Fly Away??

I tested it yesterday before fixing the body alignment and it started up fine. No errors at all. I flew it around my pond for ten or so minutes and it's running just grand.

Bud

Most likely the thin cage around the battery that holds the center board is also cracked. I had a similar event and thought I had nearly no damage. Turned out the esc board failed (motors would not start) and had to be replaced. Once opened I found a whole lot more critical internal damage.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

I think a lot of so called flyaways are similar mine was ! But fortunately I had done apprentice on Syma x8c so was able to fly back.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

My father is 93 and he still tells me to always give credit to those that deserve it. I just wanted everyone to know your suggestion was a huge help. Richard had the same suggestion so he too got a mention.

I think it's a wonderful thing that we can get so much help from good people on the Internet. It makes life so much more enjoyable, don't you think?

Anyway, thanks again.

Bud

Very flattered that you mentioned me in helping you fix your bird :) so glad its all worked out well :)

Sent from my Power using PhantomPilots mobile app

Last edited:
Reactions: Neon Euc
My father is 93 and he still tells me to always give credit to those that deserve it. I just wanted everyone to know your suggestion was a huge help. Richard had the same suggestion so he too got a mention.

I think it's a wonderful thing that we can get so much help from good people on the Internet. It makes like so much more enjoyable, don't you think?

Anyway, thanks again.

Bud
I totally agree with every word :) I have only been flying about 2 weeks and still learning myself but really enjoying this forum so much :)

Sent from my Power using PhantomPilots mobile app

Wait! You paid $48 for a gimbal saver? Holy sh#@! They are $10 all over ebay and Amazon.

Reactions: Matchlock
Yesterday afternoon I was out with my Phantom 3 Professional and what a time it was.

It was a little windy, (14mph). I was up about 100 feet when suddenly I a gust of wind took the Phantom off to the west in a rather hurried fashion. I tried steering it home but I guess the wind was so strong at that altitude it just seemed to take over.

In a bit of a panic, I hit the return to home button and heard the voice of the Phantom say "Initialising Return To Home Function." The Phantom rose to a new altitude and kept flying away to the west. I had lost control so it seemed.

A few seconds later it disappeared over the tree tops which were over 100 feet as I watched in horror on the video on the iPad Mini, the Phantom crashing into the top of a very tall Poplar. You could also see the subsequent tumbling down of the Phantom from the tree top, and then everything just stopped dead!!

Now the fun began. My son ran off toward where he thought the Phantom hit the top of the tree but didn't see any sign of it. He asked me to review the video which we did and he was able to figure out by some fence rails stacked on the property, about where it had hit a tree, and so off he went to look there. After about a half hour search, he found the Phantom on the ground at the base of the tree with one of the quick disconnect propeller guards badly broken and one propeller was broken off about two inches from the end.

The top shell is a little out of alignment with a gap between the seams. (I haven't figured out how to fix this case damage yet). There's a tiny piece of white plastic sticking out at that point preventing me from snapping the case back into place there. Oh, and the battery was lying about five feet from the Phantom when my son found it.

That was about the extent of the damage. I was extremely happy that the day before, (Saturday) I had installed the Killer RC Gimbal Guard I bought earlier at $47.99 The camera and gimbal were intact and working just fine.

DIAGNOSIS

I figured, as I said, that after hitting the RTH function, the wind at the higher altitude was just a bit too much for her and off she went. When I got home however, I noticed that I must have inadvertently slipped the Flight Mode Switch over to the "A" ("ATTI") mode and that's why the wind caught it a took it away.

CONCLUSION

I need a lot more practice at (lower altitudes). More practice on calmer, less windy days, and just generally do a lot more reading. At 70 years of age, this isn't a toy to be messed with. It's a serious piece of photographic equipment that I purchased, thinking it would be a breeze to fly and take photos and video.

Make no mistake. They aren't difficult to fly, but they do require a very keen and concentrated mind when operating. There's a lot to think about when operating one of these types of birds and one must be "on his game" with complete and full attention to detail while the Phantom is in the air. I made a mistake yesterday, but I hope to learn more and try again real soon. Perhaps flip it back into the beginner mode for a while until I get a lot more experience and feel more comfortable with it. The video I get I'm quite happy with. It's my Phantom Flying skills that needs a lot of work.

All in all I was very lucky to have my son with me as it was he who found it and saved the day. It's working fine again and I chalk that on up to pure luck.

If anyone can give me an idea how to fix the out of alignment body parts I'd very much appreciate it.

Bud
Sorry about your crash, but thanks for posting your story. Hopefully it will help to remind people that they should regularly practice atti mode flying. Cheers sir!

Thank you Oso, and that particular Gimbal Protector is sold on eBay for $10. to $15. dollars also but sometimes the holes aren't tapped, or are out of alignment, or not deep enough, or are made of plastic. I decided to buy the original one and I have absolutely no regrets.

Oh, and it's made in America, and THAT is worth plenty to me.

Bud

He's talking about an aluminum gimbal saver, not the common gimbal guard that you are thinking.

Reactions: Patoomey and Oso

I must say....HWCM has valid point here.

Thank you Oso, and that particular Gimbal Protector is sold on eBay for $10. to $15. dollars also but sometimes the holes aren't tapped, or are out of alignment, or not deep enough, or are made of plastic. I decided to buy the original one and I have absolutely no regrets.

Bud

The company that makes the parts your are referring to has been known to be one of the better ones out there. I say that based on what I have read as I have no experience with them. You mentioned plastic replacement parts, just because they are plastic does not deem them not to be used. In many cases the plastic replacement parts are a better option then some aluminum parts.

Yesterday afternoon I was out with my Phantom 3 Professional and what a time it was.

It was a little windy, (14mph). I was up about 100 feet when suddenly I a gust of wind took the Phantom off to the west in a rather hurried fashion. I tried steering it home but I guess the wind was so strong at that altitude it just seemed to take over.

In a bit of a panic, I hit the return to home button and heard the voice of the Phantom say "Initialising Return To Home Function." The Phantom rose to a new altitude and kept flying away to the west. I had lost control so it seemed.

A few seconds later it disappeared over the tree tops which were over 100 feet as I watched in horror on the video on the iPad Mini, the Phantom crashing into the top of a very tall Poplar. You could also see the subsequent tumbling down of the Phantom from the tree top, and then everything just stopped dead!!

Now the fun began. My son ran off toward where he thought the Phantom hit the top of the tree but didn't see any sign of it. He asked me to review the video which we did and he was able to figure out by some fence rails stacked on the property, about where it had hit a tree, and so off he went to look there. After about a half hour search, he found the Phantom on the ground at the base of the tree with one of the quick disconnect propeller guards badly broken and one propeller was broken off about two inches from the end.

The top shell is a little out of alignment with a gap between the seams. (I haven't figured out how to fix this case damage yet). There's a tiny piece of white plastic sticking out at that point preventing me from snapping the case back into place there. Oh, and the battery was lying about five feet from the Phantom when my son found it.

That was about the extent of the damage. I was extremely happy that the day before, (Saturday) I had installed the Killer RC Gimbal Guard I bought earlier at $47.99 The camera and gimbal were intact and working just fine.

DIAGNOSIS

I figured, as I said, that after hitting the RTH function, the wind at the higher altitude was just a bit too much for her and off she went. When I got home however, I noticed that I must have inadvertently slipped the Flight Mode Switch over to the "A" ("ATTI") mode and that's why the wind caught it a took it away.

CONCLUSION

I need a lot more practice at (lower altitudes). More practice on calmer, less windy days, and just generally do a lot more reading. At 70 years of age, this isn't a toy to be messed with. It's a serious piece of photographic equipment that I purchased, thinking it would be a breeze to fly and take photos and video.

Make no mistake. They aren't difficult to fly, but they do require a very keen and concentrated mind when operating. There's a lot to think about when operating one of these types of birds and one must be "on his game" with complete and full attention to detail while the Phantom is in the air. I made a mistake yesterday, but I hope to learn more and try again real soon. Perhaps flip it back into the beginner mode for a while until I get a lot more experience and feel more comfortable with it. The video I get I'm quite happy with. It's my Phantom Flying skills that needs a lot of work.

All in all I was very lucky to have my son with me as it was he who found it and saved the day. It's working fine again and I chalk that on up to pure luck.

If anyone can give me an idea how to fix the out of alignment body parts I'd very much appreciate it.

Bud

Just loosen the screws under the phantoms arm where the gap is and careful pry apart with something thin and plastic and pop back in[emoji1305]

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Thank you Richard;

It appears you and Neon had the same great advice. I did exactly what you lads suggested and it's as good as new again.

All the best to you, and thanks again to all who commented and made suggestions. All were at the very least, very comforting.

Bud

I had the exact same problem, and did as you know suggested.
Worked Perfect!

You helped another Phantom owner with the same problem!
Thank you for the post
and also for op.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Bud
The title in the listing says "aluminum", so why would it be plastic? I have one from Amazon, the holes and the screws all line up and fits perfectly.
It is great that it is made in the USA, but it's not worth the extra $39.00 to be made in the USA. That's just price gouging.
I am willing to bet that it is NOT made in the USA. A lot of websites say "made in the USA" but arrive in a package stamped made in China.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using PhantomPilots mobile app

As much as I can anyway. I rely a lot on friends who hep me a great deal. For example, one old friend a little older than I allows me to fly on his property. He lets me drive across his huge lawn to a remote spot on his property where I fly out of the back of my SUV. I'm either on two canes or in my wheelchair so it's a lot of work but as you say, I do have fun with it.

Thanks for your kind comment.

Bud

Aside from the crash, I think it's wonderful that at 70 yrs of age you're still out having fun like a kid.

Reactions: Reed L and Neon Euc
Kinda off topic, but does the ribbon cable saver void the warranty?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20