Floats save my drone...but not my camera

Reaction score
I have a boat and most of my flights this spring have been over water. I was nervous at first, but after reading about flying over water on this forum, I just went ahead and had some great flights...up to this past weekend. Launched off my boat and climbed to about 125' in an anchorage to get away from annoying any other boaters and proceeded to just scan around while walking to the back of my boat. Next thing I know is my tablet is announcing ATTI MODE. I look down at the screen to see nothing but tumbling sky and ground. My wife saw it go in the drink, so we went out on the dinghy to locate it. Found it with-in a minute and removed from the water upside down. At first glance I thought everything was fine but then come to realize my camera is missing and one propeller is missing a blade. Just before walking to the back of the boat, I had noticed two large black birds near the drone and my first thing I was going to do was to get away from them when I got situated. I think one of the birds my have came in contact with my drone.
Now the question: do I by just a camera and gimble from DJI for my P3 pro or buy a complete drone from them. Camera will be about have the cost.
Drone was dried out and powers up with no faults other than the camera and gimble faults.
The water is also fresh water, no salt. (Great Lakes)
Thoughts???

If you're sure all you need is a camera, then it would be cheapest to just replace that. You can get one directly from DJI or on Amazon.

After replacing your camera, you should consider loosely attaching a plastic zip tie in the other two gimbal mount holes that do not have plastic pins. That'll prevent your camera from detaching from your Phantom.

Reactions: meissner58
Thanks msinger. The camera did not detach from the gimbal mount, it was the j arm that broke. I will definitely get some sort of back up to that arm for the next drone/camera. Seems like a weak point.

is the bird you struck okay

:eek::eek:o_O

I have a boat and most of my flights this spring have been over water. I was nervous at first, but after reading about flying over water on this forum, I just went ahead and had some great flights...up to this past weekend. Launched off my boat and climbed to about 125' in an anchorage to get away from annoying any other boaters and proceeded to just scan around while walking to the back of my boat. Next thing I know is my tablet is announcing ATTI MODE. I look down at the screen to see nothing but tumbling sky and ground. My wife saw it go in the drink, so we went out on the dinghy to locate it. Found it with-in a minute and removed from the water upside down. At first glance I thought everything was fine but then come to realize my camera is missing and one propeller is missing a blade. Just before walking to the back of the boat, I had noticed two large black birds near the drone and my first thing I was going to do was to get away from them when I got situated. I think one of the birds my have came in contact with my drone.
Now the question: do I by just a camera and gimble from DJI for my P3 pro or buy a complete drone from them. Camera will be about have the cost.
Drone was dried out and powers up with no faults other than the camera and gimble faults.
The water is also fresh water, no salt. (Great Lakes)
Thoughts???
I fly alot over lake Michigan. Always trying to avoid the seagulls..You can get some amazing shots out there. Glad to hear your Phantoms ok. I would just get a new camera if everything else is ok

No gimbal guard. I really should have had one. Fresh water.
I am going to take the top off and check the interior. Just need a T6 torx bit.

Reactions: Reed L

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl