Fly Away??

Correct me if I'm wrong, the Go App will show in the top center of the screen the mode you are flying, P-mode, A-mode, F-mode. It will show something like "safe to fly GPS Mode", can't remember exactly.
You should try to see what the Go App shows in the top center of the screen to save yourself the pain of trying to recover the bird. You can even try this at home, don't even need to install the propellers.
Power up RC, AC, Go App, start up the motors (without the propellers) as if you are going to launch, pay attention to the Go App in P-mode. Then move the switch in the RC to A-mode paying close attention to the center of your screen, and then move the switch to the F-mode.

I'm happy you got her back and the crash was otherwise inconsequential, live to tell the story.
The app will tell you if you are in ATTI mode. I have a few other questions regarding this flight. First, RTH will work in Atti mode provided you have GPS signals so I don't understand that problem. Second, if it crashed into a tree while in RTH then the RTH altitude is way too low and it should be at 60 to 80 meters or higher depending on the terrain. Finally, Atti mode of not, flying in the direction of the home point at full throttle should be able to battle 25 or 30mph wind. Wind layers are generally not that thin so to go from 14mph to 25 or more while staying under 400 feet is not likely. It is possible the pilot was in panic mode and moving the sticks erratically. The lesson is gain some altitude, keep your head, make sure you are in P mode, hit RTH or just give it full throttle and head for home. The Phantom is a sweet, easy flying machine. Buy a cheap quad without GPS or even a barometer and practice circles, squares and figure eights. You can then appreciate how easy it is to fly the Phantom. I have taken off and flown with reported wind speeds at 20mph so I assume it may have been higher aloft but never had a problem. If you are flying in Atti mode with a cross wind component you need to crab into the wind to keep a straight line for home. If P mode is working, the GPS will do the work for you.

Reactions: HWCM
Yesterday afternoon I was out with my Phantom 3 Professional and what a time it was.

It was a little windy, (14mph). I was up about 100 feet when suddenly I a gust of wind took the Phantom off to the west in a rather hurried fashion. I tried steering it home but I guess the wind was so strong at that altitude it just seemed to take over.
...Matchlock, could you please post (or send to the following email address) the DJIFlightRecord_*.txt file, thanks...
VaData (at) YaHoo (dot) com
IIIDaemon
www.GasRecovery.net

CONCLUSION

I need a lot more practice at (lower altitudes). More practice on calmer, less windy days, and just generally do a lot more reading. At 70 years of age, this isn't a toy to be messed with. It's a serious piece of photographic equipment that I purchased, thinking it would be a breeze to fly and take photos and video.

Make no mistake. They aren't difficult to fly, but they do require a very keen and concentrated mind when operating. There's a lot to think about when operating one of these types of birds and one must be "on his game" with complete and full attention to detail while the Phantom is in the air. I made a mistake yesterday, but I hope to learn more and try again real soon. Perhaps flip it back into the beginner mode for a while until I get a lot more experience and feel more comfortable with it. The video I get I'm quite happy with. It's my Phantom Flying skills that needs a lot of work.

Hi there, I'm another Phantom owner that's 'getting on a bit'..

I had a cheapo UAV that I crashed early days, then got a P3, but after buzzing round gaining confidence, I realised having a non GPS (I've got a Eachine €15.00/£14.00/$16.00 (on Banggood) 6 axis) toy used indoors will teach you how to fly much quicker than flying round outside with a Phantom, and will cost less when you prang it..
I'm too wary with my P3 to really learn the tricky stuff yet, but have little to lose with the Eachine (it's astonishing value for money, and flies well, like a mini P3 on acid)

Reactions: Reed L
He's talking about an aluminum gimbal saver, not the common gimbal guard that you are thinking.

This looks great. Having had a bad crash early on with my P3 with $700 repair for new camera, gimbal and shell, and a couple of minor bumps that my carbon fiber gimbal saver I believe saved me, this seems like a solid investment.

Anyone else here have one? Thoughts???

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

This looks great. Having had a bad crash early on with my P3 with $700 repair for new camera, gimbal and shell, and a couple of minor bumps that my carbon fiber gimbal saver I believe saved me, this seems like a solid investment.

You can get them on aliexpress for around £5 so def check there first :)

Sent from my Power using PhantomPilots mobile app

Yea I use them, have had 2 crashes with my P3A and neither of the crashes caused any damage to the camera. I did break a leg off of the camera mounting plate, (the one mounted to the Phantom) where the 2 pins hold it together. But a dab of gorilla glue fixed that and I'm still running that same plate 6 months later. The only thing that I changed was that I put the 2 pins in the opposite holes and just have the rubber shock on the one leg that broke. I bought the replacement mount and have it for next time but the gorilla glue dries in just a few minutes so I was only out of the air for 15 minutes tops. Then after the second crash, I pulled the camera off and flew for the first time without just for fun. The camera and gimbal guards save the camera in a crash and though it will allow it to pull apart just enough to break a mount, they keep the camera and ribbon cables away from the rocks.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D2II2LA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015H0PCDW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZNYVBWO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Then I haven't had a problem with the shells cracking around the motors with the Strong Arm Supports.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017UR1JNW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Reactions: Neon Euc

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl