require both sticks at the same time by utilizing the programs Smart Shots?
Or get a 3DR Solo which can flown with one hand a bit easier than the Phantom, IMO.
But wait till spring - maybe by then 3DR will have the bugs worked out...

Dan,
Go to the DJI web site, click on Phantom 3, click on dealers, then below the map click on USA, it shows and names the authorized dealers around you. There's plenty but you will have to drive like usual :) Here's the link - Phantom 3 Professional & Advanced - Dealers | DJI

These are the authorized but there are plenty more at retail stores like Staples, etc probably closer to you.

No Fry's within 1,000 miles of Vermont.
Yea, I typed it in and it came up but was Vermont elsewhere I guess cause when I looked again I saw there were none, but DJI has stores in Vermont.

Sounds good - wish there was some way to actually SEE one (Burlington, VT)... I'd like to physically get my hand on the controller, but no store around here seems to have anything but the cheapest of drones on hand.
Try those same local hobby shops with the cheap drones and ask if they have anything that's used to fly RC planes - things like Spektrum, Futaba, etc. are all going to be pretty much the same size as the controller for the Phantom. If so, that will give you a true physical perspective of what you might be able to handle.

You definitely need to be able to practice in some form with both sticks. Many users have reported "bumps in the road" when flying their Phantoms and having to go to ATTI mode - requires a lot of manual mode control relative to full-blown GPS mode. If you "get caught" in the wind with loss of GPS and have to control your bird manually......

I wish you well in your attempt to solve your specific problem. The things are a lot of fun.

I used the atti mode with my V2+ loads of times because the GPS was crap - havent needed to yet with the P3 so one hand no probs!!!
Had to throw my P3A in ATTI mode last night due to erratic flying and compass error. Definitely a two hand operation.

I think if you fly in open areas you will be less likely to encounter problems.

Good luck!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj